Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm question.

Options
  • 24-11-2006 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Can some one suggest a cheap self installable home alarm. I need it for a garden room - a big shed. If there was a system which I could put a SIM card in and have it SMS me when triggered it would be good. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

Hello Mr Fibble,

You cant really get a cheap system that includes a dialler. Yale etc might do the job as DIY alarms go. I would however always recommend the HKC but you would need mains pwer for that.

The whole kit, and backup battery should set you back about €250 assuming you are only using about 2 PIR's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Cheers Beach Head. Do you know where you can buy them in Dublin, or off the net?

Cheers Beach Head. Do you know where you can buy them in Dublin, or off the net?

Are you on the Northside or Southside? Dont know of any Websites, wholesalers only.

I'm on the south side. Cheers

Then NEW(National Electrical Wholesalers) in Ballymount is your port of call.

The guys there will have what you need. If you are using beams, get Quads, just more reliable.

• Advertisement

Thanks Beach Head. I'll give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Could you post the price when you get it please? I would like to compare to the prices outside Dublin before purchasing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

O.P. be careful that this will not invalidate your household insurance.

Some insurers specify that alarm systems must meet certain minimum standards and or be installed by qualified installers.

Check the small print..............:)

Could you post the price when you get it please? I would like to compare to the prices outside Dublin before purchasing myself.
    I will, but it may be a while boefore I actually get it.

Duly noted 11.3 SECONDS.

O.P. be careful that this will not invalidate your household insurance.

Some insurers specify that alarm systems must meet certain minimum standards and or be installed by qualified installers.

Check the small print..............:)

And a lot of insurers will not pay out if the system is not armed at the time of a break in. The discount is not worth the risk if the other half, the kids or anybody working in the house, or the people minding the house for you on holidays do not arm it on their way out the door the one day the house is burgled.

If the company will give it to you in writing that they will pay out armed or not thats cool. Otherwise the 5 - 10% IMO is not worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Beach Head wrote:
    And a lot of insurers will not pay out if the system is not armed at the time of a break in. The discount is not worth the risk if the other half, the kids or anybody working in the house, or the people minding the house for you on holidays do not arm it on their way out the door the one day the house is burgled.

If the company will give it to you in writing that they will pay out armed or not thats cool. Otherwise the 5 - 10% IMO is not worth it!

I agree 100%... and the discount is only on the contents side of the policy
    t

Advertisement