Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange girl asking me to go for a drink!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    B0ll0x, this is becoming very common, I believe. Similar thing happened to me...
    I was walking up Dame St late one night with two male friends, and I was approached by an Irish girl, who incidentally was VERY attractive. I was drunk and in good form, so was happy to have the banter with her while I walked. I started to smell a rat though, my line of thought being that attractive legitimate girls dont usually wander up to drunken guys and engage them in leading conversation about where they live, and if they have a girlfriend etc... and I was also mindul of the fact that being clearly drunk made me an easy target. Anyway, when she continued to walk alongside me in my direction, away from where she had been, and I realised she had no friends with or near her and various other things, I knew it wasnt kosher and tried to cut the conversation short and exit stage left. Thats when she became REALLY desperate and very panicked - almost manic. I asked her what kind of trouble she was in, did she need money etc and more importanlty for my own safwety, was she being watched/followed. Long story short, we brought her into a place on Dame St. for a coffee and asked her what we could do to help her. In the space of a 5/10 minute conversation her mobile rang 4/5 times during which we could overhear short aggressive conversation from the other end. Then 3 mmmassive Eastern Eurpoean looking guys (no racism intended here - they were speaking Russiam or some other Baltic dialect) entered and walked past our table, brushed off her, stood at the door and then disappeared. It was clear they were p|mping her and letting her know that they had her clocked. She was petrifed. I suspect she was an addict as well. Anyway, she went from begging me to take her home to telling me to get away from her or I would be in danger..?!

I didnt know what to do. I rang the guards for advice, but never really expected them to be of any assistance. I tried to get an emergency Social worker number from the HSE but couldnt (no sprprise there) but did get a womens refuge number, which she wouldnt take anyway as she said her phone was checked constatntly and she'd be beaten for that. Ultimately, she left and we went on our way, but with very heavy hearts. It was very shocking to see the fear in her eyes and know what a horrific existance she had and I felt sick about not being able to do anything more constructive to help her. Incidentally she went to Alex, which not really relevant but to go from a fee paying school type background (again no genmeralisation inended) to that really reinforced to me that there but for the grace of g0d and all that.

Anyway, be very wary of going anywhere with anyone dubious like that. There very well could be two or more lads waiting to hit you up side the head and relieve you of your valuables. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I read this yesterday and im still shocked by it. Im always in town and i suppose im some what blinded to whats going on around me. Its awfull sad that that girl has had to go through such misery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No, it just means they know an easy ride when they see one.

Best post in this thread so far :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heyes wrote:
    I read this yesterday and im still shocked by it. Im always in town and i suppose im some what blinded to whats going on around me. Its awfull sad that that girl has had to go through such misery.

Me too.Its really scary to think this happening to girls on the streets of dublin and all across Ireland right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats the problem.
    We were always told to keep away from strangers- and even more aptly- to beware of strangers baring gifts. Most government departments now have posters up warning civil servants that if something seems too good to be true- that it probably is (too good to be true that is....).....

There is a fascinating amount of gullibility around- or naivity- for no apparent reason.

God only knows what the story was with the girl outside Trinity. I've been approached by a girl outside the passport office on Molesworth street- well spoken but wearing illfitting clothes and claims to be 16, and seeking money for a hostel as she was being sexually abused in the citycentre and wished to get out of there. I believed her- and did give her a bus ticket and some money for a hostel- that was weeks ago- I haven't seen her around since (I work in the area).

There is an awful lot of very bad crap happening. There is no way to prove things one way or the other. Some people seeking help or trying to get people's attention undoubtedly are con artists, may be beholden to pimps, may be drug addicts or alcoholics- may be the world's best liars. Others may be genuinely making desperate attempts to reach out to people and seeking help. How do you distinguish between these- you can't. All you can do is protect yourself.

OP- the girl outside Trinity- who knows, maybe she was a loonie, maybe she was in some sort of trouble and just wanted someone- anyone- to talk to, maybe she was a hooker or a junkie, maybe she was just being friendly- who knows......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No, it just means they know an easy ride when they see one.

Meh, don't be jealous that i'm getting more sex than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    B0ll0x, this is becoming very common, I believe. Similar thing happened to me...
    I was walking up Dame St late one night with two male friends, and I was approached by an Irish girl, who incidentally was VERY attractive. I was drunk and in good form, so was happy to have the banter with her while I walked. I started to smell a rat though, my line of thought being that attractive legitimate girls dont usually wander up to drunken guys and engage them in leading conversation about where they live, and if they have a girlfriend etc... and I was also mindul of the fact that being clearly drunk made me an easy target. Anyway, when she continued to walk alongside me in my direction, away from where she had been, and I realised she had no friends with or near her and various other things, I knew it wasnt kosher and tried to cut the conversation short and exit stage left. Thats when she became REALLY desperate and very panicked - almost manic. I asked her what kind of trouble she was in, did she need money etc and more importanlty for my own safwety, was she being watched/followed. Long story short, we brought her into a place on Dame St. for a coffee and asked her what we could do to help her. In the space of a 5/10 minute conversation her mobile rang 4/5 times during which we could overhear short aggressive conversation from the other end. Then 3 mmmassive Eastern Eurpoean looking guys (no racism intended here - they were speaking Russiam or some other Baltic dialect) entered and walked past our table, brushed off her, stood at the door and then disappeared. It was clear they were p|mping her and letting her know that they had her clocked. She was petrifed. I suspect she was an addict as well. Anyway, she went from begging me to take her home to telling me to get away from her or I would be in danger..?!

I didnt know what to do. I rang the guards for advice, but never really expected them to be of any assistance. I tried to get an emergency Social worker number from the HSE but couldnt (no sprprise there) but did get a womens refuge number, which she wouldnt take anyway as she said her phone was checked constatntly and she'd be beaten for that. Ultimately, she left and we went on our way, but with very heavy hearts. It was very shocking to see the fear in her eyes and know what a horrific existance she had and I felt sick about not being able to do anything more constructive to help her. Incidentally she went to Alex, which not really relevant but to go from a fee paying school type background (again no genmeralisation inended) to that really reinforced to me that there but for the grace of g0d and all that.

Anyway, be very wary of going anywhere with anyone dubious like that. There very well could be two or more lads waiting to hit you up side the head and relieve you of your valuables. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

and there was that garda report the women in the sex industry were happy, healthy and filthy rich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

The girl was probably drunk, lonely and depressed. This kind of thing does happen quite a bit.

Also, it isn't only drunk men who are looking for sex!

Yes, the girls behaviour is a little out of the ordinary, but assuming she was part of some criminal gang is a bit sad I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

orla wrote:
    Meh, don't be jealous that i'm getting more sex than you.

of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

and there was that garda report the women in the sex industry were happy, healthy and filthy rich?

Who are you going to believe, the Gardai or someone on Boards.ie who reckons the three men who walked past him were pimps, and reckons the girl was a prostitute, when all he actually knows is that the girl was scared and a bit deranged?? He has jumped to a lot of conclusions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

newestUser wrote:
    I was walking into Trinity College last night around 11 o clock. There was a girl at the front gate, I noticed her stop a guy passing by, asking him something, and him just moving on.

She stopped me as well.

HER: "Hi, where are you going?"

ME (a little pissed, and caught off-guard): "Um, going home, I just have to..wait why are you asking me this?"

HER: "Um, do you want to go for a drink somewhere?"

ME (thinking this is all very Naked Camera): "No, you're fine thanks. Good night."

Did anyone else encounter this person?!?!?

she didnt have short black hair and a pink jacket thing did she? i had a similar thing happen to me every morning on the bus to college last year. I gave this odd girl the time of day one morning by actually reciprocating in one of her conversations. she seemed nice to begin with. bad idea. From then on, every morning when she got on the bus, she would look for me, sit down beside, and continually talk the whole way into Dublin. This is a 1 hour journey we're talking about. sometimes she'd get so worked up in her conversation she'd start crying. everyone on the bus would begin staring at me. VERY odd stuff. she'd actually sit on the bus with me as it went by her stop and follow me off the bus at mine. then wait at my bus stop with me as i waited for my second bus. as i got on it, she'd still be screaming after me "so, when will i see you again?!!"
    i had to start getting a different bus just to avoid her.

i think she got wise to this and started getting the following bus. i met her again. totally ignored her this time. she started crying and ran off the bus.
    I felt bad in a way. But this girl would seriously not even take a hint. Even asked me to break up with my girlfriend.

wtf?! anyway, yeah total nut job. If you see her on a bus, seriously, pretend to be asleep or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Couple of years ago an auld one seemed to chat me up in Tecos. Started admiring what i had bought and then said that i smelt nice, said she loved going to the cinema and asked if i had a girlfriend.

Wonder if she had a daughter....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Couple of years ago an auld one seemed to chat me up in Tecos. Started admiring what i had bought and then said that i smelt nice, said she loved going to the cinema and asked if i had a girlfriend.

Wonder if she had a daughter....

You sure that wasnt your ma?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

deswalsh wrote:
    You sure that wasnt your ma?

:D

Nah.

His ma was busy chatting me up at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

ferdi wrote:
    why are the ones who come on to me always insane?

You may have just answered your own question there.
    Irish girl came up to me in a nightclub and askd me for a drink.
    Strange! That doesn't sound like the kind of thing an Irish woman would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Could have been a psychology student carrying out a social experiment, could have been an underworld prostitution gang, could have been an attempted mugging, could have just been lonely or simply a nutjob.

She could have been anyone, and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nah...I've met girls who go out with little amounts of money, then come on to blokes so they will buy them drinks. Then **** off or whatever at the end of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yes, the girls behaviour is a little out of the ordinary, but assuming she was part of some criminal gang is a bit sad I think.

Finally some sense spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

Who are you going to believe, the Gardai or someone on Boards.ie who reckons the three men who walked past him were pimps, and reckons the girl was a prostitute, when all he actually knows is that the girl was scared and a bit deranged?? He has jumped to a lot of conclusions!

And just what, exactly, have you founded your assumptions upon Aoife? My assumptions?:rolleyes: The irony and utter hypocrisy of that is, doubtless, lost on you.

Anyway, in my opinion, when someone makes an explicit and unsolicited offer to go home with you and then gives you a price for se_x, I would not believe it to be too fantastic a leap of imagination to assume that person is indeed a prost|tute. When those series of events are then copper-fastened by 3 meatheads, who are totally out of context to the social setting you are in, locking eyes with you and behaving in a passively aggressive, intimidating fashion, I would also believe it to be fair enough to assume they may in fact be handlers for the afore mentioned prostitute.

If you prefer to believe that all se_x workers are happy, healthy and filthy rich, then thats your prerogative to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The OP was right to avoid her. I reckon there's a better chance of winning the lotto then this actually being a genuine booty call without any strings attached.......ie paying for it with either cash or broken bones or if he's really lucky, both!!

Would it be different if someone came up to him in a club and did the same? For sure.........one would assume that both parties would've consumed alot of alcohol and each of them would find it more acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Jesus people. Relax! I didn't want to start any arguments! I wasn't asking what I should/shouldn't have done, I was perfectly happy to just leave the poor girl be! Granted it would have been a better story if I'd gone for a drink and seen what her game was. I'd had a few jars on me, my judgement wasn't all it could have been, so I played it safe instead of doing something which probably would have been an interesting story to tell people, but which potentially could have led to trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ferdi wrote:
    i've had a girl outside crawdaddy ask me if i wanted to go back to her appartment nearby for a drink, turned out she was a loonie. why are the ones who come on to me always insane?
    orla wrote:
    Guys do that to me, does that mean their loonies aswell?
    you missed the point hon'.

this girl was actually crazy, a real bunny boiler, started crying and stuff, not cool, had to get the flok outta there.
    ferdi wrote:
    why are the ones who come on to me always insane?
    Pigman II wrote:
    You may have just answered your own question there.
    jesus your on the ball, arnt ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

ferdi wrote:
    jesus your on the ball, arnt ye
    yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Mossy Monk wrote:
    and how the **** do you know what she was?
    How do YOU know what she was?? He doesnt know, and neither do you, thats the whole point.

rb_ie wrote:
    How do you know she didn't have some evil plan?Do you know the girl?
    Theres posters who have already said they've encountered similar behaviour which ended up badly, what the hell makes you think this lunatic standing at a street corner asking random guys who passed her to go for a drink, is any different?

This entire post is completely ridiculas. "How do you know she didnt have some evil plan?" - How do you know she DID have an evil plan??
    Do you really go around assuming anyone that talks to you must have an "evil plan" and the onus is on them then to prove to you that they don't?!
    Get a grip!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

connundrum wrote:
    If we were in America it'd be acceptable to do this.. wouldn't it? (done tell me that all the movies have been lying to me :( )

Not when the person is asking anyone and everyone that goes by, no.

Advertisement