Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copyright Laws regarding Software and Text Books

• 23-11-2006 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I was just looking for a quick clarification of the laws regarding copyright of computer software and textbooks. I am aware software falls under the 'Literary Act' but I was just wondering about the position of duplicating CD software. Are you legally allowed make one copy for yourself or is that a myth?

As for textbooks (i.e. those used in schools or colleges), how much off the book are you allowed photocopy, if any, before you breach copyright? In the case of music you are allowed use only 20% of it before infringing copyright.

Finally, for a school or small company, duplicating books and software, what is the likelyhood of them being caught and what are the penalties involved? Are the watchdogs on more of a lookout these days or are the chances of being caught slim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

cayenne wrote:
    duplicating CD software. Are you legally allowed make one copy for yourself or is that a myth?

There is an End User Licence Agreement (EULA) with the packaging of almost all software, which differs between manufacturers. If you don't have a copy then you can often obtain one from the author's or vendor's website using the Help->About menu or within the help documents. Some EULAs say you can make a (non-operational) backup for security purposes only, some say you can operate a second copy so long as both copies are not used simultaneously (e.g. a desktop and laptop copy) and some say no copies can be made. Most copyright holders provide site licenses and educational licenses at vastly reduced per-copy prices.

If you have the slightest concern about phoning the software copyright holder to describe your copies and asking their opinion then you are probably not complying.
    cayenne wrote:
    As for textbooks

If it is for academic / research use then this might help (fair dealing exemptions) http://www.tcd.ie/Library/about/copyright.php

I can think of no source for the claim that 20% of music may be used or copied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

cayenne wrote:
    I am aware software falls under the 'Literary Act' but I was just wondering about the position of duplicating CD software. Are you legally allowed make one copy for yourself or is that a myth?

From a legal point of view, unless the copyright holder gives you premmission (which could happen as Haz has said under the licence agreement you purchase under) to duplicate then no duplication is allowed
    cayenne wrote:
    As for textbooks (i.e. those used in schools or colleges), how much off the book are you allowed photocopy, if any, before you breach copyright?

Its not a question of 'how much'. Its a question of use. The general rule (excluding personal photocopoying for personal study) is that it is illegal to photocopy copyrighted works. IE in school when the teacher photocopies
    a 'worksheet' for the class, 90% of the time this is a copyright infringment.

cayenne wrote:

In the case of music you are allowed use only 20% of it before infringing copyright.

Nope
    cayenne wrote:
    Finally, for a school or small company, duplicating books and software, what is the likelyhood of them being caught and what are the penalties involved? Are the watchdogs on more of a lookout these days or are the chances of being caught slim?

You would have to be way way more specific to get a reasonable answer, however the amount of Intellectual Property litigation is skyrocketing these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does subscribing to Shareware programmes like Limewire have any effect on copyrightable software.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Limewire is not Shareware, its file sharing which is utterly different.

Limewire is not Shareware, its file sharing which is utterly different.
    Can you explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shareware is a form of software licensing whereby you can install a program and use it without paying for it, but usually only for a certain amount of time before you will be asked to pay for it before you can continue using it.

Generally Shareware licences allow you to share and duplicate the program, but each install will have the same time-limit rules.

Limewire is a program in itself. Limewire allows people to share files between eachother. Limewire doesn't care about what licensing or copyright methods are in place, and the bulk of Limewire usage is illegallly sharing files between people.

Whats the chances of a Limewire user being prosecuted.. I've yet to hear of any cases.

Advertisement