Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freddie 15 year Anniversary

• 24-11-2006 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but its the 15 year anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death today. Queen were kind of the first band I really got into. Was on a holiday in Kerry staying in a caravan and the only tape we had was greatest hits and it was played over and over again. Had a huge impact on my life. Freddie was a legend, no other front man like him.
    Happy Anniversary Freddie your'e a legend........

Anyone any interesting Queen stories.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Funny cause I was only thinking about this morning and everyone in my college class start singing 'I Want to Break Free' and then they asked why the hell they were singing Queen, and I was like cause its Freddies anniversary, and most people didnt know. s

hows u what a legacy he has. an amazing man, i wish i was 15 yrs older sometimes jus to ave been able to see him in dublin in 84/86. When i was 6 i used to dress up as him for a summer project talent show, had every tape (album) and my first Queen album I ever bought was their Greatest Hits 2 by my dad as a bootleg on Henry St lol

not even GNR make me feel dat way.

RIP man

I wrote an article on them once, have a look here
    http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/338/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Just read your article and its very good.
    One small thing , only Roger and Brian continued to tour, you mentioned the 3 remaining members (unless you meant Spike Edney). Well done on the article.
    I am celebrating as I do every year, taking out my old vinyl when I get home and playing them all. Weird I know but thats my way of celebrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG3Jt23sNw
    Haha this probably pwns everything Freddie ever did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

sham69 wrote:
    Just read your article and its very good.
    (unless you meant Spike Edney).

Cheers man, yeah, I prob should have mentioned Spike by name, since he was with the band for so long. Although John did play with the band with Elton John in 1999 in Paris i believe, 'The Show Must Go On' ended up on the 3rd Greatest Hits as you prob well know.

This year actually I did visit his house in London. I was hoping to see Axl Rose there too, as I know Axl is a fan, and it was the day he was playing Wembley with GNR. I went to see the gigs in Wembley but Axl didnt mention Freddie and I dont believe he visited the house. Its amazing really, its just a huge big house down a small laneway with no driveway. In some ways it looks like a prison, in other ways a pyaramid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I have to say I thought there would be more of a fuss considering its the 15 year anniversary, I checked the Brian May website and it hasnt been updated although it has been every day for the past few months up to now?
    Didnt really take the new tour very well myself to be honest, as good as Paul Rodgers is in his own right he is no Freddie. Deacy has seperated himself from the group and no longer has any involvment as far as I know. Fair play to him, he did the right thing. I am a bit pissed at Brian and Rodge for carrying on the Queen name even if it is Queen and Paul Rodgers.
    Just listening to Queen II now, what an album...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I would have expected more of a fuss too.

Damn, Freddie was a pure legend - no one will ever emulate him - he was one of a kind.

I'd never have taken to rock music if it wasn't for Freddie. Seen them in the RDS and in Slane - awesome. I've got every Queen album and everything up to A Kind Of Magic album on vinyl.

I took time out to play Bohemian Rhapsody on the piano today - it just felt like it had to be done.

There's a Freddie special on VH1 at the moment.

@OP - I came on here to mention the day - but you got there before me - fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Doctor J wrote:

Very well said. The best performance by any rock band, anywhere, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check VH1 this weekend.

Mike.

Advertisement