Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Device - Is there one?

• 23-11-2006 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Is there any one handheld unit I can get, that combines all of these functions:

Sat Nav
    Phone
    PDA
    E-Mail (Outlook compatible)
    MP3 Player
    Games

And if not, which item combines most of the above? Is it a Blackberry? And are Blackberry's any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

any symbian handset will do everything except the PDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Noka N95 (Bar the PDA part). Not out until next summer though.

Has built in Sat Nav as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This will do what you want and more:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=140451

I have the previous model that doesn't have the GPS built in so I use a bluetooth module. Excellent device!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

jester77 wrote:
    This will do what you want and more:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=140451

I have the previous model that doesn't have the GPS built in so I use a bluetooth module. Excellent device!
    Does it have a phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Quad-Band EDGE/GPRS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Does it have a phone?

Has phone, bluetooth, GPS and WLAN - so plenty of ways for getting connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

not sure about games, but yep it would probably be the Nokia N95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

i'd go for the eten glofiish x500.
    it has everything you mentioned plus an fm tuner.
    basically it's the thinnest "all-in-one device" available atm.

Operating System: Windows Mobile™ 5.0 software for Pocket PCs (AKU 3.2)
    Processor: Samsung SC3 2442 400 MHz Processor
    Memory: 128 MB Flash ROM, 64 MB SDRAM
    Display: 2.8", 240 x 320, 65,536 colors, TFT-LCD
    Dimensions(LxWxH): 113 x 59.5 x 15.5 mm
    Weight: 146 (with battery)
    Communications
    GSM/EDGE Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    GPRS/EGPRS Class B, Multi-slot Class 10
    Bluetooth® v2.0 class 2 + EDR,
    WiFi IEEE802.11b/g Certificated
    GPS
    Embedded SiRF Star III chipset, TMC,
    SiRF Instant Fix ( Ephemeris Extension )
    Camera Built-in 2.0 mega pixels CMOS camera
    Expansibility: Micro SD card slot
    Interface/Audio : Built-in microphone and speaker, external stereo headset jack, hands-free mode supported
    Interface/Data: Mini USB Sync, headset jack
    Ergonomic Design : Touch screen for stylus or fingertip, navigation button, power button, 2 quick application buttons, send/end button, record button, volume control, left soft-key, right soft-key
    Battery
    Lithium Polymer rechargeable with 1,530 m
    Ah capacity
    Talk time* : 5~7 hours
    Standby* : 150~200 hours,
    Pocket PC usage* : 10~15 hours
    GPS usage* : 5~7 hours
    Software

so it has wifi-g, bluetooth, gsm/gprs, fm tuner, 2.8' screen, 400mhz processor and sirf star III gps in a discrete form factor.

the ipaq 6915 is also a gps pocket-pc phone but isn't sirfstar III gps, doesn't have an fm tuner and is a bit heavy/unwieldy.

overall i would recommend the eten x500 from its specs and positive reviews.

the only thing it lacks is 3g and a keyboard but eten are bringing out the eten m700 next month which has pretty much the same specs as the x500 but also has a slide-out keyboard (19mm thick though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

There's also the XDA Exec, It does everything your looking for, although you will need a bluetooth GPS receiver.. only €20 or so on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

whats this one like?
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=138257&sbadd=138257
    cheepest i could find anyway? is it anygood? try and hit 2 birds with 1 stone with a gps and a phone.... would cost less as 2 seprate would be 500 -600 ish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

does anyone know if the n9x range will be available on vodafone, they don't have the n90 but they do have the n91 but they seem void of any mention of the others n92 n93

anto-t wrote:
    whats this one like?
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=138257&sbadd=138257
    cheepest i could find anyway? is it anygood? try and hit 2 birds with 1 stone with a gps and a phone.... would cost less as 2 seprate would be 500 -600 ish....

that's generally regarded as a decent enough device but it doesn't have wifi and it's 23mm thick and 119mm long, a bit of a brick tbh compared to the newly released eten x500.

as i mentioned above i would recommend the eten x500 which, along with everything that the g500 has, also has wifi and is only 15.5mm thick and 113mm long. and it has an fm tuner :)

it's available at expansys here for about €650 IIRC. www.expansys.ie/b.aspx?i=140450

alternatively you could go with the htc 3300/artemis as mentioned by jester77.
    it comes with similar specs to the eten x500 and imho is a nicer looking device but it has an inferior 200mhz TI omap processor (apparently not that great if you're into skype and multitasking).

also, the micro-sd card is under the sim-card so it's not "hot-swappable" unlike with the eten x500.

the 3300/artemis also comes pre-loaded with tomtom satnav software which isn't much use in ireland yet because it's teleatlas-based. presumably however you can load your own alternative (navteq-based) satnav software on this machine but i can't be sure about this either (don't know if the pre-installed tomtom software will interfere with it).

Advertisement