Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl with wireless router [problems]

Options
  • 23-11-2006 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

(On the 3meg package with a Linksys WRT54GS)

In the past few weeks and oddly enough since ntl have changed their own settings with the switch to UPC, I have been experiencing problems with my wireless network.

At first my speed decreased.Full speed on the wired connection and around half on any computer connected over the wireless network. This all happened with out changing any settings of the router. After doing a bit of research I heard the WRT54GC router had speed issues so I replaced it with a WRT54GS expecting the problems to be gone.

However, they aren't and they've only gotten worse. Now my connection randomly drops every so often for split second making MSN and other apps stop working.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried so many things on the router side of things; trying all channels and changing beacon settings etc but to no avail. Could this be an issue on ntl's side?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

will the linksys work if you stick it behind a dsl connection at a friends ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Sponge Bob wrote:
    will the linksys work if you stick it behind a dsl connection at a friends ??

Yes, it works fine on a DSL connection. It just seems to be my ntl connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Hi,

I am just after buying the same modem for use with my NTL.

I am having trouble setting the thing up and wondered if you could tell me what settings I need to use to get it going.

As for your connection dropping , I read somewhere about a similar problem earlier and it was rectified by upgrading the firmware, something to do with having a version 5.

Hope this helps a bit!

could be firmware and could be an MTU issue, you could stick the much better dd-wrt firmware on the linksys which may give you better control of the MTU .

The username after you flash to dd-wrt changes to root from admin by the way , the password wil be yours or admin or blank altogether

Hi,

I bought this Modem yesterday and hooked it up to the broadband and selected DCHP, my laptop connects to the wireless network but yet cannot get out onto the net!

Is there any settings i need to change in the linksys wireless router for it to work with NTL?

Funnily enough the netgear wireless modem that i got with NTL stopped working (hence bought the linksys) I cant see really anything wrong with the netgear.

Also I have a VOIP Grandstream 2000 phone and when I hook it to the linksys it does not connect either.

Even if i connect it directly to the NTL router it does not connect up.

Any Ideas on how to get this going would be welcome!

• Advertisement

1. hook pc direct to ntl , note the ip address it gives the pc with an IPconfig /all command
    2. set that ip (+ gateway + subnet + dns ) on the outside or wan interface of the linksys

Hi,

I did the IPconfig thing and got the following info back:

ip address 89.100.239.94
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 89.100.239.1

When you hook into the linksys modem it comes as "auto dchp" as default is that correct?

Also I dont know what the DNS1 and DNS2 are? Do I need this info and where would i get it?

Any more help would be much appreciated before I go down to Maplin and strangle the guy who told me it was a doddle to set up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Have you followed the NTL instructions to a tee ? You really do have to power up the modem with nothing plugged in, wait 30 seconds, then plug in your linksys and power it up, etc. They aren't just instructions for noobs as I found out, you need to wait and such.

ipconfig /all

gives me dns and the others.

turn off dhcp on wan interface ( not lan interface or wireless interface) of linksys and enter those fixed settings above + dns and what happens ???

and do look at dd-wrt like I said, great os

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    turn off dhcp on wan interface ( not lan interface or wireless interface) of linksys and enter those fixed settings above + dns and what happens ???
    Everything breaks when NTL assigns that IP address to someone else.

What did you think would happen?

• Advertisement

I thought he might just get it working for starters . At the moment its emmm uhmmmm broken like !

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I thought he might just get it working for starters . At the moment its emmm uhmmmm broken like !
    Then tell him that it's only going to work for an hour or two - do you think he's going to bother coming back here looking for advice when it breaks again?

it refreshes once a week not every hour and its a start. have you any better ideas instead ?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    it refreshes once a week not every hour and its a start. have you any better ideas instead ?
    I'd start by suggesting that he power down the NTL modem so that it releases the MAC address of the PC that does work, and latches onto the MAC address of the Linksys instead.

Hi All,

Tried powering down the NTL modem for 20 minutes and hooking it back up to the linksys, the linksys is configured to "auto config dchp" in the basic setup screen , still no joy with it.

The CD that comes with the linksys which is meant to configure it does not work either.

I'm presently going to give the netgear wireless router that stopped working another go and if no sucess there I will bring back the linksys to maplin, they charged e131 for the linksys and its available on komplett.ie for E79.

Could anyone here recommend a wireless router thats easy to setup with the NTL cable modem?

Advertisement