Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any opinions on Tesco's HiGrade laptops?

• 23-11-2006 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I was asked if a laptop in Tesco was worth the €779. It's a HiGrade model, I haven't really heard anything on these. Has anyone any first-hand experience?

It's a reasonable spec, with a Pentium M processor and 512Mb Ram. I have told the person she can get online for cheaper, but she likes the fact that she can walk in and buy it.

So any opinions on this make?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.higrade.com/

there website looks good, i guess tescos are just acting as a reseller for them.
    breviews on build quality seem good.
    the only thing to do would be compare FULL spec like-for-like with the dell equivalent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

subway wrote:
    breviews on build quality seem good.

Yeah, the few reviews I read on the net are generally ok about them. But I am a bit sceptical about such reviews - I often wonder how much "influence" a manufacturer has on some of these reviews.
    subway wrote:
    the only thing to do would be compare FULL spec like-for-like with the dell equivalent

I tried that, but I can't get a Dell with a Pentium M anymore by the looks of it. The nearest spec I got was with an AMD chip and 40Gig hard-drive (HiGrade has an 80Gig).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pentium M? 512mb RAM? All for just under €800?
    ... sounds like someone's about to get fleeced...

See if anyplace has a Core Solo/Duo of similar speed; that'd be better than trying to compare to an AMD chip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

there's nothing wrong with the pentium M chip.

It does depend on the clock speed though. The Centrino chip equals performance of core duo chips of similar speeds for everything but multi tasking and marginal battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You are totally right, nothing wrong at all with the P-M, but why bother spending that money on one when you could get a better cpu for the same price elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, it's one of those situations where a non-technical user isn't really interested in the details, they just want to know if I spend X on this laptop will it do the job I want?

They are more than willing to spend that amount despite the fact that they can save €50-€100 Euro online. Plus the "convenience" of walking in with the money and walking out with the laptop.

So spec wise, it's for Powerpoint and e-mail, nothing more. I actually think the machine is too powerful for this, but thats for another thread. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It hurts me to say it but pc world seem to have a cheap and chearful tosh on sale

http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1760&image=Toshiba
    oshiba L30-134

€599.99

* Intel Celeron M 410A Processor 1.46GHz
    * 400 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache
    * 512 MB RAM , 60 GB Hard Drive
    * Dual Layer DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
    * 15.4" Widescreen Display , 128 MB ATI Xpress 200M Graphics
    * Microsoft Windows XP Home

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

Like most half witted buyers I was thinking upon this for herself. I'm dim-witted regarding laptops so your informed opinions would be greatful

VAT free @ €600

ACER Aspire 7003WSMi

Processor: AMD Sempron 3400+ - 1.8GHz, up to 1.6GHz FSB, 256KB L2 Cache
    RAM: 512MB DDR2-533MHz - Low Cost Double Memory Offer - Call For Details!
    Hard Drive: 120GB
    Screen: 17" Widescreen TFT (1440x900 - 16:10)with CrystalBrite Technology
    Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go6100 supporting 128MB Shared Memory
    Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g - Call for advice on Wireless Networking
    Battery Life (Depending on Use): 2.5 hours
    Weight: 3.7 kg
    Warranty: 1 Year Collect and Return - Upgradeable to 3 Years!
    Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition - FREE Upgrade To Windows Vista
    Fast Ethernet 10/100
    Flash Memory Card Reader (MMC, MS, MS-pro, SD, XD)
    PCMCIA Type II Slot
    Built-In Stereo Speakers
    Built-In Microphone

Advertisement