Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun chokes

Options
  • 23-11-2006 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I got my shot gun recently but i don't understand how the choke sizes work.
    I have IM, IMP MOD, IC, IMP CYL, CYL. I had a look on the net but i cant find anything sufficient.

If any of you guys in the know would share your knowledge it would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Chopperdog is the man to explain all this properly, I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

In the meantime-
    the different choke sizes control how quickly the shot charge spreads out as it moves away from the muzzle of the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Choke sizes list about 3/4 way down this page :

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html#chokes

Sandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

bascially breaks down to the widest pattern being cyl which on traditional choke would have no "notches" on the end and as you go up the scale to a tighter patteren

cyl
    most open choke-widest pattern
    imp cyl--slightly tighter--other wise known as a skeet choke-
    ic
    tighter again--known as a 1/4
    imp mod- " " " " " 1/2
    im
    the tightest in your pack also know as a 3/4 choke

depending on what you are shooting an overall would be stick a 1/4 and a 1/2choke in and put the rest in a drawer,it only puts an excuse in your head if you start missing targets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

.243 wrote:
    bascially breaks down to the widest pattern being cyl which on traditional choke would have no "notches" on the end and as you go up the scale to a tighter patteren

cyl
    most open choke-widest pattern
    imp cyl--slightly tighter--other wise known as a skeet choke-
    ic
    tighter again--known as a 1/4
    imp mod- " " " " " 1/2
    im
    the tightest in your pack also know as a 3/4 choke

depending on what you are shooting an overall would be stick a 1/4 and a 1/2choke in and put the rest in a drawer,it only puts an excuse in your head if you start missing targets

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks guys.
    I presume that when shooting clays (dtl) that the IC would be in the first barrel and then the IMP MOD in the second, is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks guys.
    I presume that when shooting clays (dtl) that the IC would be in the first barrel and then the IMP MOD in the second, is this correct?

.243 gave good advice on having 1/4 choke for the first barrel you fire and 1/2 for the 2nd barrel,this being adequate for most sporting targets at ranges of 25-35m. This combination should do as a happy medium to get you started until you become a little more experienced and realise that you can gain an advantage on different target types by using the most appropriate choke.
    Remember, the further away the target is, the tighter degree of choking it needs.

Since you stated that you will be shooting DTL I would sincerely recommend 1/2 choke for the bottom (1st) barrel & 3/4 or full for the top (2nd) barrel.
    The reason for this is that you are shooting at the thinnest profile (edge) of a swiftly retreating target. The edge is the toughest part of the target and needs a dense shot pattern to give consistent true breaks.
    People will probably come on here and say that they have shot DTL birds with cylinder choke (anyone can), but it is very hard to do it consistently and achieve 'balls of smoke' kills.
    When shooting with a normal tempo and rhythm a shooter can be spot on a DTL bird but due to their choice of open chokes the target can get through the shot pattern unscathed.
    What would you prefer, twenty odd chippy breaks or 25 balls of smoke?
    Q.E.D. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement