Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old ESB for Christmas

• 23-11-2006 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

I have to say, I like what our city looks like at Christmas, especially the Quays. Here's a pic of what the old ESB building will look like over the festive months. Most of you will probably say it looks tacky but I quite like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Feck the begrdugers, they made the effort and it looks a lot better than it normally does. :)

Did I hear that that building was coming down at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About the best it ever appeared - this is how it should look

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

looks ok to be honest, better then it being pitch black I suppose

mike65 wrote:
    About the best it ever appeared - this is how it should look

Mike.

Agreed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

To be honest I always had a fondness for the ESB building. I know it's totally out of character with its surroundings (like ESB buildings all over the country from the '70s), but I thought it was cool.

I love the Mall actually - there's quite a diversity of buildings there, and in a strange way, the ESB building has its place, sort of how the Central Bank does on Dame St. in Dublin. Admittedly though, the Central Bank is way cooler, and of much more architectural merit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭lukemusiklab

fricatus wrote:
    To be honest I always had a fondness for the ESB building. I know it's totally out of character with its surroundings (like ESB buildings all over the country from the '70s), but I thought it was cool.

I love the Mall actually - there's quite a diversity of buildings there, and in a strange way, the ESB building has its place, sort of how the Central Bank does on Dame St. in Dublin. Admittedly though, the Central Bank is way cooler, and of much more architectural merit.

I have to agree with all of the above, I like the building. And walking past tonight I have to admit fair dues to the person/people who thought to do that. Looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

merlante wrote:
    Feck the begrdugers, they made the effort and it looks a lot better than it normally does. :)

Did I hear that that building was coming down at some stage?
    Well the City Council was forced to buy the building under a Compulsary Purchase Order as the Bank of Scotland had no plans of redeveloping it. The council are currently deciding what to do with it. The contruction of afordable apartments or new Council offices seem to be the two ideas on the table.

I agree about the Mall as a whole, it always catches the eye in May with the apple blosom flying everywhere in the gale off the river. :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well the City Council was forced to buy the building under a Compulsary Purchase Order as the Bank of Scotland had no plans of redeveloping it. The council are currently deciding what to do with it. The contruction of afordable apartments or new Council offices seem to be the two ideas on the table.

please don't let it be MORE BLOODY APARTMENTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Always liked that building myself for some reason;)

• Advertisement

I liked it when I was a kid, but I think it looks bad now.

Any fans of the Ard Ri and Plunket Station on here? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I kind of like it, a bit gaudy but certainly better than when the building was left empty, brings a bit mor colour to the place.

Both the Ard Ri and Plunket Station should be knocked down, its a crying shame they replaced the old train station building with whats their now..old station looked far better

But then again it was the time of the 50/60/70's and all the stuff built back then was better!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah it certainly stands out on the Mall alright, however since its been essentially abandoned, its starting to look very much out of place.

Nice touch with the lights I have to admit.. I like it :p

There was a building that looked a lot like the ESB building on Adelaide Rd across from the hospital in Dublin and the owners did a major facelift on it 2 years ago, complete gutted the building, put on a new ultra modern glass front etc and it now looks the biz, I do think thats what should be done here, a few quid spent on it and it would really look the part then would easily attract a new long term tenant and generate a few quid for the council.

Unless I win the euro millions, I'll but it off em and I'll use it as my city pad when home at weekends :D

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

As far as I was aware the City Council are creating a landbank by way of CPO and are developing a sort of Civic Office Centre as part of the redevelopment of the Court house. I believe they have also bought the Hi-B by way of CPO so now own the whole block. With the Fire Service moving to the ORR it would make for a significant development of scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think Plunkett station is protected at this stage, like the Busaras in Dublin.

Roen wrote:
    I think Plunkett station is protected at this stage, like the Busaras in Dublin.

Ah come on, don't joke! Busaras, I am assured, is an architectural landmark, way ahead of its time, designed by an architect who is, I am assured, famous. Notwithstanding that, Busaras is an ugly, box grotto. I only hope that said supposedly famous and talented architect, was not engaged in the design of our effort, and that we are therefore not obliged to maintain the present structure any longer than we have to!

I'd say the signal box is protected not the station area!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

mike65 wrote:
    I'd say the signal box is protected not the station area!

Mike.
    Heheheh, true for ya. That's about the only part of the station that has any character left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They have the advantage of being able to afford the electricity to light it like that.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote:
    They have the advantage of being able to afford the electricity to light it like that.:rolleyes:

There are free ways of lighting places up. :D

merlante wrote:
    There are free ways of lighting places up. :D

yes there is...but thats called stealing :)

Cabaal wrote:
    yes there is...but thats called stealing :)

I was thinking of arson, but okay... ;)

Advertisement