Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another LIDL DVD player with USB

2»

Comments

I have one of those external HD's with a cable that requires two USB slots....will this work with this DVD player? (If not does anyone know if a one USB slot cable would work with my external HD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW they had a load of these (~50) at 9:00 this morning in the new Lidl in Pottery Road. I got one and it certainly played an .avi from a 1Gig SD card no problems and picture quality was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have one of those external HD's with a cable that requires two USB slots....will this work with this DVD player? (If not does anyone know if a one USB slot cable would work with my external HD)

Usually they do work with just one cable but slower.

You may want to try a usb hub on it since the player has only one slot.Make sure to try one with an external power source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Is it region-free? If not, can you make it region free?

Comes with Nero 30 day trial aswell. Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Got one at 12.45 in Lidl Mullingar, was asking an assistant for one when the Manager arrived with the last few out of the stores!:)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15 resistancegav

my one wont play stuff off my 2 gig usb.....plays for about 30 seconds then crashes...im using fat 32 aswell....manual states only drives 0f 512mg are supported...anyone know a way around this?

As I posted earlier my one will play from my 1GB card but now it wont play the audio on a different .avi :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I just tried a 2gb Disgo memory stick with some divx AVi - played perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

:( I seem to be one of the unhappy few who wound up getting a faulty player. Am well p'ed off after the trouble of getting one of these only to find it doesn't work.
    It powers on, brings up the Silvercrest logo and all, but that is as much as it does. I think that the main dvd drive section of it is faulty as it keeps alternating between Open/Close on the LED display at the front and eventuallyafter a minute or two stays on Open. The drive part itself makes no attempt at budging - it doesn't open/close, spin or make a sound. I can't even bring up a menu to try a factory reset as no menu functions work either, all I get is "You can't do that at this time". The memory stick/USB part doesn't work either so I am rightly disappointed. In fact the only thing that does work is Standby and the screensaver comes on if you leave it for a minute or two.
    Does anyone know if there is somewhere that can replace/repair these besides my local Lidl store? If I take it back to Lidl, they will just give me back the €50 and I would really rather exchange it for a working unit. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

got any relatives in clonmel, they still had some there last night

Unfortunately I don't Johnny, and I suppose the odds are that the remaining ones in Clonmel would probably have been snapped up by Friday's customers.
    I sent off an email to Kompernass.ie, just a minute ago, the LIDL 1800 number was a waste of time , just kept ringing out. Fingers crossed that getting an exchange unit is an option.

These DVD players for €50 that Lidl always sell out....surely they're poor quality and don't last that long?

I had a €50 DVD player I bought in Tesco a few years ago and DVD playback was always freezing.....how do these Lidl players handle ordinary DVD's and the transition with dual layer DVDs?

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

....surely they're poor quality and don't last that long?
    3 year guarantee on Lidl DVD player!
    I had a €50 DVD player I bought in Tesco a few years ago and DVD playback was always freezing
    Me too!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

These DVD players for €50 that Lidl always sell out....surely they're poor quality and don't last that long?

I had a €50 DVD player I bought in Tesco a few years ago and DVD playback was always freezing.....how do these Lidl players handle ordinary DVD's and the transition with dual layer DVDs?

Thanks...

There don't seem to be too many complaints about them and it's difficult to get a similar featured player at any where close to this price in any other irish store. For 50euro it seems to be a great buy... if you'll actually be making use of the extra features or don't already have a dvd player (in which case where have you been)

I tried plugging my mp3 player into it to play the DivX files I have on it. When I press the "USB/Card/DVD" button, it says "Not allowed at this moment".

Why?

• Advertisement

Timans wrote:
    I tried plugging my mp3 player into it to play the DivX files I have on it. When I press the "USB/Card/DVD" button, it says "Not allowed at this moment".

Why?
    That is much the same as the message i get when I tried to do anything with my player. My machine was totally non functioning on arrival. If your player is playing Divx and DVD discs ok from the DVD drive then it is probably just something to do with the format of the hard drive in your mp3 player. I see people talk of having various degrees of success with hard drives on these, one thing that seemed important was that the hard drive needed to be using FAT32 format (Windows 98 type filesystem). I'd suggest sticking a movie on and trying a FAT32 formatted memory stick if you have one to verify whether your USB and memory card section is working properly.

Regarding my own non-working DVD player, I got a reply today from Kompernass (they supply LIDL with electrical and other goods) saying that if I gave them my details they would have a courier collect my faulty DVD player and that if they couldn't repair it they would give me another. This seems like a pretty decent service to me and is actually as I had been hoping, since I really did want one of these players . Was also quite impressed to get a reply back on a Saturday, I sent off the e-mail around 5pm Friday evening and wasn't expecting to hear anything before Monday at the earliest.

Anyone Had Any Luck Making It Region Freeeee???!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Timans wrote:
    Anyone Had Any Luck Making It Region Freeeee???!!

Yeah, it was the same as the last one with the HDMI output. Open the tray, press 9999 on the remote, then 9 to make it region free. The number 9 should be displayed on screen and you're done.

Thanks, Popeleo.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod

mine is working perfectly for me with a 250gb hardrive plugged into it. think the trick is while it is loading keep pressing a few buttons on the remote as the dvd player times out fairly quickly so you arent giving it a chance to time out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I have mine seeing the files on my 250gb harddrive, but it doesn't seem to want to play the video_ts files I have on it? Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Tried putting video_ts files onto a 1gb card myself, didn't play them. Only seems to like Divx avi files off the card or HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KO

I miseed out on these when they were in Lidl. Does anyone know if they're available to buy anywhere else or if there are similar ones around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Having on odd issue with this....
    My 1gb USB key works fine but my 400gb external wont neither will anyone elses USB key...All FAT32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Try formatting a primary partition to less than 120GB. I formatted a WD Book 250GB to have an 80GB primary and it worked. At 250 I found pressing number buttons during loading worked - it can take 2-3 minutes to load the disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

<Moan: Why do people keep digging up old threads and make me think there is a new bargain on the go :confused: /Moan>

same here...I got highly excited when I first saw the thread...I thought LidL were selling this again after I missed out on it the first time :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

towbar wrote:
    Try formatting a primary partition to less than 120GB. I formatted a WD Book 250GB to have an 80GB primary and it worked. At 250 I found pressing number buttons during loading worked - it can take 2-3 minutes to load the disk.

thanks will try that with the HDD
    any idea about the USB keys?

Oh and sorry for digging up the thread, there was nowhere else I saw to ask

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You were right to bring up the old post, everyone'd be bitching and moaning about "we answered all those questions on the old thread, do a search FFS!" if you didn't :D

It's been useful actually, I've not been able to get my external HD to work on it (forgot about the 32GB Cap on Fat32).

Slightly different but related issue:
    I managed to get a set of speakers with no connectors for the surround sound and all I have to do is lay the cables out in the room and solder on some connectors (thank you Maplins) and that'll be that. I hope it will recognise external audio sources and play through these speakers. I have consoles and a "plugged into the telly" laptop to be hooked up! Has anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabtaker

im assuming it'll play divx and vcds? doesnt say on the website exactly what formats

well its good, i tried an external drive and a memory flash and it plays avi files
    from cds (including ff and rw picture search)
    it is nigh impossible to find a player with usb2 compatability, even on the net

the good news is it will most likely be up on the shelf again pre christmas,

one issue is that the remote has to be aimed directly at the light on the machine

but all else divx, xvid cd, jpeg etc.

for 50 euros is the best value yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement