Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband drops at 5:00pm everyday

Options
  • 23-11-2006 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I am using a Netgear Wireless router for about a year now and in the last 5 or six weeks the Eircom broadband connection has started to drop at around 4:30 - 5:00pm everyday. It simply wont come back until later that evening despite several reboots.

I had the same problem about a year ago and spent weeks trying to sort it with Eircom but never did. I replaced the router and it seemd to solved the problem. But its back again....Any ideas?

Ps. I have an old Netopia Cayman 3300 series which I plug in and it works eveytime but I am baffles as to why this happens to the Netgear DG834 and a Netopia 3347 WG??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was going to say perhaps local interference causing your router to loose sync but that seems doubtful since the other router works fine.

perhaps incorrect time settings are causing it on the netgear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Take the router out of the equation and test it directly connected to your Eircom modem. Also are seeing this with all types of data communication (email,browing,FTP, P2P) ?

If its all types of data communication then maybe its peak usage times (people get home from work and get online). In this case its definatly something with either your PC/Modem or bandwidth with Eircom.

If its just with one form of data communication (P2P?) then maybe its been noted you are using a tonne of bandwidth ... I have no idea how Eircom handle these kinds of customers so best check out your t&c's on usage or talk to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Whats the SNR and noise margin of your router showing as?
    It may be lower in this weather and it the time when kids are home from school and using the net causing a further drop in your line.
    This may cause the model to lose sync and drop the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

I have the same thing , every evening between 17:25 and 17:45 , it stops responding , I switch off (& on) the Netopia 2247 box ..... and this is where we differ ... then all's well .
    If I miss the 5 o'clock ritual , it's still necessary to do the off/on before I get any internet access later in the evening.
    I live in the country-side , only have BB since Sept. and assumed that everybody crawled under their desk at 17:25 to do the off/on switch..... and just like me they didn't complain about it .
    PJQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It could be that the regular ip address change which is a 'dhcp release and renew' is done around then and takes ages. What region are ye in ??? n munster and w leinster go thru Limerick which is dodgy I hear.

A tracert to www.boards.ie will show something like dsl-bra-limerick.eircom.net on hop 3 or 4 to prove it....once you have an ip address of course.

no ip address = no internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mrfreddred

I have a static ip address so the DHCP shouldnt be an issue. I think its deffo related to contention as its more than a co-incidence that this happens everyday just when people are coming home from work, school etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

contention will NOT cause your connection to drop or not connect, it will cause your throughput slow, meaning much lower than the bitrate that the modem is connected at

also, it depends whether you have a static ip or whether its static dhcp ( meaning it dynamically allocates a reserved ip )

Advertisement