Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N73 or Sony Ericsson K800i ?

• 24-11-2006 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I have the Nokia N70 atm and was going to get the N73 when it was available on Vodafone. I've always had a Nokia but I might try out this K800i.

Any reason why you'd pick one over the other?

Nokia N73 or Sony Ericsson K800i ? 17 votes

Nokia N73
    0%
    Sony Ericsson K800i
    100%
    Urban WeiglmondeomanLFCFanCyrusquintronBlackWizardseagizmomik_da_manNephewsrdb20evilboyseanrogue-entitydemanMad Dogdamo86Dman001celboy 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nokia! Only because I have a deep, deep hatred for Sony Ericsson though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

lol, that's aloud !

The only SE I only every used was a T630. But SE seem to be improving all the time, maybe it's time to see what all the fuss is about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I was a Nokia user since I was a kid however bought the K750i when it came out first. I loved it and upgraded recently to the K800i. It's an excellent phone and as I mentioned in another trend, I'll remain brand loyal to SE as long as they develop good handsets that have the functionality to meet my needs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

yeah the K800i is a Class Phone, brilliant camera and really easy to use! you can get it on O2 or 3 at the moment , if i waz you id go with O2,
    or else you can buy it sim free, but its gonna be well more expensive!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Sony Ericsson K800i
    This helped me make my mind up.
    http://www.slashphone.com/70/5014.html
    Sample photos of N73 and K800i.

I'd go for the N73 for it's OS, and the possibility of X-Series apps such as Skype & Orb (if you are with 3) come next year. Its also cheaper sim free I think?

• Advertisement

I'm still leaning towards the K800, simply as I'd like something smaller/lighter than my N70 and all I like in a phone is a good camera which both phones have but the K800 is smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sony Ericsson K800i
    The N73 and K800i are both great phones, to be honest. I'd have a hard time choosing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

BreadBoard wrote:
    and was going to get the N73 when it was available on Vodafone.

Any year now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SE k800i, it's operating system is faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

I've got a V3X on 3 and am waiting for the N73 when my upgrade is due.

The Carl Zeiss lens and whole X Series thing is the reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Sony Ericsson K800i
    just got the N73 after having a K750i and I'm lovin' it. So many features and the camera is excellent. Massive screen too compared to the K800i and the camera cover is a lot less noticable. Some niggly little issues at the moment but the latest Firmware is supposed to sort all that out.

LFCFan wrote:
    Massive screen too compared to the K800i and the camera cover is a lot less noticable.
    lol, only 6mm x 8mm bigger, but the pixel size on both are 240 x 320 pixels :D
    LFCFan wrote:
    Some niggly little issues at the moment but the latest Firmware is supposed to sort all that out.
    Latest firmware for the N73 is - v3.0638.0.0.30, 30-10-2006, RM-133.

http://hunajatehdas.net/nokia/firmware/index_en.php?model=N73

;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Sony Ericsson K800i
    BreadBoard wrote:
    lol, only 6mm x 8mm bigger, but the pixel size on both are 240 x 320 pixels :D

Small difference in dimensions but in reality it looks a lot more.
    Latest firmware for the N73 is - v3.0638.0.0.30, 30-10-2006, RM-133.

http://hunajatehdas.net/nokia/firmware/index_en.php?model=N73

;)

Unfortunatly, Nokia are releasing the firmware in stages depending on Product Code.

I've been an SE fan for ages and refused to go near Nokia again but the N73 has turned me. Well worth the transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.gsmarena.com/n73_d900_k800_photo-review-102.php

Nokia N73 vs. Samsung D900 vs. SE K800: Photo samples

Useful review comparing the photographic capability of the three
    phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I got the k800i a few months back, pretty happy with it, never was a nokia person. When considering what to get, I thought the k800i took the most natural photos, not over sharpened or with too much contrast like some other phones. I really like the music player on the k800i too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Sony Ericsson K800i
    I have been waiting since September for 3 to release the N73. I will get it the moment it is available online/at the local 3 store. It looks to be a fantastic phone and it will only cost me about €170 on an upgrade :)

Sony Ericsson K800i
    I popped into the 3 store in Waterford, and I asked when they were going to be selling the N73. They told me it was supposed to be available on the 15th, but the N73 and the SE W950i have been delayed due to software problems with the X-series features. I suspect that 3 have been tinkering with the firmware to add these extra features and its lead to stability problems, they sent the handset back for Nokia to fix the bug, it came back and it was still crashing. A likly excuse I bet, considering it works so well in the UK :rolleyes:
    For the love of all things holy, release the god damn phone :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sony Ericsson K800i
    BreadBoard wrote:

:) Translates as honeyfactory.net Sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

I was a Nokia user since I was a kid however bought the K750i when it came out first. I loved it and upgraded recently to the K800i. It's an excellent phone and as I mentioned in another trend, I'll remain brand loyal to SE as long as they develop good handsets that have the functionality to meet my needs :D

i have had numerous nokia phones. i am sick of waiting for nokia to release firmware updates to fix bugs in their firmware... have a look at discussions.nokia.co.uk and see the number of people with issues with their n73's seems like there are lots of issues with that model..

anyways,,, i have moved away from nokia, and bought a k800i... my first sony.. and so far im really glad i bought it, its a nice phone, lots of features
    very good camera and user interface....

go for the sony k800i ......nokia phones are over priced!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I got the K800i from O2 last week. It's an excellent phone with a great camera and excellent on-board applications.

Nokias are normally very buggy, the last Nokia I bought was a 6230, which I wasn't too impressed with, I gave it to my mother after 3 months and got a SE K700i instead. I wouldn't buy a smartphone of any description from Nokia, as they are more likely to break and they are normally bigger than the competition.

The K800i also looks less like a brick than the Nokia N-series phones and the OS is also more "fun" than the Nokias

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I just got a k800i to replace my old (now dead) Nokia 6680. I'm pretty happy with it so far, it's got a great camera and a really nice interface. €69 with 02 as well, totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Sony Ericsson K800i
    The k800 is my first non symbian phone, its a nice QUICK phone but I miss the ability to multi task like on smart phones. I wanted a w950i or n73 but I wasn't prepared to buy sim free and I got fed up waiting for the Irish networks to release it. Nine times out of ten I'd go for the n73 but I paid e29 for the k800 on 02, on a e35 monthly package, imo it was too good of a deal to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nephew wrote:
    The k800 is my first non symbian phone, its a nice QUICK phone but I miss the ability to multi task like on smart phones..
    that is a point. i've come to assume i can use 7 applications at once but you can't "minimise" applications on a non-symbian. that's given me something to think about. hmmmmmmmm <---that's me thinking

Sony Ericsson K800i
    3 were to release the N73 on the 15th of December, but they are delaying till early January because of problems with the X-series software apps. I have the impression, that just to spite me, fate will have the phone released on the 21st January, well after my birthday and at the same time I can unlock my old one <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

It is so hard to choose, I've been watching video reviews of both on youtube and its a very close call, both are excellent. ARGHHH! :D

Leaning towards the N73 as I love the big screen, os looks great and overall it looks better, to me, than the k800i. K800i though seemingly has better battery life, a proper flash bulb, and the os is a bit faster. Those who have the K800i - whats the battery life like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Elessar wrote:
    It is so hard to choose, I've been watching video reviews of both on youtube and its a very close call, both are excellent. ARGHHH! :D

Leaning towards the N73 as I love the big screen, os looks great and overall it looks better, to me, than the k800i. K800i though seemingly has better battery life, a proper flash bulb, and the os is a bit faster. Those who have the K800i - whats the battery life like?

having read all the issues people are having with the N73 ( discussions.nokia.co.uk) i decided to go with the k800i, much better
    slicker OS...and less bugs!! the mp3 player is much better too and also the radio which is RDS...sound quality excellent.

go with the k800 has a proper camera and flash! go with the k800 ull be glad u did! battery life is not bad at all.

what_car wrote:
    having read all the issues people are having with the N73 ( discussions.nokia.co.uk) i decided to go with the k800i, much better
    slicker OS...and less bugs!! the mp3 player is much better too and also the radio which is RDS...sound quality excellent.

go with the k800 has a proper camera and flash! go with the k800 ull be glad u did! battery life is not bad at all.

In fairness, you never read about people who have no problems with their phone - I'm sure the Sony Ericsson forums are full of similar issues.

I've been reading a bit more though and the consensus seems to be that people are not getting more than 2-3 days out of the K800i? The battery is smaller, and from the reviews I have read the N73 seems to have better battery life (more capacity). Good battery life is important to me - I dunno maybe I'll just get the K750i - I'll have a good camera already so I don't think I'd use one on a phone, but the option to use 3G features if I want is nice, and they look so nice...

The impulse buyer in my strikes again!

I bought the K800i last night in the 3 store on Henry Street. A really cute blonde sold it to me :D And when I heard the price of the N73 when it's released in 2 weeks (€449!) I said no way.

It's a nice phone, screen is sharp, but I'm still unsure as to my final verdict...

Now I just need to decide if I am going to port my meteor no. to 3 or unlock and go back to meteor....:confused:

You can pretty much do everything from 3 with Meteor anyway (except watch overpriced outdated Father Ted clips)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Originally Posted by Nephew
    The k800 is my first non symbian phone, its a nice QUICK phone but I miss the ability to multi task like on smart phones..

that is a point. i've come to assume i can use 7 applications at once but you can't "minimise" applications on a non-symbian. that's given me something to think about. hmmmmmmmm <---that's me thinking

You can minimize java apps on the k800 and switch back to them when you want, I've had up to 15 apps/games going, not sure what the limit is, the music player will also work in the background with games or the camera or any other functions. I know it's multitasking mightn't be as well managed as symbian os but sony have done a nice job with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement