Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancer] Bowel Cancer Awareness

• 24-11-2006 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Folks Just watch the TV3 news. Caught a bit about the Gastroenterology society of Ireland asking the government to raise awareness of Bowel cancer and to provide stool test for people 50 - 65. Well they are following the UK equivalent in successful lobbying of their government in doing the same.

They have set up a website here

What was interesting from that piece is that 2000 people a year in Ireland contract this easy curable disease...

BTW I sent an email to Mary Harney Dept a while back ago...never got a reply yet...

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

Folks in UK are having an awareness month for this easy curable disease. Details are here...Feel free to check it out.

Remember the stats..1 in 18 people currently contract this and the age limit is lowering from most at risk of over 55. Some cases are mid 30's in my case late 30's...also as hightlighted on prime time. If this is caught in time the chance of survival greatly increases...if you have symptoms and don't have health insurance. You need to push the system to get checked...

I was lucky enough to have health insurance through my work and from the time of visiting the GP to the start of treatment was just over a month. Even at that, due to my lack of awareness, the cancer had already spread to my liver. If I had known and taken action sooner I would had been much better today. But I suffered from constipation for a couple of months before pain from the tumor started to manifest...and only then I went to have it checked out. Also in my case there was no family history of Bowel cancer...if there is a history of it then be sure to get check out when suffering from the symptoms. If you get fobbed off from your GP, as you are too young then insist of a an appointment for a colonoscopy...only that can tell if bowel cancer is visable. Another is a blood test as bowel cancer have a certain marker that can be tested for. Note this test takes about two weeks to procure the results.

The moral of this is to act soon rather than later...one of the tell tale signs is blood in the stool...even at tht stage the cancer could had spread elsewhere...

Any Q's please PM me..

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AlkalizeIreland

banned.

Advertisement