Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth insulating above attic/kitchen ext?

Options
  • 23-11-2006 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, I've a 197O's 9" block house - which get s pretty cold around now. Have double glazing and attic insulted well - hope to get drylined too if can get someone to do that round Wexford.

I have a garage and kithchen extension to side of house - this has a pitched roof over original flat felt garage roof, would it be worthwhile putting some rolls of insulation on the felt roof (i.e. floor of this "attic") or would it be waste of time & money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,582 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I suspect if you could get the insulation immediately above the ceiling of the room below, ie into the flat roof it would be more effective than putting it above the top layer of the flat roof. If cold air has access to the cavity then I think there's not much point putting insulation above it.

We did a similar job on a '70s house, we had a converted garage with a flat roof over the front half, the rest of the garage was 'in' the house. The garage room was freezing and so was the room above it. We put in a new floor with insulation in it, pumped insulation into the two exposed walls (as well as the rest of the house walls), and put a sloping roof over the flat roof. The builder stripped the flat roof, put insulation inbetween the rafters then built up the new sloping tiled roof. It has hugely improved the bedroom above and made the garage room usable, lovely and snug now.

Advertisement