Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Harveys/Currys etc.

• 23-11-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Are these the WORST places in the world to buy a 32 or 37'' tv? Their brand range is poor. Very few Sonys, no Panasonics or Pioneers?

Any advice where to see decent tvs in action around Munster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I'd strongly advise not to go buy in Currys, as I was nearly forced into buying a Tv by one of the sales reps, plus not to mention his dismal info on most of the TV's.

One example:

So is this a HD ready TV?
    "Yes, HDMI means it is fullly HD ready"

But where is the HD ready logo?
    "This tv was made before the HD ready logo was made"

So your saying it's an old TV?
    "Well this phillips was made this year and is recent"

/man calls over another staff member who hasnt a clue either.

Too much sh1te talk and drivel tbh from most of the staff. The TV I was looking at was a 42" plasma that was HD compliant, which downscaled to 576 lines.

As far as Harvey Normans are, I have only ever been in the store once and when I had a genuine question either "John over at the camera/pda desk knows" or "John over at the cash desk is not in today, but Gemma is on her lunch, she should be back at 2" knows!

So in my experience, yes these are the worst places to get a TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Thanks. I'd go to Peats but I don't think I'll be up east before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

To be fair though, most of the people in those shops are not meant to be experts. At weekends I imagine its prob a few students working there or part-time people.

I used to work in ashop like that and my speciality was computers however people used to often come up to me ask questinons about washing machines or solder irons!

Because technology changes so much I think it should be up to ourselves to research on the net, as i'd imagine most of these staff do not get trained in or given updates on new screens or HDCP or anything!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any one who walks into these jobs and buys something because the sales man says so is an idiot.

A friend of mine bout a £1500 pc to play a flightsim then before he left the shop bought a 3 year guarantee. He's an idiot!

I'll be buying a new TV and speaker setup fairly soon and I'll be research the hell out of it before I hand over my "hard earned" cash!

I went in to Dixon’s about 2 weeks ago to ask about a Samsung CRT TV and 2.1 Surround Sound system which had HDMI and was talking to the manager. He insisted that it was a HD-DVD as it had HDMI and I kept saying it only upscaled. Some people would've fallen for that

Advertisement