Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone warehouse problems - Returning phone

Options
  • 23-11-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new phone from the carphone warehouse. It was about 5 to 6 weeks ago. The main reason I bought this phone was because of it's MP3 compatability.

I had to return the phone about 10 days later as there was a load hiss whenever the MP3 or radio was activated. To be fair they were sound and they swopped everything for a new (same) phone.

I had to return this phone about 3 weeks later because the battery was only lasting about 30% of the time the first phone lasted. I was on holiday for 2 weeks in the USA which was why it took 3 weeks to return. The hissing sound was still present albeit it was not as loud.

Again they replaced everything, no questions asked on the 12th of November. 11 days ago. The replacement has the hissing sound worse than ever. It also appears, after researching on the web, to be a common problem with this phone. I paid nearly E300 for it's MP3 playback capabilities.

I rang again today to ask for my money back or to exchange the phone for another. Now they are telling me that I am outside the 28 day return policy (last phone was only replaced 11 days ago) and that they now have to send it away for repair.

Legally can I insist on a full refund at this stage? Each time I returned the phone they gave me a new receipt. The latest one states transaction date as 11/12/2006.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ah yes, expect them to claim water damage and yes the phone is 11 days old not 28 days but they will claim water damage :( Its not "Fit For The Purpose" under the Consumer act so make lots of noise in the shop on the saturday after they get it back and you will be refunded.

name and shame the phone model in the mobile forum, sounds like a pice of **** to me and you would not want anyone else landed with one would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ah yes, expect them to claim water damage and yes the phone is 11 days old not 28 days but they will claim water damage :( Its not "Fit For The Purpose" under the Consumer act so make lots of noise in the shop on the saturday after they get it back and you will be refunded.

name and shame the phone model in the mobile forum, sounds like a pice of **** to me and you would not want anyone else landed with one would you.

It's the Sony Erickson 810i Walkman phone. It's a pile of poo. The sound quality is very good but the loud hiss and really annoying clicks when skipping to next MP3 is driving me mad. Other than that great phone but if an Ipod did this you's send it back.

Am going to ring citizens advice today just to be sure I know my facts before I go in. I'll be nice at first but if I've no joy I'll start making noise about my rights. I'll post back the outcome. Thanks Spongebob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are too late anyway :D

Someone else has the exact same problem that you discovered

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019347

"Fit For The Purpose" Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Well it seems I may have jumped the gun. Rang Carphone warehouse customer care line and they said the 28 days resets from when the phone was changed. As this is my 3rd phone she said they would give me my money back no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ah yes, expect them to claim water damage and yes the phone is 11 days old not 28 days but they will claim water damage

Not that I watch the cartoon but Sponge Bob does live under the sea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I knew before I read the rest of the thread what model handset it was...I'm glad I opted for the k750 after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wertz wrote:
    I knew before I read the rest of the thread what model handset it was...I'm glad I opted for the k750 after all...

Is it a software issue with the w810. Would flashing it to a w800 sort the issue should it arise ( im in the market for a new phone in january when my upgrade is due)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think there are aspects of the hardware that are different to the k750/w800 on the w810, so I'm not sure if it would take the older firmware.
    Plenty of people on here have done the 750->800 flash...not bothered myself.
    I have the occasional problme, but music playback is always good once you ditch the 750's 'phones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

if the network you bought the phone off is o2 they will swap the phone out in an o2 store anytime in the 12 months, even if you bought the phone in carphone warehouse, as long as you have a valid receipt. very useful if you don't fancy having your phone sent away to be repaired for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

if the network you bought the phone off is o2 they will swap the phone out in an o2 store anytime in the 12 months, even if you bought the phone in carphone warehouse, as long as you have a valid receipt. very useful if you don't fancy having your phone sent away to be repaired for 2 weeks.

Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, its a new service that was brought in.

Once it's a warranty issue, it'll be swapped out for a reconditioned one of the same model.

Advertisement