Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in the bus lane (At Peak Times)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

These are the 35 penalty point offences from the official Depart of Transport website. Perhaps you could find the one relating to driving in a buslane?

"Failure to comply with traffic lane markings" :confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

JamesM wrote:
    "Failure to comply with traffic lane markings" :confused:

That would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Got caught in the bus lane:(

at the clare hall sc, me driving straight down, seen a guardi standing at the corner, pulled out but he had already seen me,

G, you know the peanlty for driving in the bus lane?
    VB yes a €80 fine
    G its 2 points and fine
    VB i'm sure that its just a fine
    G well i dont have my code book with me so i'll have to take your word:eek:
    VB thanks very much Guard
    G Can i have a look at your licence
    VB its at home in my wallet (The One Time I Leave It At Home)!!
    G do you have any form of id,
    VB my credit union book
    G whats your name
    VB XXXX O' Brien
    G Its a good name
    Vb whys that?
    G Its my surname too
    Vb How can you fine a member of your own family?
    G I can do what i want to whoever i want
    VB Ah, Blood is thicker than water (i know in the wrong context)

Anyway the long and short of it is i got away with it!! Shook his hand and said thanks very much.

I Know im a jammy bastard!!!!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote:
    I Know im a jammy bastard!!!!

Yes you are :)

You probably made a few bob on that Jappobarge too ;)

Slightly O/T - I thought not carrying a driving licensing is one penalty point these days? Strange the Garda didn't know that either. I suppose some people aren't equipped to remember 36 penalty points offenses even if it is their job :rolleyes:

Edit: yes there is 1 peno point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ballooba wrote:
    Breaking red lights is dangerous. Driving in Bus Lanes is not.

Speeding in Bus Lane and/or Moving from driving lane to Bus Lane without using mirrors may be dangerous.
    As a cyclist I often find that those moving from the driving lane don't use their mirrors or pass me really closely.
    I recently had a guy tailgate me when the shared bus/cycle lane wasn't wide enough for him to pass.
    Basically, in my experience, many of those that illegally use bus lanes do not take due care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

These are the 35 penalty point offences from the official Depart of Transport website. Perhaps you could find the one relating to driving in a buslane?

Failure to comply with prohibitory traffic signs

Failure to comply with traffic lane markings
    Take your pick of those two above and get back to me DB

daymobrew wrote:
    As a cyclist I often find that those moving from the driving lane don't use their mirrors or pass me really closely.
    I recently had a guy tailgate me when the shared bus/cycle lane wasn't wide enough for him to pass.
    Basically, in my experience, many of those that illegally use bus lanes do not take due care.
    Got to say I'm the polar opposite of your description. I use bus lanes all the time and I take more than due care where cyclists are concerned. Being a cyclist myself and seeing how a lot of drivers treat you I know to look out for cyclists. The majority of cyclists are douche bags though, they don't use lights in the dark and rarely use hand signals, often cutting across faster moving cars to take their turn. In this situation quite a lot don't even look let alone use a hand signal. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

FX Meister wrote:
    I take the point that the other posters have made but if driving on a footpath and driving in a cycle lane are specific PP offences, why is driving in a bus lane not listed as a specific offence? It could be argued that "Driving without reasonable consideration" could cover almost every road traffic offence.

I spoke to a neighbour who is ia Garda motorcyclist in the Traffic Corps (Hotel Alpha district AFAIK). He says that it is a €60 fine.

I've done the homework again. :)

Fixed Charge Offences
    from 3 April 2006
    (Penalty points do NOT apply to these offences)

Illegally parking a vehicle in a disabled person’s parking bay
    Failure by driver to have tax disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle
    Failure by driver to have an insurance disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle
    Illegally parking a taxi in a taxi rank
    Taxis illegally standing for hire at places other than taxi ranks
    Illegally parking or using a vehicle in a Local Authority car park
    Illegally parking a vehicle where a time restriction applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle where a Local Authority ‘pay parking’ applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle in a bus lane or
    bus-only street
    Illegally stopping or parking a vehicle at
    school entrances
    Illegally parking a vehicle other than a goods vehicle (30 mins. max.) in a loading bay during period of operation
    Illegally parking a HGV or bus in an area where a weight restriction applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle in a pedestrianised street during period of operation
    Illegally parking a vehicle other than a bus at a bus stop
    Illegally parking a bus outside the area allocated for buses at a bus stop or bus stand
    Failure to remove a vehicle parked on a cycle track before the appointed commencement of operation
    Parking a vehicle where it is prohibited to do so (e.g. double yellow lines; no parking sign; cycle track; within 5m of a road junction; where there’s a continuous white line; taxi only stands; obstructing emergency service stations; obstructing a driveway; within 15m of pedestrian crossing or traffic lights)
    Stopping or parking a vehicle in a clearway during the period stated on the traffic sign
    Illegally stopping or parking a vehicle on any part of a motorway
    Failure to obey traffic direction given by Gardai
    Failure by passenger aged 17 or over to comply with the requirements regarding the use of seat belts in front and rear seats
    Illegally entering a road with a HGV or bus where a weight restriction applies
    Failure by driver to give appropriate signals by use of indicator or specified hand signals when intending to slow down, stop or change course
    Entering a yellow box junction either partly or wholly, unless the driver can clear the area
    Driving a vehicle (other than a taxi in course of business or a cyclist) in a bus lane during the period of operation.
    Making a U-turn on a dual carriageway where a “No U-turn” traffic sign is on display
    Driving a vehicle other than a light rail vehicle on a tram lane
    Stopping or parking a vehicle other than a light rail vehicle on a tram lane

FX Meister wrote:
    I take the point that the other posters have made but if driving on a footpath and driving in a cycle lane are specific PP offences, why is driving in a bus lane not listed as a specific offence? It could be argued that "Driving without reasonable consideration" could cover almost every road traffic offence.

I spoke to a neighbour who is ia Garda motorcyclist in the Traffic Corps (Hotel Alpha district AFAIK). He says that it is a €60 fine.

I've done the homework again. :)

Fixed Charge Offences
    from 3 April 2006

Illegally parking a vehicle in a disabled person’s parking bay
    Failure by driver to have tax disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle
    Failure by driver to have an insurance disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle
    Illegally parking a taxi in a taxi rank
    Taxis illegally standing for hire at places other than taxi ranks
    Illegally parking or using a vehicle in a Local Authority car park
    Illegally parking a vehicle where a time restriction applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle where a Local Authority ‘pay parking’ applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle in a bus lane or
    bus-only street
    Illegally stopping or parking a vehicle at
    school entrances
    Illegally parking a vehicle other than a goods vehicle (30 mins. max.) in a loading bay during period of operation
    Illegally parking a HGV or bus in an area where a weight restriction applies
    Illegally parking a vehicle in a pedestrianised street during period of operation
    Illegally parking a vehicle other than a bus at a bus stop
    Illegally parking a bus outside the area allocated for buses at a bus stop or bus stand
    Failure to remove a vehicle parked on a cycle track before the appointed commencement of operation
    Parking a vehicle where it is prohibited to do so (e.g. double yellow lines; no parking sign; cycle track; within 5m of a road junction; where there’s a continuous white line; taxi only stands; obstructing emergency service stations; obstructing a driveway; within 15m of pedestrian crossing or traffic lights)
    Stopping or parking a vehicle in a clearway during the period stated on the traffic sign
    Illegally stopping or parking a vehicle on any part of a motorway
    Failure to obey traffic direction given by Gardai
    Failure by passenger aged 17 or over to comply with the requirements regarding the use of seat belts in front and rear seats
    Illegally entering a road with a HGV or bus where a weight restriction applies
    Failure by driver to give appropriate signals by use of indicator or specified hand signals when intending to slow down, stop or change course
    Entering a yellow box junction either partly or wholly, unless the driver can clear the area
    Driving a vehicle (other than a taxi in course of business or a cyclist) in a bus lane during the period of operation.
    Making a U-turn on a dual carriageway where a “No U-turn” traffic sign is on display
    Driving a vehicle other than a light rail vehicle on a tram lane
    Stopping or parking a vehicle other than a light rail vehicle on a tram lane
    I got back to you at 18.37 yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wishbone, you forgot the important bit, please may I?
    I

Fixed Charge Offences
    from 3 April 2006

FACT

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I'll do it more often so.....;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I got back to you at 18.37 yesterday!
    Yeah I know. And I like your speedy yet inconclusive reply style. Thank you for your continued cooperation but I feel no need to argue with someone who continues to be wrong yet cannot face the facts. FACT

FX Meister wrote:
    I feel no need to argue with someone who continues to be wrong yet cannot face the facts. FACT
    I'm intrigued now! You took five days to come up with that answer?

I'm not arguing with anyone. I merely provided evidence from the Department of Transport website that driving in an operational bus lane is a fixed charge offence and not a penalty point matter.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7262-0.pdf

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7424-1.pdf

That's not evidence, that's conjecture. It didn't take five days to come up with my answer, it took one minute. Do you honestly think I read your reply immediately and then pondered on what to say since then? I simply have not been on line. FACT

FX Meister wrote:
    That's not evidence, that's conjecture
    So providing relevant material from the official Department of Transport website is conjecture but an anecdote from you is evidence? Interesting. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

FX Meister wrote:
    That's not evidence, that's conjecture. It didn't take five days to come up with my answer, it took one minute. Do you honestly think I read your reply immediately and then pondered on what to say since then? I simply have not been on line. FACT

Whats with the "FACT" at the end of EVERY post, it just sounds silly especially as you have been shown to be wrong on a few points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

your not insured if you crash in a bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do you figure that one?

boomer_ie wrote:
    Whats with the "FACT" at the end of EVERY post, it just sounds silly especially as you have been shown to be wrong on a few points
    No, I haven't been shown to be wrong. Now you are just lying. I've had enough. Quit the trolling you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Okay, so no more time is wasted - Wishbone has shown where he claims it is not a penalty points offence.
    Please show the countering piece of legislation to prove your point and let everyone be the judge for themselves.

Otherwise, stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

FX Meister wrote:
    No, I haven't been shown to be wrong. Now you are just lying. I've had enough. Quit the trolling you guys.

Eh where am I lying, you stated in post 87:
    FX Meister wrote:
    So have we come to a decision about whether or not you get points? A woman that works for my mother received notification of points for driving in the bus lane. FACT

And wishbone_ash gave the full listing of current penalty point offenses in post number 91 which does NOT anywhere mention driving in a bus lane FACT (Couldnt resist that one :p )

It doesn't mention running over and killing a human being either. Give that a shot and I'm sure you'll get no points for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The relevance???
    Wishbone's post states what it does say, not what it doesn't say.
    Have you misread it or something?

Can you answer my previous request or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Course he can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

overdriver wrote:
    Course he can't.

FX Meister is a sore loser. FACT! :D

Advertisement