Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres: weight vs comfort

Options
  • 24-11-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'm considering changing the tyres on my hybrid which I use exclusively for exercising on the road. Amongst other reasons I went for a hybrid because I thought that racer tyres would not be reliable given the quality of the roads, and because I thought the chunkier hybrid tyres would be more comfortable on poor surfaces.

I'm very happy with the bike overall, but ideally I'd like to loose a couple of kilograms off the bike by changing some parts to boost my climbing ability. The stock 700 - 42C tyres weigh 750G each, so there is considerable gain to be made by changing those alone.

I'm eying up a set of Panaracer Pasela TG 700 - 32 Tyres <http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=165&idproduct=5953>. They seem to offer the reliability that I want (puncture protection), they'd fit my 18mm inner rim width wheels well, they're not to pricy and the 32mm version with steel bead wire weighs 380G which gives me a 740G saving in total.

My concern is comfort, going down some slopes with poor road quality like going downhil at unmoderated descend speeds (~60KPH) to Laragh past Glenmacnas waterfall, or going South down the West face of Kippure past the military camp on my current tyres the bike and I get a beating. The maximum pressure for my current tyres is 65PSI, but I find that too uncomfortable, so I inflate them to 50PSI. Even then I have to permanently stand on the pedals and hover over both the saddle and the handle bars during the harsher descends, otherwise it's torture.

Thoughts on the wisdom of changing to the Pasela TR's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I had a pair of panreacer pasala tyres (not sure if they were the TG ones though) in 28mm size on my cyclocross-type bike. They were grand, very puncture proof and comfortable etc. I switched to continental ultragatorskins when they wore out but the max size is 28mm. This is good tyre, and compared to the paselas they're much the same in terms of comfort and speed. So yes would go for the 32s, the difference in speed will be worth it.

As regards the bumpy route you describe as 'torture', well that's the price you pay I guess. Mind you, standing on the pedals and hovering over the saddle and top tube is an entirely acceptable and standard way of dealing with bumpy bits on a normal road bike. Your legs act as an extra 'suspension'. I would say get used to it, and you're legs will get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I was looking at the TGs as my first choice but ended up getting Vittorio Randonneur 28s because they couldn't get the TGs in on time. 28s aren't too bad but I'd love to try a set of 32s for comparison.

I'm coming from 85PSI 26x1.3 Continental Sports Contacts and the 700x28s are harsh from that perspective :)

Advertisement