Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which is Best - Astra/Focus/Golf/Leon

Options
  • 23-11-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

A friend is thinking of buying a new car and she is wondering what to get. I've given her my opinions but she's looking for others views. Any ideas which is the best amongst the Astra/Focus/Golf/Leon. What are the pros and cons associated with them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

add a poll to this threead and you eill get a bettesponse and is easier to guage what ppls thought are on the individual cars from the pool

:D

personally i go for the golf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's the budget is the first question?

I always thought the Astra was a bit of a girls car though... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

if you want a petrol then the golf
    and if you want diesil the focus comes with the same engine as the 307 and its brilliant fun and sips fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Golf for me too, on my second now (TDI 130 - nice!) The 1.4 is sluggish however.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golf is gonna hold the best 2nd hand value of that bunch, also getting equipment upgrades for 2007 including standard aircon. I'd wait for the Auris though*

(*although I'm a little biased)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Out of that selection I'd choose a focus, as long as its not a 1.4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

all the 1.4 cars mentioned there are quite slow. even the Leon with its 85bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Looking at Focus & Golf today. I was looking for 1.6 but they only had 1.4s available to test drive. Focus was like a slug but surprised with Golf had a bit of pep eventhough i am use the performance specs are very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

How about something a little less ordinary: the new Civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ive had a focus and 2 leon's. Im quite tall and for some reason I prefer the sitting position of the Leon! Something to look out for. The focus handles better though but its hard to notice unless you push the car a little. 1.4 in both models are slow but sips the fuel and are economic. I had only one problem with the Focus in the two years I owned it and it was fixed quickly, the Leon is more vulnerable to electric gremlins but overall I prefer the Leon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The 1.4 versions of all cars in this segment are woefully sluggish, the Golf/Leon especially. The Toyota 1.4 is head-and-shoulders above the opposion on mph/mpg stats - from what I remember. So if it's a 1.4 I'd have to second colm_mcm's recommendation - the Auris...

Plus you get all the other Toyota benefits of reliability, resale etc. Plus it's a brand new model...

And unlike colm_mcm I'm NOT a Toyota salesman so mine is an unbiased opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

colm_mcm wrote:
    all the 1.4 cars mentioned there are quite slow. even the Leon with its 85bhp

The 1.4Leon has 74BHP like wise with the 1.4 Golf ( both 16V ) but suprisingly have a nice bit of torque in them.

Regarding comment above about being woefully slow, I wouldn't say that... they have plenty of nip in them when you really want them too, Even motorway driving isn't half as bad as you would imagine. Reason why I say this is i've driven through Uk numerous times in a 1.4Leon ( mainly motorway speeds + ) and it was perfectly capable at passing most cars out. Cruised at around 140KM/h and had a bit more power to squeeze from it when needed to pass out. So its not woefully slow, Just nothing exciting.

My choice would be either the golf or the Leon.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

HungryJoey wrote:
    The 1.4Leon has 74BHP like wise with the 1.4 Golf ( both 16V ) but suprisingly have a nice bit of torque in them.

VAG have increased the bhp of their entry level 1.4 litre for 2007 from 75bhp to 85bhp. This has just been launched in the new Leon which was only available from 1.6 litre up until recently.

Advertisement