Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

failed to start the x server when trying to install ubuntu

• 24-11-2006 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

i downloaded the latest version of ubuntu from their website..burnt it onto cd and tried to install it on my windows xp machine..the cd boots up appears to start working..and then i get a message saying fail to start the x server..fatal server error..no screens found...

i presume ist got to to with the video cards..
    this is a brand new pc..dell dimension ...pentium 4....

any ideas on how to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

did you get into the screen where it asks you a set of options like start install/liveCD, start install/liveCD in safe graphics mode (along those lines)?

try the safe graphics mode as sometimes resolution can be a pain when install linux variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭thebourke

yeah i tried the safe mode and got the same error..any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Do you get a prompt something like
    root@ubuntu:#

? or just nothing at all? If you get a prompt, what is the output of
    startx

and
    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

I'm not sure I can help you, but this might be useful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any idea which model of Dell or which Video card you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭thebourke

its a dell 5150..graphics card is Radeon x600

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fishnplay

Try to run Knoppix live distro. Then see if youy can find the settings that Knoppix is using for your xserver session.
    This helped me configuring my ubuntu on dell laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

This command allowed me to reconfigure X and solved my problems. Worth a go:
    [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#0000bb]sudo dpkg[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]reconfigure xserver[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]xorg[/COLOR][/COLOR]

You'll be interrogated by X with endless questions about your setup but it shouldn't been too painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Similar thing just happened to me, I was following the guide to get compiz going and after a restart I got a similar x server message.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm a noob when it comes to linux / ubuntu so be gentle. ;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm also a newb, but I did get past that after having the same problem. I had to reload the backup xconf file I think. I can't find the page I used to solve it i'm afraid, but if you google it you should get it.

Also, you may want to check out the 915resolution hack in the repositories. Got me running 1280 * 800 with just a few minutes work. I got a lot of info from Ubuntu Forums

Advertisement