Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inchydoney surf

Options
  • 23-11-2006 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

anyone know what the surf is like down in this part of cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Inchydoney is a fairly consistent (in Cork terms) beach, it faces almost SSE so it's clean enough in a westerly wind. If you're a regular footed longboarder paddle out to the far right if its working, it's a really easy, soft, long sandbar point.

If you're goofy, check out the far left out by "The Green Man" (you'll see it) where there's a pretty decent sandbar that can be epic in the right conditions. If you're a beginner just go to any part of the beach, there can be peaks all the way along.

Watch out for the rips on an outgoing tide, especially on the left sandbar. I've seen those rips go about a mile out to sea so be very careful. The same story on the far right but it's usually not as bad. It's basically the two "resevoirs" behind the Island emptying out. That's a lot of water.

If there's nothing at Inchydoney take a drive West but prepare for heavier faster waves and some attitude in the water at one particular spot (where most people will be), my advice, drive on for another 5 minutes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

cheers for that. Are you saying there are better unknown beaches further on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

inchadoney check!

I'm only beginning so i can't give an expert opinion but the surf was reasonable. i was out at high tide and there was a substantial rip that carried us the width of the beach, i don't want to think what it would have been like if it was going out to sea. i presume because the sea was filling the estuary towards clonakilty :confused:

on another note, 26 euro for a leash in the surf shop was a bit steep i thought, anyone know is that standard? Broke a fin as well, how much to replace one of those, i had borrowed the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Hello,

Are there any spots nearer to Bantry that you'd also be able to rent boards from?

Thanks,
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Best place near Bantry, head towards Mizen Head and you'll find Barley Cove. Beautiful setting. Was some very nice waves to be had on sat & sun gone on the incoming tide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Thanks for the info Con. Do you know what weather conditions, swell direction are favourable for here. Thanks for the info.

Slán,
    David

Advertisement