Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband vs Eircom

Options
  • 23-11-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

I'm on eircom but i just got a month trial on NTL. They said it's twice as fast and €10 cheaper... is there some catch i'm missing? Should we ditch the eircom or the NTL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I think Eircom are one of the most expensive broadband providers in Ireland.

Especially with the poor packages they offer.

Why go with them, there are plenty of others ?

I think smart telecom have the best deal for broadband at the moment.

But they are only in certain areas, and hopefully they can stay in business as the have had a lot of recent financial trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

I used the Eircom trail for 3months (about 1 or 2 years back) . Had no problems with at all and pulled alot of data down. In that time I had never used their tech support but i have heard it diabolical - though to be honest i did not have to call them cause the service worked fine. Stilll i had to pay for a phone line rental and internet service and yeah its expensive since you in effect have to pay twice for 1 service. Rediculous.

I signed up with NTL 3mb about 18 months ago (not sure exactly) whilst living in dublin 9. Have to say It was excellent at that location. I upgraded to the 6 mb deal and moved into city centre and about that time things seemed to go down hill for quite a few NTL customers (according to the posts on boards anyways). I have never has major issues with Browsing and email but at the same my latency doubled from 30 ms to 60 ms (sometimes more) to uk game servers and BK speed tests reported speeds as low as 1 to 2 MB on some ocassions!?. In the past at certain times I have used alot of bandwidth but never recieved warnings about download/upload limits etc but again check old posts on this as others have had a very different expierence. Currently my latency is the same (bout 60 MS) but the BK speeds test are consistently alot better 4 to 6 mb.

I have also moved address 2 or 3 times and each time the NTL transition from one address to another has been smooth i.e. I call up, they deal with my request and its completed with no problems when i get to my new address (good job :) ). Also the engineers - they arrive :) and do a plesant and descent job. I think its their sales dept that handle these kinds of moves. During my last move though I called twice on to request this move on 2 separate days and i seemed to get the same eejit twice who told me I could not get my service moved to my new address as it was not available. Third time lucky i got it sorted.

Their tech is ok - have called a few times and only had to explain what tracert was once :D though in fairness the same guy did call me back later.

Oh yeah also there is always a wait time on their phones (bar sales) nothing major most of the time but sometimes I have had to wait maybe 15 - 20 minutes to get to a human.

like any call centre ... luck of the draw i think. There is talk of their network being upgrade soon so maybe i will hang on to them some more will have to wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have NTL, its great. It has had a few problems lately but I have had BT (Eircom resold) in two separate locations and it was worse than being tarred and feathered. I would go for NTL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm with NTL, to be honest if your looking to get rid of your phone line its the best route to take......see the likes of www.blueface.ie for alternatives :)

Advertisement