Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"@" instead of "Vodafone"

• 23-11-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

I just received a picture message on my phone and now my operator logo (which used to say Vodafone-IE) has an '@' sign in it's place!

Any ideas on how to get the Vodafone-IE logo back? :confused: and also, how/why it went like that in the first place?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Around lunchtime today, I noticed that a "@ symbol had replaced Vodafone" as my network provider. I checked the settings and manually changed the network to Vodafone 3G but the "@" remained. I wiped the sim card, and that didn't work either. Customer care offered no more ideas as to how this could be changed back.

I'm just wondering if I may be switched over to some crazy 500 euro per minute provider or something :( Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ciarsd wrote:
    I just received a picture message on my phone and now my operator logo (which used to say Vodafone-IE) has an '@' sign in it's place!

Any ideas on how to get the Vodafone-IE logo back? :confused: and also, how/why it went like that in the first place?

Thanks

FW reflash is whats needed - it just fell over on receiving the message (could've been a coincidence and lucky timing that both happened at the same time)

Yeah it's happened here too, showing up on my brother's 6630 as @ and my mam's 6230 as nothing i.e. blank. Seems to be some screw-up with the GPRS network since that's how Vodafone transmit the VFI and Vodafone-Ireland tags.

Quick update:

Thanks for the link breadboard by the way, seen as VF where about as much use as an inflatable dartboard - I left their store with my phone, not wanting the hassle of sending it away for repair and loosing the phone content in the process only for it to be returned still with errors (past experiences!).

So late last night, I backed the phone contents/contacts up using the PC Suite. I then carried out a simple restore on the phone using the onboard option by going to Settings --> Restore factory settings

Funnily enough, the phone is now as intended once again, I've not lost my content/contacts and its actually responding significantly faster.

My @ sign has now become 'vodafone IE' - slightly different to the VF logo of yesterday but once the phone is not liable to keel over, that doesnt bother me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Update:

I rang Vodafone an they said not to worry about it, it won't affect anything to do with your calls, bills or signal.

I was worried I was on some other network getting charged a bundle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can't just be switched to another network like that anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Vodafone say it is a problem with their system & they are working on the problem. It won't make any difference to the service.

It's this very 'mixed up customer service' that frustrates me :rolleyes:

When it happened to me, I was worried that my phone was about to die and I would lose contacts etc (only 4 weeks ago having pleaded for a new SIM upgrade, I was refused - 3 days later my SIM packed up and muggins here lost everything).
    Anyway, I called customer support to be told that it was because I was moving between masts for signal (hence the logo change :confused:).

Not happy with the answer I called back about 15 minutes later to speak with someone else who in turn put me onto a technician. He said best bring the phone into a store. So off I went that evening to the shop, to be told that they can do nothing other than send the phone for repair (FW reflash!).

I wasn't happy with that as I really didnt think that was the issue personally. I ended up doing the above (my previous post) and all is fine once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I really hate it when CC tells people to bring phones into the shop. The shop is there to sell phones. They are not technical support. No phone shop that I know of can do FW upgrades (referring to operator shops like O2, Meteor etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

this happened me to day when i downloaded isp settings, isn't the a in vodafone '@' ???

D.

ciarsd wrote:
    So late last night, I backed the phone contents/contacts up using the PC Suite. I then carried out a simple restore on the phone using the onboard option by going to Settings --> Restore factory settings

Funnily enough, the phone is now as intended once again, I've not lost my content/contacts and its actually responding significantly faster.

My @ sign has now become 'vodafone IE' - slightly different to the VF logo of yesterday but once the phone is not liable to keel over, that doesnt bother me :)
    This will always fix the problem but next time the GPRS network is accessed it will change back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Years ago when I used to order custom operator logos from dialaring.com (an irish company?) I coulld later ask for a "reset logo" that I could save and it would reset whatever rubbish I'd bought. Alas that link is gone any ideas? I got a white logo but I need a transparent one, why doesn't vodafone have a "send me a reset logo" option in MyVodafone?

Nokias which don't have a menu entry to disable the logo have a code which can be used to reset the logo. It's *#67705646# (*#opr0logo#).

If you want a blank logo, go to www.jhonny.org/wap on your phone. Enter 0 into the box and choose OK. This will download a blank logo to your phone. Only the normal GPRS charge applies.

Karsini wrote:
    This will always fix the problem but next time the GPRS network is accessed it will change back again.

I've used the phone several times since, over GPRS, and it has remained the same so far "vodafone IE" :)

ciarsd wrote:
    I've used the phone several times since, over GPRS, and it has remained the same so far "vodafone IE" :)
    That's good. Usually it changes to VFI or Vodafone-Ireland but maybe they've stopped transmitting the name due to this mess up. If that is the case then everyone may need to default their phones to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

God and there was me thinking it was just me with this @ thing!!! Mine went back to normal this morning . So it looks like they sorted it out.

Yeah I see the name has been changed to "Vodafone IE" now, compared to the "vodafone IE" that's on the SIM. Either way, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Lol, my logo is still "Eircell".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

BopNiblets wrote:
    Lol, my logo is still "Eircell".

That's probably because you have an old sim card. You can get it replaced for free if you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement