Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sat Nav for Dublin, UK and France

Options
  • 24-11-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to hear people's recommendations for a Sat Nav which I could use in the above locations. I'm willing to pay that bit extra if it gives good value for money-all I want to do however is to get from A to B.

Also, can one share map updates on these gadgets?

W.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

william wrote:
    Hi,

I would like to hear people's recommendations for a Sat Nav which I could use in the above locations. I'm willing to pay that bit extra if it gives good value for money-all I want to do however is to get from A to B.

Also, can one share map updates on these gadgets?

W.

Have a read of reviews but I would go for the nuvi 310 with pixmania.com as they sell it with European maps (€415 delivered). Not just because it covers France etc almost 100% It is very thin so can go in your breast pocket when you are walking about (get more for your money that way). They do extensive testing which slows new map releases to every two yrs but that is good as it removes bugs etc. I like the interface and it covers Dublin quite well so that would suit your needs as it is the first in your order of precedence. So when you require it for the rest of Ireland the new maps should be out covering Ireland 100% (supposed to be out at the latest Jan 2007).
    Thats my opinion and I like to be able to avoid motorways and still be able to calculate my journey. For a balanced argument I don't like not being able to point in more than one via point but not a show stopper for me.

Don't go for anything other than devices that use Navteq maps, Tom tom use Teleatlas and the coverage of Ireland is not to improve for sometime. If you have lots of cash and want 100% coverage of Ireland now buy the Nuvi 660 as it has a wide aspect screen (where you gain in screen size you loose in portability but havent held one so cant really say.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I recently bought an Acer e310 (slim and compact) and acquired Irish maps for it . They are Navteq and are excellent. French maps are generally good - I sold my old Navman whose maps were two yearsold (Teleatlas) but still did the job in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Do some 'European' maps just have street maps and not major roads?

Advertisement