Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic rule > democracy in Iraq?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Islamic rule? You realise the current sectarian infighting is on largely religiously defined grounds dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

The "Islamic Army" makes up the main spine of the Insurgency in Iraq especially in Anbar. They are secular neo Bathists and Islamic in name only. Most are made up of former Fedayin and criminals released just before the invasion in an amnesty. The chances of an Islamic state are slim even though its touted as a cut and run outcome by the yanks. It may be the case in the south to a certain extent but there again a fair proportion of Basra shias are secular too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

By Islamic rule I think he means govern under Shariah Law. But there are many Arab countries who do have a democracy today. Iran, Syria, Lebanon, (all three are secular and promote religious freedoms). Islamic rule can have some benefits but there are some drawbacks with it also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think elements of Islamic law and democracy are necessarily mutually exclusive.

However, I'm thinking that clamping down the disagreements between the different groups are likely going to require tactics which are not overly approved of in the West.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I don't think elements of Islamic law and democracy are necessarily mutually exclusive.

However, I'm thinking that clamping down the disagreements between the different groups are likely going to require tactics which are not overly approved of in the West.

NTM

I agree with ya on both points and it's why everyone who says "troops out now" gets the "stay the course" treatment...it aint gonna happen with a bunch of shiny toothed idiots with guns hanging around though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm thinking that clamping down the disagreements between the different groups are likely going to require tactics which are not overly approved of in the West.
    So you're thinking concentration camps, torture & genocide are the answers to the problems?

The 'West' in Iraq are way ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I don't think there's any chance of islamic rule working in a country where there are three separate peoples - Sunni, Shia and Kurd. The other 'successful' (i.e. not total anarchy ;)) islamic countries don't have such divides.

tbh it's difficult to use Somalia as an example for anything. A fascist dictator would have been just as good an upgrade as the islamic courts, given the chaos that reigned previously.

Advertisement