Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in the bus lane (At Peak Times)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

BrianD3 wrote:
    Car drivers who illegally use bus lanes are selfish, inconsiderate idiots and queue jumpers.
    I don't believe I could be called an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. But if you want to resort to personal abuse.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Their actions cause delays and aggravation for other road users.
    The only aggravation it causes is watching someone else get away with it. Don't see how it causes delays.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    If you do that the law abiding drivers who actually wait till the bus lane ends before moving into the left turn lane are unable to change to the left lane because of the f**ing moron who are zooming up the inside.

If you are indicating to get in the left turning lane, then agreed someone should let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

This is a very dangerous practice! I almost got run over by a guy speeding down a bus lane just outside my house. My dog was nearly hit too,the fella started yelling at me than....I told him where to go 8-)

I mean I wouldn't give a crap if there was some signal so that I could see them before I stepped out like a bus has (size) or what taxis have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Yakuza wrote:
    What is the point of 24-hour bus lanes, with no 24 hour bus service? :)
    Mojito wrote:
    I've often wonder about this when I'm stuck in traffic?

I'm sure they have soon stupid reason that would probably make you laugh and then make you want to punch him.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Bus lanes are for taxis and cyclists too. There may not be 24 hour buses but you can encouter a taxi or cyclist at any hour.

See what I mean, makes you want to punch him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

This is a very dangerous practice! I almost got run over by a guy speeding down a bus lane just outside my house. My dog was nearly hit too and the fella started yelling at me....I told him where to go 8-)

Look left and right before crossing the road, better yet cross at a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mojito wrote:
    Look left and right before crossing the road, better yet cross at a pedestrian crossing.

It was a pedestrian crossing and I did look left and right. I had successfully crossed one car lane and one bus lane. Some nice person in the car lane ahead of me let me walk across so I checked for taxis, signs of bus and none were there so I started to cross.
    but just as I stepped out someone came speeding up the bus lane in a ford something or other! Now that is dangerous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ballooba wrote:
    The only aggravation it causes is watching someone else get away with it. Don't see how it causes delays.
    :rolleyes:
    -causes unnecessary merging, braking, domino effect, road rage, accidents when bus lane cheaters try to force their way back into normal driving lanes
    -when you and 50 like minded drivers illegally use the bus lane to queue jump the law abiding driver now has 50 cars in front of him that should be behind him
    -as already stated buses are regularly delayed by bus lane cheaters
    -more traffic in the bus lane puts cyclists in more danger than they would be otherwise
    -if a larger proportion of drivers were to use the bus lane the traffic would be even more chaotic than it is at the moment and public transport would be even less viable as an alternative to the car.
    etc.

Do you also barge ahead of others when queuing in the post office and supermarket or do you only do it when you're in control of 1+ tonne of metal on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,394 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ballooba wrote:
    I don't believe I could be called an idiot by any stretch of the imagination. But if you want to resort to personal abuse.

The only aggravation it causes is watching someone else get away with it. Don't see how if causes delays.

Ok then, if you do it you're a selfish, inconsiderate queue-jumper. Fair? If not, please point out the inaccuracy...

It casues delays if you're stuck on the bus that's backed up by ten-fitteen inconsiderate selfish queue-jumpers. Unless a cop got there first, in which case everything's going smoothly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Stark wrote:
    Seems to be happening more and more in Finglas these days. Probably because a few people started doing it, gardaí typically drive past ignoring them and now everyone does it.

dunno i've seen them pull a ridiculous amount of people in that lane over the last two months , they are there that often that i always make sure im under the limit on that road cos i've seen em pull too many for speeding there as well

i love bus lanes , everyone always seems to forget after 7pm and on sundays you can drive in them and i hope it stays that way , funny thing is the people giving you dirty looks for driving in it when it's perfectly legal to be doing so

got pulled once in a bus lane at 6.55pm but the gaurd let me away with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

As somebody whose journey to work can take up to 50 per cent longer depending on how many people are illegally on the bus lanes I have to say that i find it really frustrating. Was getting a bus down South Circular Road the other day and a driver pulled out of Bloomfield Avenue to try and merge into the traffic in the normal lane and in the process blocked up the bus lane. She then began to reverse and I thought, fair enough maybe she didn't see the bus coming. But no. After reversing a yard or two she then turned to get a better angle to merge into the normal lane, again blocking off the bus lane. :mad: People like that are so ignorant. What I think should happen is CCTV cameras should be mounted in the front of buses. The driver could then switch them on when somebody illegally uses the bus lane, recording the licence number. They would then get a percentage of the revenue raised from the number of people they caught using bus lanes illegally.

The only people I encounter really on my route, due to time of day mostly, are taxi drivers. I stay away from buses and cyclists.

Any inconvenience I cause to taxi drivers is deserved imo given the inconvenience they usually cause.

If I am in bus lane and see a cyclist ahead I will slow down and look for a sufficent gap to move out and overtake. Just as you would in a motorway driving lane situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

You should remember that Bus lanes are also used by the emergency services (particularly Ambulance Service) and an empty bus lane enables us to respond quickly to an incident (which could be the one thats delaying you!!) or to transport someone rapidly to the nearest suitable A&E. At times between 7pm and 8pm (when realistically rush hour in Dublin is still in full swing!!) the traffic remaining out of the bus lane is a god send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 123456789

Come come my pretty said the spiider to the fly,

Plesae do keepdriving in the bus lanesa it makes free flow days so much more exciting, can nearly pretend to be crouching tiger hidden GA**A,

Gotta love thye excuses ah Ga**a thought the bus lane finished @ half * in the mornin or I didnt see the great big F**** BUS LANE written on the road.

Must go for a walk down Amien St tomorrow

Yeah, I've stopped using the Bus Lanes for the next six weeks.

That is unless there is a garda in front of me. Usually they are well spaced apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ballooba wrote:
    Yeah, I've stopped using the Bus Lanes for the next six weeks.
    That is unless there is a garda in front of me. Usually they are well spaced apart.
    Apart from it being illegal, Why do you do such an ignorant thing as drive in a bus lane ?
    Do you really think that you are more important than those in the queue and that you have the right to push past them ? Grow up :(
    Jim.

JamesM wrote:
    Apart from it being illegal, Why do you do such an ignorant thing as drive in a bus lane ?

Because it saves me time.

Most of the people I encounter on my commute are soccer moms in their SUVs after dropping the kids off to school / picking them up. They aren't queueing they're happy enough dawdling along.

123456789 wrote:
    Gotta love thye excuses ah Ga**a thought the bus lane finished @ half * in the mornin or I didnt see the great big F**** BUS LANE written on the road.

Must go for a walk down Amien St tomorrow
    Not forgetting this little gem of ignorance...
    Ballooba wrote:
    Most of the people I encounter on my commute are soccer moms in their SUVs after dropping the kids off to school / picking them up. They aren't queueing they're happy enough dawdling along.
    Today 20:00

And you moan about being called a selfish idiot? Oh deary, deary me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

I saw two guards hiding in side roads off the Rathmines Road this morning waiting to catch anybody sneaking down the bus lane. Luckily all drivers were on their best behaviour.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    And you moan about being called a selfish idiot? Oh deary, deary me....

I didn't moan about the selfish part. Just the idiot part.

Only a bit of bus laning this morning. Just one learner in a Micra clogging up Donnybrook.

ballooba wrote:
    I didn't moan about the selfish part. Just the idiot part.

Only a bit of bus laning this morning. Just one learner in a Micra clogging up Donnybrook.
    If you think that the SUV/Soccer Moms is an acceptable excuse, you're an idiot.

And it only takes one idiot to clog up a village like Donnybrook; you, Soccer Mom or Learner. Well spotted. Long live Operation Freeflow.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    And it only takes one idiot to clog up a village like Donnybrook; you, Soccer Mom or Learner. Well spotted. Long live Operation Freeflow.

I notice your location says Mayo. You may or may not be familiar with Dublin traffic.

Anyway, it is debatable whether Operation Freeflow makes trafffic better or worse at this time of year.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    I notice your location says Mayo. You may or may not be familiar with Dublin traffic.

Anyway, it is debatable whether Operation Freeflow makes trafffic better or worse at this time of year.
    I lived in Dundrum for for 30 odd years before I moved down here last summer, trust me, I've seen it all. Especially on late night opening at the shopping centre or the infamous Sandyford Industrial Estate. We have motorway connections, we have the Luas. It's still hell from what I hear. And God help you if you're NOT going into town and can't use the former.

If operation freeflow is keeping idiots and chancers from breaking the law, it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ballooba wrote:
    You don't have to come from the Pale to realise that you are a selfish, arrogant p***k.
    I suppose some common respect for others is probably a bit of a stretch for you? And no, SUVs and the like don't really cut it as a valid excuse. And claiming so only serves to show your ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Well, on my way in to work there are numerous Garda at junctions/bus lanes and all they seem to be doing is giving out to drivers in the bus lane and then telling them to get back into the driving lane. Waste of time/effort IMO. No tickets.

Having said that :o , I use one particular bus lane every evening on the way home from work. If anyone knows it, it's the one at the end of the N32, from the Baskin roundabout heading up towards the M50/M1 roundabout. Not sure if it's 24-hour or not but it's about 6pm when I use it so I know it's illegal anyway. However, I have never seen a bus in it (apart from 'out of service' buses heading back to the garage once in a blue moon). In fact, I think there are no buses that use that route anymore. Anyway, it runs for about 300 yards and the traffic is backed-up a long way in the driving lane... always. You'd think they'd change it over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Why dont you break the red lights too, you might save a few more mins. Get up earlier and dont be so selfish. You are not any more important than the other law abiding drivers.

Pataman wrote:
    Why dont you break the red lights too, you might save a few more mins. Get up earlier and dont be so selfish. You are not any more important than the other law abiding drivers.

Breaking red lights is dangerous. Driving in Bus Lanes is not.

Speeding in Bus Lane and/or Moving from driving lane to Bus Lane without using mirrors may be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Balooba, you are indeed a balooba.

We need something like this to sicken all you half wits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVkPUVUDiY&NR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ballooba wrote:
    Breaking red lights is dangerous. Driving in Bus Lanes is not.
    Nor is it dangerous to drive without insurance, abuse a Garda, urinate in public....the list is endless.

So again, your argument is fallacious. Anything useful to add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

sorry for butting in ,i don't break into bus lanes either ,in case thats the view.

i think the bus lanes are a great discipline and I hold nothing against anyone who enters them . Although I do dislike those people who you know are waiting for a view of the garda before they try and get back into the driving lane.

If you are going to use a bus lane ,use it and get on with it. If not don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Meh, not driving in the lanes anymore, found a shorter way to the city centre, mal/road, middle 3rd, howth rd, stiles rd, alife burn rd, church road, ifsc, amiest st, and finally memorial road, takes me around 15 mins from donaghmede to amies. happy (legal) days!!!!

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anybody know the buslane from the Blanchardstown Centre on Blanchardstown Road South as you head towards the N3 (map)?
    Well the sign which indicates the bus lane times does not appear until the final few yards of the bus lane. As a result, I think you are well within your rights to use the bus lane until that sign and then about 100yards just before the bus lane ends, you then have to try merge back into the outer lane...has anybody else noticed this?

Advertisement