Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits

Options
  • 23-11-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

We're moving out of our apartment next week. We've given the letting agency 2 months notice and are due to hand over the keys next week. On speaking with the agent, I asked would we have the deposit next week but we were told that the landlord will want to inspect the property, which is fair enough. I explained that there has been plenty of time to inspect the apartment, and there still is time, before we move out, but we were told they want to wait until we've moved out. I'm just wondering, are we entitled to our deposit before we hand back the keys. I know that there is another tenant moving in the day after we leave, so I'm concerned that there could well be damage caused by the next tenant, but it might affect our deposit.

I would appreciate advice from anybody who knows my legal rights on the issue. I don't want to cause any hassle, but we've been excellent tenants, looked after the apartment, and have always had our rent paid on time. I'm just a bit annoyed that despite all this they are delaying giving back our deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take photos when you leave. Or have the landlord / agent do an inspection as you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Victor wrote:
    Or have the landlord / agent do an inspection as you are leaving.
    Agreed, this happened with me in an apartment I lived in until recently. I finished moving in the morning and came back in the afternoon for the inspection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Thanks for the replies. I suppose the question is, am I legally entitled to have my deposit back on the day I hand over the keys. I'm just a bit annoyed that they want to make me wait, so if I know I'm legally entitled to have my deposit back, I will shout a little louder at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

MiniD wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose the question is, am I legally entitled to have my deposit back on the day I hand over the keys. I'm just a bit annoyed that they want to make me wait, so if I know I'm legally entitled to have my deposit back, I will shout a little louder at them.
    AFAIK, you are not, but if there is no issue with the house/apt on inspection, then you should get it back. The landlord has to wait until date of moving out for inspection, otherwise if they provide you with the deposit before you leave, what is to stop you thrashing the place.

Advertisement