Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange girl asking me to go for a drink!

• 23-11-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

I was walking into Trinity College last night around 11 o clock. There was a girl at the front gate, I noticed her stop a guy passing by, asking him something, and him just moving on.

She stopped me as well.

HER: "Hi, where are you going?"

ME (a little pissed, and caught off-guard): "Um, going home, I just have to..wait why are you asking me this?"

HER: "Um, do you want to go for a drink somewhere?"

ME (thinking this is all very Naked Camera): "No, you're fine thanks. Good night."

Did anyone else encounter this person?!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Was she paying??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

She good Looking??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ah I'd say there was a hidden camera somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hooker ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

She might have been a little mental.

Or...in places like Bangkok, a lot of girls lure men by making them think they are coming on to them, they go to a bar, go home with them, drug the guy and then rob him blind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ya should have gone. I don't know about you but girls ain't asking me to go for drinks every day. Who cares if she was crazy as long as she was hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"You're paying", can't believe you missed such an obvious chance to get some free booze.
    TK

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

was she a he? :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Was it Maeve O Higgins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It wasn't the same girl that stands there handing out that Herald AM yoke was it? Some people just don't know when to clock out of the 'giving people free stuff' mode.

Maybe she was just lonely? If we were in America it'd be acceptable to do this.. wouldn't it? (done tell me that all the movies have been lying to me :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Damn it you should have went and then posted the full story today so we can all live through you :|

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You should have gone for the laugh. Now you'll never know what she wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Probably just free drink and a peck on the cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Best thing to do is hang around the same place every night at around 11 in the hope of meeting her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Probably some religous nut. Had something very similar in Boston happen to me while waiting for a train, its only because I asked her more questions it went from do you want to go for a drink to please meet all my religous nuts who will be with us.

Just follow the same rules for meeting a person for the first time.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Personal_safety

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

could have ended in a long romance...just think of the stories..
    "so how did you two meet?"
    "we'll she was standing on the street asking random men to go for a drink and i was the only one crazy enough to do it, all was going great til we went back to her's and i found the bath full of heads and the pygmy in the kitchen.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

eth0_ wrote:
    go home with them, drug the guy and then rob him blind!

They take his eyes? Jesus, thats a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

probably had 2 big guys waiting to beat the living **** out of you and rob you. some laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Maybe not funny... but at least he'd KNOW! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Dragan wrote:
    In my day, it was only the kidneys they took. Jaysus, will I ever forget the day I woke up in a bath tub of Ice reading a message that told me I had 30 mins to get to a hospital. What a weekend! I send around an email on it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mossy Monk wrote:
    probably had 2 big guys waiting to beat the living **** out of you and rob you. some laugh

A shade unlikely, unless she was trying to lure you down some dark side street. The OP still hasn't said if she was nice looking though. I would probably have gone with her for the crack, just out of sheer curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

aidan24326 wrote:
    A shade unlikely, unless she was trying to lure you down some dark side street..

B0ll0x, this is becoming very common, I believe. Similar thing happened to me...
    I was walking up Dame St late one night with two male friends, and I was approached by an Irish girl, who incidentally was VERY attractive. I was drunk and in good form, so was happy to have the banter with her while I walked. I started to smell a rat though, my line of thought being that attractive legitimate girls dont usually wander up to drunken guys and engage them in leading conversation about where they live, and if they have a girlfriend etc... and I was also mindul of the fact that being clearly drunk made me an easy target. Anyway, when she continued to walk alongside me in my direction, away from where she had been, and I realised she had no friends with or near her and various other things, I knew it wasnt kosher and tried to cut the conversation short and exit stage left. Thats when she became REALLY desperate and very panicked - almost manic. I asked her what kind of trouble she was in, did she need money etc and more importanlty for my own safwety, was she being watched/followed. Long story short, we brought her into a place on Dame St. for a coffee and asked her what we could do to help her. In the space of a 5/10 minute conversation her mobile rang 4/5 times during which we could overhear short aggressive conversation from the other end. Then 3 mmmassive Eastern Eurpoean looking guys (no racism intended here - they were speaking Russiam or some other Baltic dialect) entered and walked past our table, brushed off her, stood at the door and then disappeared. It was clear they were p|mping her and letting her know that they had her clocked. She was petrifed. I suspect she was an addict as well. Anyway, she went from begging me to take her home to telling me to get away from her or I would be in danger..?!

I didnt know what to do. I rang the guards for advice, but never really expected them to be of any assistance. I tried to get an emergency Social worker number from the HSE but couldnt (no sprprise there) but did get a womens refuge number, which she wouldnt take anyway as she said her phone was checked constatntly and she'd be beaten for that. Ultimately, she left and we went on our way, but with very heavy hearts. It was very shocking to see the fear in her eyes and know what a horrific existance she had and I felt sick about not being able to do anything more constructive to help her. Incidentally she went to Alex, which not really relevant but to go from a fee paying school type background (again no genmeralisation inended) to that really reinforced to me that there but for the grace of g0d and all that.

Anyway, be very wary of going anywhere with anyone dubious like that. There very well could be two or more lads waiting to hit you up side the head and relieve you of your valuables. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Dragan wrote:

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Case like this in the papers recently. Two guys were approached on Westmoreland St. by two girls. Invited them back to their flat, the girls left the front door of the apartment building open. A few minutes later a couple of the girls' mates burst into the flat and tied the lads up, robbed the whole place and threatened to kill them.

In the same way that girls shouldn't head off with whatever dodgy lad approaches them on the street, guys should use their heads and not think 'ah yeah - I've pulled here! I've still got it.' You don't have it, you probably never did and she (and possibly her large male friends) are out to rob you and/or do other damage to your person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

well put Jeff Lebowski. Imagine what predicament you would have ended up in OP had you went off somewhere with her.

FFS i've never seen such a bunch of negative nellies and moaning micheals in my life. We have very few isolated incidents regarding a couple of girls ripping of a few lads and suddenly you can't talk to anyone. If ya never take chances in life then ya'll never live.
    If the same girl came up to ya in a pub ye wouldn't think twice about it. But because she was just standing around we get the 'oh Jesus your lucky ya weren't killed' speech. She was a little strange sure but what the hell, she was hardly a criminal mastermind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kevmy wrote:
    She was a little strange sure but what the hell, she was hardly a criminal mastermind!

and how the **** do you know what she was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

She was allright looking. Hard to say for sure though, it was raining and she had her hood up.

Maybe I should have gone for the craic. :) I'd have a more interesting story, but frankly girls approaching guys late at night on the street is *dodgy*. Perhaps I should have talked to her a bit more, but hey I had my defences up. As a previous poster stated, if it seems to good to be true, well it probably is. :)
    aidan24326 wrote:
    A shade unlikely, unless she was trying to lure you down some dark side street. The OP still hasn't said if she was nice looking though. I would probably have gone with her for the crack, just out of sheer curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

kevmy wrote:
    FFS i've never seen such a bunch of negative nellies and moaning micheals in my life. We have very few isolated incidents regarding a couple of girls ripping of a few lads and suddenly you can't talk to anyone. If ya never take chances in life then ya'll never live.
    If the same girl came up to ya in a pub ye wouldn't think twice about it. But because she was just standing around we get the 'oh Jesus your lucky ya weren't killed' speech. She was a little strange sure but what the hell, she was hardly a criminal mastermind!

I think the fact that she was had asked a guy before the op, makes it a little suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

they go to a bar, go home with them, drug the guy and then rob him blind!
    Cool, sounds like my kinda girl.. Everything except the eye robbing.. Although if she's ugly maybe that wouldn't be so bad. What kind of drugs are we talking about here?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    and how the **** do you know what she was?

Well approaching people at random asking them for a drink is a bit strange behaviour IMO but it has happened in the past I'm sure. And the level of crime is vastly over reported Ireland is still a really safe country despite what a lot of people think (gangland stuff apart but in reality very little of that impacts directly on normal people). So I think it was highly unlikely that she had some evil plan, especially if she was a college girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

kevmy wrote:
    Well approaching people at random asking them for a drink is a bit strange behaviour IMO but it has happened in the past I'm sure. And the level of crime is vastly over reported Ireland is still a really safe country despite what a lot of people think (gangland stuff apart but in reality very little of that impacts directly on normal people). So I think it was highly unlikely that she had some evil plan, especially if she was a college girl.
    You are extremely naive to think that.

How do you know she didn't have some evil plan?Do you know the girl?
    Theres posters who have already said they've encountered similar behaviour which ended up badly, what the hell makes you think this lunatic standing at a street corner asking random guys who passed her to go for a drink, is any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ScumLord wrote:
    What kind of drugs are we talking about here?
    I'm guessing cocaine, the heroin chicks are a bit to rough looking. That said doing things with someone on coke is risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was over here from the UK on a stag weekend and a lovely Irish girl came up to me in a nightclub and askd me for a drink.

We have been living together for five years and have a four year old daughter

SO BE WARNED :D

(That's the truth by the way)

rb_ie wrote:
    You are extremely naive to think that.

How do you know she didn't have some evil plan?Do you know the girl?
    Theres posters who have already said they've encountered similar behaviour which ended up badly, what the hell makes you think this lunatic standing at a street corner asking random guys who passed her to go for a drink, is any different?

Why am I naive? I personally haven't had any experiences remotely similar to some of them mentioned in the thread and don't know any mates who had either. It would be stupid to do it as well because they would have shown their face to the person they are going to rob. How easy would it be to slap them in jail after that?
    I don't know maybe this a Dublin thing. I live in Galway which I suppose is pretty quite crime wise. Still there are always people giving out in threads about Ireland becoming harsher and less friendly. This is coming about because people are more afraid of getting robbed/mugged/raped. I just refuse to live in fear of what might happen to me in some strange set of circumstances that will probably never come to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was over here from the UK on a stag weekend and a lovely Irish girl came up to me in a nightclub and askd me for a drink.

We have been living together for five years and have a four year old daughter

SO BE WARNED :D

(That's the truth by the way)

That's just terrible! :( See, Kevmy? These things do happen! Be warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

newestUser wrote:
    I was walking into Trinity College last night around 11 o clock. There was a girl at the front gate, I noticed her stop a guy passing by, asking him something, and him just moving on.

She stopped me as well.

HER: "Hi, where are you going?"

ME (a little pissed, and caught off-guard): "Um, going home, I just have to..wait why are you asking me this?"

HER: "Um, do you want to go for a drink somewhere?"

ME (thinking this is all very Naked Camera): "No, you're fine thanks. Good night."

Did anyone else encounter this person?!?!?

Yes.
    I got rid of her by asking her why are women attracted to serial killers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

kevmy wrote:

Kevmy... yes, if the girl came up to me in the pub I would be a little more amenable to it, but in fairness that might more so be due to the fact that she wasnt standing in the rain outside Trinity. With her hood up. Asking random punters to go off somewhere with her. :rolleyes: FFS, how desperate are you for a date dude? :p

Fratton Fred, nice story. A friend of mine met his wife here while on a stag from the UK (mind you, I should point out that she wasnt in fact his wife at the time :p) Once he got over the fact that she hit him up with some
    r0hypnol, robbed his cash and left him in a bathful of ice minus a kidney, the relationship really flourished.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    Fratton Fred, nice story. A friend of mine met his wife here while on a stag from the UK (mind you, I should point out that she wasnt in fact his wife at the time :p) Once he got over the fact that she hit him up with some
    r0hypnol, robbed his cash and left him in a bathful of ice minus a kidney, the relationship really flourished.:D

robbed of all your cash and missing a kidney is fairly typical for an English stag do in Dublin, well, it feels like it anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

kevmy wrote:
    Why am I naive? I personally haven't had any experiences remotely similar to some of them mentioned in the thread and don't know any mates who had either. It would be stupid to do it as well because they would have shown their face to the person they are going to rob. How easy would it be to slap them in jail after that?

Brilliant. Of course as soon as you see the scumbags robbing you then they're definitely set for a future behind bars. Definitely. Because you saw them. Yup.

That's why you're naive. Because you think that if you see someone's face then their nefarious schemes to mug and rob you are ruined.
    I don't know maybe this a Dublin thing. I live in Galway which I suppose is pretty quite crime wise. Still there are always people giving out in threads about Ireland becoming harsher and less friendly. This is coming about because people are more afraid of getting robbed/mugged/raped. I just refuse to live in fear of what might happen to me in some strange set of circumstances that will probably never come to pass.

Yeah. The thing is we're not talking here about some thing that could happen. We're talking about something that did happen. A strange girl randomly approaching people in the city centre at night and asking them to go off for a drink is odd. She's not just lonely for company - she's up to something. And chances are, it's not something good. So toddle off with her if you want to but if you do end up getting robbed then people really will look at you and say 'What the hell did you think was going to happen?'

• Advertisement

humanji wrote:
    That's just terrible! :( See, Kevmy? These things do happen! Be warned!

Yes I've learned my lesson after that horrific story.:D

Yeah. The thing is we're not talking here about some thing that could happen. We're talking about something that did happen. A strange girl randomly approaching people in the city centre at night and asking them to go off for a drink is odd. She's not just lonely for company - she's up to something. And chances are, it's not something good. So toddle off with her if you want to but if you do end up getting robbed then people really will look at you and say 'What the hell did you think was going to happen?'

But nothing happenend!! We don't know anyhting about the girl. The point I'm making is that immediately assuming thats she's only there to trick you into being robbed is a little bit of leap don't you think? And that a consensus emerged that this was her plan, I find that odd. If talking to the girl you find something strange or notice a bunch of her muscled mates following you then you have some reason to presume shes up to no good. But all I'm saying is that she's probably a harmless weirdo, theres plenty of them around.
    I mean I'm not saying I've had jumped at the chance to have a drink with a strange girl but still I wouldn't have been shaking in my boots either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Likely a prostitute, or a nut. Unlikely to be the love of your life, or even someone you would want to take home. (think STD's even if she isnt a criminal).
    I reckon Irish people are naive to scams like this, and with the level of immigration going on right now there will be plenty of victims to newer forms of crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

This happened to a mate of mine, except it was twins that took him back to there place for some "fun"
    He had great craic having his broken jaw wired up alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've had a girl outside crawdaddy ask me if i wanted to go back to her appartment nearby for a drink, turned out she was a loonie. why are the ones who come on to me always insane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ferdi wrote:
    i've had a girl outside crawdaddy ask me if i wanted to go back to her appartment nearby for a drink, turned out she was a loonie. why are the ones who come on to me always insane?

Guys do that to me, does that mean their loonies aswell?

orla wrote:

No just double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Id say if you went, you would probably have only one kidney right now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

orla wrote:

No, it just means they know an easy ride when they see one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you still have both your kidneys? Hear there's a big black market for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement