Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dividing rent fairly

Options
  • 23-11-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if people could give their opinions on what would be the fairest way to divide up the rent for a house we're about to move into.

the rent for the house is €1250 per month and there are three rooms

Room one: Double ensuite to be shared by a couple
    Room two: Double room to be used by single person
    Room three: Single room to be used by single person

any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I moved into a house with 2 mates with similar rooms.

Rather than argue or haggle over money, we played pool for pick of rooms.

Each year, we have another competition for the rooms with the person in the third room picking the event.

Simple as - but then again neither of us is particularly tight, preferring a "its only money, they'll give me more next month, no point falling out over it" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

how small is the single room?

id suggest

or thereabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭emee

ya i don't see the point in falling out over it either which is why i'd like to split it as fairly as possible... the box room is pretty small so i definately wouldn't expect them to pay over 300.

the house is in maynooth and its brand new if this makes any difference to how much people would expect to pay...

i myself was thinking along the lines of 550, 400, 300 or 500, 450, 300

maybe the first option would be best since no one in the house would be paying alot more than the others

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Equitable Houseshare

I suspect something like 550 (2x275), 400, 300 would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

e600 for the couple because it's also got an en suite, e400 for the double, e250 for the box room.

• Advertisement

how about a meet both your suggestions half way and split the difference

575 for the couple sharing double ensuite room,
    400 for single person in double room,
    275 for single person in box room

is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

have you got the box room emee?

emee wrote:
    how about a meet both your suggestions half way and split the difference

575 for the couple sharing double ensuite room,
    400 for single person in double room,
    275 for single person in box room

is that fair?
    Sure it's whatever you think yourself but personally I think that the difference between renting a double en suite room and a box room should be more than e12.50 per person per month. Even if you divided the double in two it's probably got more space than the box room and then there's the en suite too.
    That said Victor's document is very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jdivision wrote:
    Sure it's whatever you think yourself but personally I think that the difference between renting a double en suite room and a box room should be more than e12.50 per person per month. Even if you divided the double in two it's probably got more space than the box room and then there's the en suite too.
    That said Victor's document is very good.

Perhaps- but the person in the box room gets their privacy whereas the couple sharing the double do not have that level of privacy.... That is of course offset by their own bathroom.... Personally I think Victor's document is excellent.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

emee wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering if people could give their opinions on what would be the fairest way to divide up the rent for a house we're about to move into.

the rent for the house is €1250 per month and there are three rooms

Room one: Double ensuite to be shared by a couple
    Room two: Double room to be used by single person
    Room three: Single room to be used by single person

any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Hold two auctions.
    Auction largest room
    auction second largest room
    remaining person pays the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

smccarrick wrote:
    Perhaps- but the person in the box room gets their privacy whereas the couple sharing the double do not have that level of privacy.... That is of course offset by their own bathroom.... Personally I think Victor's document is excellent.....

whats privacy got to do with it? I presumed the couple were, you know, a couple - if they want privacy from each other in their own bedroom then their relationship may not have long to last....

hey no i'm not in the box room the guy who's in the box room wants to pay around 75-80 per week but i think this is too much for him to pay since the room is small but its the room he wants he's not interested in the double room. myself and my boyfriend are the couple for the double room and we don't want to be paying less per week each than the guy in the box room because i think thats unfair on him so basically the one thing it comes down to is whats an acceptable rate to expect for the double room that will be used by one person? 400?

emee wrote:
    400?
    Yep

cool thanks for all the replies at least i'll have some peace of mind and won't feel like i'm not being fair :)

Advertisement