Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulled in by Garda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

tut tut tut tut tut

there's a big difference between driving in a bus lane and running a red light. I don't believe it was amber, a garda wouldn't pull you unless it was red.

people who run red lights should be banned off the road !!!!!!!!

but . . i'll give you some credit for posting it here, you could have kept it to yourself. :)

I have no problem admitting I made a mistake. Serious it was amber but I was cutting it and I know it myself. At least I can admit when I made a mistake and I would have fully agreed with the Garda if he had given me points/fine. I deserved it for doing something stupid. One and only time that will happen.

This thread by the way is not about my stupidity this morning but about how decent the Garda are, everyone makes a mistake and I am proud to say it my first stupid one in over 11 years driving.

At El Tel, why don't you grow up??

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Big Nelly wrote:
    I have no problem admitting I made a mistake. Serious it was amber but I was cutting it and I know it myself. At least I can admit when I made a mistake and I would have fully agreed with the Garda if he had given me points/fine. I deserved it for doing something stupid. One and only time that will happen.

This thread by the way is not about my stupidity this morning but about how decent the Garda are, everyone makes a mistake and I am proud to say it my first stupid one in over 11 years driving.

At El Tel, why don't you grow up??

hell, i agree with you about the garda bashing , there's too much ****e talked on this board in that area. Every section of society has its assholes, the gardai are no exception, but i detest this tarring them all with the same brush.

but keep in mind Nelly, next time someone else posts about their mistake . .a bit more humility might be the order of the day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Puteq wrote:
    The only thing is - my respect for the gardai was damaged a lot when i saw them throwing protesters over walls in Mayo, now I am not so sure what to think of them any more ...

Fair play to them for doing it, they have a job to do and if people are gonna lie in the middle of the road and obstruct it they shouldn't be suprised if the Gardai drag them off.

Never had any problems with the Gadai, only been stopped a few times at check points etc.. Turn the radio off say hello and be polite and you'll be fine.

hell, i agree with you about the garda bashing , there's too much ****e talked on this board in that area. Every section of society has its assholes, the gardai are no exception, but i detest this tarring them all with the same brush.

but keep in mind Nelly, next time someone else posts about their mistake . .a bit more humility might be the order of the day. ;)

I dont mind admitting my mistake. When I see threads on here with people who are driing 6 months and the car cuts out and they cant remember wat happened and admits it a blur then its a worry that I am on the road with someone like that. Also then saying they are a good driver it gets me upset.

Its only a forum and I am just puttin out an opinion, The person can listen or disregard. Thats the point of a forum.

Not attacking anyone personally or anything. Its not I am standing giving out to them face to face.

I made a mistake and I admit it, how many other drivers on here have done something stupid but wont admit?

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont mind admitting my mistake. When I see threads on here with people who are driing 6 months and the car cuts out and they cant remember wat happened and admits it a blur then its a worry that I am on the road with someone like that. Also then saying they are a good driver it gets me upset.

Its only a forum and I am just puttin out an opinion, The person can listen or disregard. Thats the point of a forum.

Not attacking anyone personally or anything. Its not I am standing giving out to them face to face.

I made a mistake and I admit it, how many other drivers on here have done something stupid but wont admit?

ok .. as you said it is a public forum, you are putting out your opinion. But when you put your opinion out into the public arena then it is open to be tackled.

you seem to think that you can jump on other people because they made a mistake. you say you don't attack anyone personaly, but that's exactly what you do. You jump down peoples throats and you say they are unsafe on the road. So, lets be specific. The driver you mentioned above didn't really make any serious mistake. He came on here to try to find out why his steering locked. It was explained to him his car lost power steering because his engine cut out. So what if he can't remember what exactly happened . . I can't remember what happened an hour ago. He was simply trying to figure out if his car had a mechanical fault, and you descended on him like the Spanish inquisition.

Now you claim you made a mistake. Nelly, lets be clear here. Running a red light is not making a mistake. If you thought the lights were green because you looked at the wrong filter or something . .that would be a mistake.

You knew exactly what you were doing when you jumped the lights. And as a motorcyclist who filters to the top of a queue and sees people running lights every day, i would say your action was far more dangerous and deserving of a dressing down that the actions of the OP you are talking about. And i'd be far more worried about having you on the road with me than the OP.

now you can listen or disregard. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was pulled this morning for staying in the overtaking lane (on a short stretch of road where i was taking the next right). The garda proceded to tell me that he could give me two points but was on a call. I can't see the specific offense

Possibly (?):

1. Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road.

2. Failure to comply with keep left signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was pulled this morning for staying in the overtaking lane (on a short stretch of road where i was taking the next right). The garda proceded to tell me that it was the worst driving he'd seen (no traffic behind me, in front or oncoming)

Wow, he really doesn't get out much.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Possibly (?):

1. Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road.

2. Failure to comply with keep left signs.

Perhaps yeah, though I was left of center line, and there were no keep left signs. My point though is the guy stopped me eventually at the entrance to a busy roundabout, he stopped first, i stopped behind and flicked on the hazards........to me his driving and choice of stopping point were far far more dangerous and reckless than my rather lazy sitting in an overtaking lane on an empty road (I pulled in btw when i saw a bike...his....approaching from behind, I'm not talking about holding up traffic in the fast lane or anything)...just strikes me he'd have done better getting to his "call" than disturbing all that traffic to be pedantic with me (no penalty points or previous run ins or crashs thanks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not talking about holding up traffic in the fast lane or anything)...
    Oh dear, someone just used the 'f' word :)

now you can listen or disregard. :cool:

I listen, the light was amber and it was taking the piss abit going thru it but I was willing to take my fine.

Are you one of these motorbike people who suddenly turn up at my mirror trying to pass everyone out to get in front of someone? I see it everyday so motorbike driver have nothing to complain about because they are the most dangerous drivers on the road. I seen enough about motorbike driver when second cousin was involved in a crash. Got up off ground and went home. Died in his sleep cause he had a head injury. I hate motorbikes. End of story!!!

I attacked the driver because he had a blur when something went wrong. I knew I was wrong and I can admit that. He hadnt a clue what happened. If a driver doesnt know whats going on there is a problem. There is no excuse that it was a blur. What if some kid was travellin in car beside him and he has a blur? at least when I done something wrong and Garda gave me a fright I had the sense to tell him I would move away from moving traffic so I dont hold it up. This "driver" would have a blur at this stage I guess. Good driver my ass!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

el tel wrote:
    no need for that

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

On something of a similar note, I find that if you're courteous and friendly when a garda pulls you over (even if you did something wrong), stops you at a checkpoint etc, chances are they wont even give you any hassle or grief. Some will even have a quick chat if there arent any other cars around.

Was waiting at a check point the other night, usual stuff, just checking tax, insurance, drink driving etc and there were 2 cars ahead of me. By the time I got to the Garda, I had my window down, stereo in the car was off and gave a big "Good Evening" to the Garda, he just glanced me, gave me a quick smile and waved me on.

Didnt even check my tax or insurance, which were all in order by the way.

Doesnt always work, but most appreciate it I think when they arent given a frosty reception by whoever they are speaking too.

Back on topic, its good to see that the Garda in question was very reasonable about the whole thing to the OP.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Always address a Garda as 'Sergeant', a Sergeant as 'Inspector' and so on. They love it. ;)

Always address a Garda as 'Sergeant', a Sergeant as 'Inspector' and so on. They love it. ;)

I just talked to him like I was talking to a mate, think he like the way I talked to him in a casual manner. Half the battle thou was admitting I was in wrong and that I treated him with the respect he deserves!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

el tel wrote:
    There's nothing this Cavan man likes better than to borrow a
    cap and jacket and hang out with 'the boys' down on the big
    Gardai fun-bus

banned.

personal abuse in a picture is still personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and also banned for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jaysis people it's fairly simple, get lippy and get the points thrown at ye. There's nothing wrong with trying to talk your way out of a court appearance just by being adult enough to -God forbid- apologize.

It doesn't always work, so personally I'm quite thankful when it does and I always drive off thinking "phew..."

banned.

personal abuse in a picture is still personal abuse.

Lads this thread was started to compliment the Garda and we end up with bannings??????:confused: seems you cant compliment the Garda on here!!!

Savman wrote:
    Jaysis people it's fairly simple, get lippy and get the points thrown at ye. There's nothing wrong with trying to talk your way out of a court appearance just by being adult enough to -God forbid- apologize.

It doesn't always work, so personally I'm quite thankful when it does and I always drive off thinking "phew..."

Well said man!! :D some sense at last

Big Nelly wrote:
    I listen, the light was amber and it was taking the piss abit going thru it but I was willing to take my fine.

Are you one of these motorbike people who suddenly turn up at my mirror trying to pass everyone out to get in front of someone? I see it everyday so motorbike driver have nothing to complain about because they are the most dangerous drivers on the road. I seen enough about motorbike driver when second cousin was involved in a crash. Got up off ground and went home. Died in his sleep cause he had a head injury. I hate motorbikes. End of story!!!
    And that's the sort of sweeping genralisation that dilutes your argument and reduces your opinions to nothin but a rant.

Do you hate cars for all the deaths on the road? No, you cry out about the bad drivers on the road and the deaths they cause. Yet when it comes to motorbikes, you don't see them as individual riders with different skill sets, you see them as a collective and regard them all the same.

and you'd never see me suddenly appear in your mirrors ... if your observation is of such a poor level that you can't see me comming, then you won't know i'm there until i've passed you. ;)
    I attacked the driver because he had a blur when something went wrong. I knew I was wrong and I can admit that. He hadnt a clue what happened. If a driver doesnt know whats going on there is a problem. There is no excuse that it was a blur. What if some kid was travellin in car beside him and he has a blur? at least when I done something wrong and Garda gave me a fright I had the sense to tell him I would move away from moving traffic so I dont hold it up. This "driver" would have a blur at this stage I guess. Good driver my ass!!!!!

kid has a blur or the OP has a blur. What do you think happpens to the kid if the OP has a "blur" ?
    WTF are you on about?
    You make less and less sense the more you rant. You do know that don't you?

you're highly entertaining tho!
    i'll give you that.

• Advertisement

And that's the sort of sweeping genralisation that dilutes your argument and reduces your opinions to nothin but a rant.

Do you hate cars for all the deaths on the road? No, you cry out about the bad drivers on the road and the deaths they cause. Yet when it comes to motorbikes, you don't see them as individual riders with different skill sets, you see them as a collective and regard them all the same.

and you'd never see me suddenly appear in your mirrors ... if your observation is of such a poor level that you can't see me comming, then you won't know i'm there until i've passed you. ;)

As mentioned above I hate motorbikes. This is a personal opinion. Nothing more. It doesnt help everytime I am on the road every motorbike driver I see has no respect for car drivers. But this thread has nothing to do with that so get back on topic

kid has a blur or the OP has a blur. What do you think happpens to the kid if the OP has a "blur" ?
    WTF are you on about?
    You make less and less sense the more you rant. You do know that don't you?

you're highly entertaining tho!
    i'll give you that.

Who is ranting? I am the one on here who is trying to compliment the Garda. Your the one crying and complaining so the only ranting going here is yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Big Nelly wrote:
    Who is ranting? I am the one on here who is trying to compliment the Garda. Your the one crying and complaining so the only ranting going here is yourself!!!

I think your incapable of not ranting.

This whole thread has been about you ranting about people who have no respect for guards, motorbikes and learner drivers.

Not really the most tolerant soul are you?

ballooba wrote:
    I think your incapable of not ranting.

This whole thread has been about you ranting about people who have no respect for guards, motorbikes and learner drivers.

Not really the most tolerant soul are you?

This thread was posted cause of the bad press Gardai are getting on here.

Someone else mentioned learner drivers. Not me. I have made my views very clear here in the past about learner driver,

I am not ranting about motorbikes. Just saying I hate them, like someone would say they hate a film etc. Its a personal point of view. Please read back and it was the other poster that attacked me saying I should be banned cause I ran a light.:mad:

This thread is not supposed to be about me and my opinions but about the Garda doing a good job!!!! If you have a problem with me and my posts then contact the mods!! I have had my problems before with the mods on boards but I always put my point forward and accept there points of view on the subject. Funny how nobody made any comments on El Tels post after he was banned last week for calling Garda "pigs"!!!

Would a "pig" make sure that a woman in labour got to hospital in time? ask the mods that or read kbannons thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sinbadfury

just as an observer to this thread...but I find it hard to understand how things can get so heated....its stressful enough talking out loud in a debate..but writing these things out on a forum while keeping all the anger in ain't good I'm sure....try not to take things personally or make your posts personal in nature.....that might keep the level heads and the bannings to a minimum.....keep the peace man :D

sinbadfury wrote:
    just as an observer to this thread...but I find it hard to understand how things can get so heated....its stressful enough talking out loud in a debate..but writing these things out on a forum while keeping all the anger in ain't good I'm sure....try not to take things personally or make your posts personal in nature.....that might keep the level heads and the bannings to a minimum.....keep the peace man :D

Ahh some people just come on boards to vent!!! I leave that for people on the road!! haha!! only joking, seriously you are a new user so just take the proper comments and advice and ignore the cr*p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

sinbadfury wrote:
    sticky this please!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's simple: some people like bacon, some people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Puteq
    my respect for the gardai was damaged a lot when i saw them throwing protesters over walls in Mayo

Pity it wasn't a sea wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

Puteq wrote:
    Good post. I have to say I always had a lot of respect for the good job the guards do, they work crappy hours in a job dealing with losers a lot of the time and no doubt telling people the same thing all the time so I wouldn't blame them for giving out to people sometimes.

But would you be so agreeable towards the gardai if he had not let you off? I think people bad opinions towards the gardai is negative when they do something wrong and get in trouble for it, they then shoot the proverbial messenger instead of accepting responsibility for their own actions. I got my penalty points in my time (for speeding), and while I think the speed I was doing, on the stretch of road I was on at the time I was caught, was OK, the fact is I broke the law, and so was punished accordingly - I accept it and dont blame the gardai, I blame myself. Some peoples rationale is that they did the same speed every other day and so shouldnt be busted this one time is not a valid argument. And look at it from the perspective of the gardai, they have to go the the awful scenes of traffic accidents and see the horrible aftermath, so would you blame them for busting you when you break the limit?

The only thing is - my respect for the gardai was damaged a lot when i saw them throwing protesters over walls in Mayo, now I am not so sure what to think of them any more ...

Follwin orders mate, And u said it "protesters", the warning was givin to clear the road more then once, did u see the news, did it look liake we were having fun. Rule of law is there. A protester cant have a peaceful protest while trying to ram a garda line, the car was off and ramin is the word, look up the law she wanted to drive a mpv on a public road, at the time it was not a mpv, and even if it was she would have been drving it at the line. As for the lad over the barrier, lol, laughed at that myslef, it was he goes over or he blocks traffic causin more trouble and even more strikes by the baton.Thta incident went off very well, all proper baton strikes. Thought a lesson, we will put up with so much, cross the line and thats it! about time, "pushin and shovin" ya, sure she was a angel rite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carryboy

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Nelly you should rename this thread to "Nelly learns humility!" :D:p

hmmm? why i don't i give myself a try on the strategy? :rolleyes: let you know if it works.:D

Advertisement