Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping email account when changing provider

Options
  • 23-11-2006 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭

Im in the process of changing back to Eircom from BtIreland (calls, line rental and BB) as it suits my needs better but does anyone know if I can still retain my email accounts I set up with Bt at the time. I myself have 2 iol accounts and I suppose between all the family members there would be about 8 or 9 accounts either iol or esatclear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, you can still keep them. When you change providers, all you have to do in your email program is set your Outgoing server (SMTP) to that of Eircoms (I think its mail1.eircom.net) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cheers Ruu. Thats a relief as email addresses are a bit like mobile phone nos. - it mucks everything up if you change especially with work related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you use an SMTP account that uses a user name and password you can use any SMTP with any email address for sending. Some ISP only let you use their SMTP for sending. You can still pickup old mail and and use old email account.

Use the old POP server settings to pickup email. Most email clients can use multiple POP servers for email pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BUT ... BT are under no obligation to keep your old e-mail accounts active though, since you are no longer a customer of theirs. Chances are they'll probably not do anything, but if they suddenly disappear, you'll have no comeback whatsoever.

Advertisement