Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up Satellite

Options
  • 23-11-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Howdy,

Hope this hasn't been answered before.

I recently looked online at a provider of satelitte internet that works through a dial up connection, I even spoke to someone on the phone (they were meant to ring me back). Anyhow, I didn't have a dialup connection at the time and now that I have, I cannot seem to find the website of this provider at all at all.

They were called something like countybroadband, and were an Irish provider

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dknight

Thanks, avoid who and why?

No I don't know what LBN is. Is Skydsl a viable/costeffective option in your opinion?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Dknight wrote:
    Howdy,

Hope this hasn't been answered before.

I recently looked online at a provider of satelitte internet that works through a dial up connection, I even spoke to someone on the phone (they were meant to ring me back). Anyhow, I didn't have a dialup connection at the time and now that I have, I cannot seem to find the website of this provider at all at all.

They were called something like countybroadband, and were an Irish provider

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave:)

It was crosscountrybroadband I'd say (http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/).

I was going to give them a go too because I live in the sticks until I asked a few people about it and changed my mind.
    The thing about this kind of satellite broadband is that the weather affects it.
    Like if you ever had one of the TV satellite dishes before digital dishes came in, if it was raining heavy or there was a storm the reception goes to pot.
    Same thing with this I'd say.

Interesting link there Sponge Bob, I wonder does the weather screw up their service too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dknight

Thanks lukin,

The Skydsl only gives tarrif option to England? Can't see it being avaliable over here.

Nah, I'd say you can't get it here.
    I'll drop them a line and ask.

Edit:
    Says it's "available in many countries" but doesn't say where.

http://www.teles-skydsl.co.uk/news.php?newsid=1157032908&search=&rubrik=rphcl&page=1#ID1157032908

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

With a properly installed satellite dish, there should be no loss of reception under any but the most extreme weather conditions.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected:it is available in the ROI.
    I rang the number to find out (0049 30 590086540)

With a properly installed satellite dish, there should be no loss of reception under any but the most extreme weather conditions.

Obviously when I had that old TV satellite dish it wasn't installed properly so!
    Because everytime it rained I couldn't see feck all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm using SkyDSL right now. Extreme weather effects it alright. We are getting off it on the wireless which became available in our area after the minimum term contract.

We got Perlico 180 for 56K and use SkyDSL package with a 1GB allowance. This basically allows you to download important stuff. SkyDSL has a proxy server so I just bumped the cache up to 3GB and even using 56K is a lot faster as a result becuase you don't have to load images everytime. Just the first time.

The service with SkyDSL is reasonable but the price is high IMO when you take into account the dial up costs and you can only really use it for downloading large files. The support is good too. Email answered in a day or two.

If you have to use satellite broadband they are a good provider. If you have another option, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SkyDSL isn't Internet access. It needs a phoneline, it is only a download accelerator and real 2 way sat not much expensive, or actually cheaper if you are online all day.

Also nothing to do with DSL nor BSkyB. Very available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

brim4brim wrote:
    I'm using SkyDSL right now. Extreme weather effects it alright. We are getting off it on the wireless which became available in our area after the minimum term contract.

We got Perlico 180 for 56K and use SkyDSL package with a 1GB allowance. This basically allows you to download important stuff. SkyDSL has a proxy server so I just bumped the cache up to 3GB and even using 56K is a lot faster as a result becuase you don't have to load images everytime. Just the first time.

The service with SkyDSL is reasonable but the price is high IMO when you take into account the dial up costs and you can only really use it for downloading large files. The support is good too. Email answered in a day or two.

If you have to use satellite broadband they are a good provider. If you have another option, take it.

I am using Skydsl too on the 1MB with 1GB allowance at €16.90 per month and I find it fine for my needs although with websites getting bigger I am squeezed a little on the 1GB allowance. I use it in conjuction with BT Anytime Dial-up 180hrs @ 26.99 per month .

I have my Dish Aligned perfectly and only once in the 20 months have I have signal failure and the weather wasn't even bad. (fault on their end I reckon) I was using it last night with gale force winds from the West belting off the exposed gable wall where the Dish is aligned to Telecom 2D / Atlantic Bird 2 @ 8°West. I have 100% Signal Quality and 100% Signal Level in the DVB Data Application.

However it never seems to deliver the 1MB speed it is supposed to, say for instance that to download a website it will put it through in bursts and if the website is under 2MB it will pop it through in about 5 seconds. However if you go to download say a 20 or 50MB file it will burst through 1 or 2MB and then drop down to about 500Kbps and eventually gear down to about 110 to 125Kbps constant. Do you find this happening brim4brim??

Still I am happy enough with it and it is cheaper than my alternative Eircom's FWA @ €54 a month for 512Kbps down and 128kbps up with unlimited download. I am banking on either DSL coming available or Astra2Connect in the first quarter of next year. Astra2Connect from what I have read on it will be a cheaper version of 2way satellite. It is costing me approx €43.89 a month with €26.99 for Dial-up to BT and €16.90 for SkyDSL. SkyDSL are the cheapest one-way satellite provider I could find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We usually get about 150KB/s download on files falling from a faster speed. Websites are pretty fast, same as you.

We are looking at switching to Lastmile broadband or Ice who have just setup in our area (although I couldn't check their coverage maps as their website is broken at the moment).

Ice have just expanded into the Tullamore/Mullingar region.

Advertisement