Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HID Xenon's Aftermarket Kits

• 24-11-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi,

has anyone successfully fitted these HID units that apparently are so easy to fit to your car. Is the light as good as they say it is? Is it as good as OEM xenons?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Yes,Yes and Yes!

Fitting takes about 15 minutes depending on the car,There output is excellent (ive the 8k kit which has a slight bluey hue) and ive no complaints with mine at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

oh nice one.

What car have you them fitted to?

Does the 8K output version give the same light but with just that blue hue? I read somewhere that they recommended the other version, don't know why though.

How did you fix the ballast modules to the car or did you leave them hanging?

Any chance of a few pics of what they look like?

Mine are on a civic,the 8k is supposed to give out less light than a 4k kit as all the K rating is is the temprature colour.In saying that the light colour on the road is white.I fixed my ballasts to the inside of the wing behind the headlight so there not actually visible to look in the engine bay.

Il try get some pictures of them,one thing for sure is there 100times better than any aftermarket bulb ive tried and definitly worth getting especially if you drive on backroads

EDIT - not my car but the same kit on another

Prelude-8000K.jpg

looks great. Yes I quite often to long back road drives....limerick to letterkenny on the back roads. Can be hard work during the Winter months.

A couple of the places in the UK charge about 350 euro for the kit. Is this about right or would you recommend anywhere cheaper for similar quality kits.

www.hid-lights.com

Go for the X5 kit and then the temprature you want,works out about 200 euro delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Any problems with radio reception when on? I've heard some kits interfere with the radio reception when they're on.

Hmm strange,cant say ive ever noticed a problem,granted i use cd's more so but never heard of anyone complaining with the X5,and most people i know are using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

eireal wrote:
    Yes,Yes and Yes!

Fitting takes about 15 minutes depending on the car,There output is excellent (ive the 8k kit which has a slight bluey hue) and ive no complaints with mine at all

eireal did you find any problems adjusting them because i hear they are suppost to be pretty hard to set right at least with low beams

Tbh i havnt touched the adjustments,my car was Nct'd just before i put them in so i presume the lights were positioned fine and ive had no flashes from oncoming drivers even on backroads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i just bought a set of xenon bulbs for an alfa 156.

is just getting the bulbs sufficient??? or are they useless?

this was the info i was given on them
    ALFA ROMEO 156 xenon 40% upgrade bulb kit H7 H1 501

what you guys think? any better then the standard halogen bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

gline wrote:
    i just bought a set of xenon bulbs for an alfa 156.

is just getting the bulbs sufficient??? or are they useless?

this was the info i was given on them
    ALFA ROMEO 156 xenon 40% upgrade bulb kit H7 H1 501

what you guys think? any better then the standard halogen bulbs?

if you bought immitation xenon bulbs. ie just regular bulbs but coated in blue seethru paint they are sh!te.

If you bought genuine xenon bulbs, you will need a ballast and wires to make the conversion.

I am 99% sure you bought a "kit" of ebay that costs no more than 20e , - what you have are not really xenon bulbs and im telling you they are crap.

dont even go through the effort of changing them, its not worth it.

If ou want better lights get a proper "HID kit" ...e-bay it

C_Breeze wrote:
    if you bought immitation xenon bulbs. ie just regular bulbs but coated in blue seethru paint they are sh!te.

If you bought genuine xenon bulbs, you will need a ballast and wires to make the conversion.

I am 99% sure you bought a "kit" of ebay that costs no more than 20e , - what you have are not really xenon bulbs and im telling you they are crap.

dont even go through the effort of changing them, its not worth it.

If ou want better lights get a proper "HID kit" ...e-bay it

well one of my front bulbs is gone anyway so i need to get that replaced anyway, so i may aswell get the rest popped in

this any good ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-9006-H4-H13-H10-H1-9007-H7-BI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ002QQitemZ120059341895QQrdZ1

there are so many types which ones would i need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ive been looking to get these in my motor for a while now. Can anyone recommend a kit for a 98 vectra b?

Im a student so something reasonably priced without compromising too much on quality would be nice.

Or would I be better off hunting the scrapyards to find a set of the facelift HID's that were fitted to some of the post September 98 Vectras?

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i bought from the same site as eireal . im going to go through the nct end of month / start of next month i havnt installed them yet but am bringing them to someone to get them installed and allinged correctly . i got different lights tho i got the gp thunder 12k ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 XenonMan

Hi everybody,this is my first post here.What a big board here,it took me an hour to get through all the titles.
    Regarding the after market xenon kits,dodn't be afraid,they pass NCT easy.I have done many cars already,and they passed the NCT from first time.So no worries here.
    To fit these kits are prettie easy,usualy there is a manual included,with step by step fitting instructions.From my experience,the hardest part is to find the plase and secure the balast/transformer.Usualy fitting takes from 1 to 2 hours,depends on the model of the car.

bigkev49 what kind of bulb goes in to your low beam head lights?If H7 or H1 i can supply and fit xenon kit for you stright away.And i give one one year guaranty as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

You can buy bulbs that contain xenon gas instead of halogen gas and they just take the place of a regular H7 or H4 bulb. I got Osram silver star H7 bulbs for my car and they are a good bit better but nothing like a full xenon kit.

H7 bulb test
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/61032/bulb_test_h7_50.html#

H4 bulb test
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203966/bulb_test_h4_plus_50_per_cent.html

Registration to autoexpress needed but its worth it!

Ice_Box wrote:
    You can buy bulbs that contain xenon gas instead of halogen gas and they just take the place of a regular H7 or H4 bulb. I got Osram silver star H7 bulbs for my car and they are a good bit better but nothing like a full xenon kit.

H7 bulb test
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/61032/bulb_test_h7_50.html#

H4 bulb test
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203966/bulb_test_h4_plus_50_per_cent.html

Registration to autoexpress needed but its worth it!

thats what i bought too, they are a good imrovment over standard halogen bulbs

gline wrote:
    thats what i bought too, they are a good imrovment over standard halogen bulbs
    I wonder how many LUMENS(quantity of light) do they produce?Standard halogen bulb produce about 1800K and real XENON bulb produces 3400L thats nearly twice as much.So you can feel the difference stright away.

XenonMan wrote:
    I wonder how many LUMENS(quantity of light) do they produce?Standard halogen bulb produce about 1800K and real XENON bulb produces 3400L thats nearly twice as much.So you can feel the difference stright away.

I dont know the answers to that but while searching I came across a new Philips H7 bulb which they claim is 80% brighter than a standard bulb

google for
    Philips X-Treme Power +80%

Here’s what Auto Express had to say about Xtreme Power:

This is so new, we could not randomly select test samples, so can’t include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative.

The results have been achieved in the same way as the 30 and 50 per cent lamps-by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge. This time though as well as reducing the filament and burning it hotter, Philips has shrunk the glass casing.

As a result, the gas pressure can be increased for better light output.Engineers have also optimised the geometry and shield position to focus the light where it is needed.

Do you know that ordinary halogen bulb lasts 400h and xenon bulb 2500h thats six times more.And xenon technologi is the future,and its on the rise at a minute.Thats why all new expensive cars have them as standard,they provide up to 3 times light compare to ordinary halogen bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I would think the future of car lighting is in LED's. A few high end makes have started using leds for headlights. We have had led brake and indicator lights for years.
    Gas discharge is great, but led is the future IMO.

BMW night vision is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uaTyNWcBI

Ice_Box wrote:
    BMW night vision is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uaTyNWcBI

yeh that seems pretty good

the bulbs i got i noticed they are brighter immediately, at say at least 50% brighter and they were cheap. Id still like to go for a full xenon kit though as they do last longer then standard bulbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 LiamONeill

do these hid full kits fit into angel eye headlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was looking to get HID Xenon bulbs for my Mazda 323 (H3's for dips and H1's for Full beams) and i was looking on ebay. Saw loads of sets for about €20, such as this one here: http://cgi.ebay.ie/MAZDA-323-95-98-XENON-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-HID-UPGRADE-SET_W0QQitemZ250076513224QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (although that is two sets of h1's)

Are they not what i should actually be looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here's a good link to a irish website..prices are very reasonable compared to dealer's and delivery is good..just ordered a replacement fog light and it was nearly 50% cheaper than dealer

http://www.micksgarage.com/

LiamONeill wrote:
    do these hid full kits fit into angel eye headlights?
    Yes they do fit angel eye headlights.Actualy they fit in to every headlight.The xenon bulbs made to fit in to standard bulb place.

just wana say that i got a kit supplied and fitted by xenon man, great job. amazing the difference in those kits and and a very reasonable price....... well recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ferdi2000

http://www.rtecshop.com/index.php?p=product_view&product_id=7673

H4 Ultra Xenon Headlight Conversion Kits - Virtual Daylight

pretty cheap!

• Advertisement

Price is good,you also can get these chieper on E-bay,but what about the warranty???Trust me if something goes wrong,they wount change your faulty bit because,they didnt fit it for you.I experienced that before,and it is not very pleasant.

What should it cost me to fit a H4 Bi-Xenon kit to my Skoda Octavia Mk 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Hi there.
    if you want them fitted for 200 or fit them yourself for 160 call me 0857379145
    smitas5@yahoo.ie
    all types: H1, H3, H4, H7, 9005 and more.
    temperatures 6000K, 8000K, 10000K
    6000K is the most recommended.
    I'm based in Co. Kildare but driving arround the country all the time.
    it is a lot safer to drive with HID.
    not just it looks nice, but your eyes are less tired after long drive.

by the way 6000K means that the bulb works at 6000 Kelvins temperature and it is slightly blue. 5000K is the nearest to original ones.
    6000K = 5727 Celsius but higher temperature means it is more blue or even purple after 10000K. but doesn't mean more brightness or better visibility.
    6000K is the best.
    Thank you

By the way we give one year warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got 6000k HID's for my car a few months ago, very easy to fit, and the difference in vivion is huge (FTO's were one of the first projector headlamps so not very good)
    here are before and after pics:

HID on passenger side, standard bulb on drivers side.
    fto9go6.jpg

HID's on mine, standard bulbs on the red one.
    4yts7ee.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

eireal wrote: »
    www.hid-lights.com

Go for the X5 kit and then the temprature you want,works out about 200 euro delivered

I have an A4 Avant. I think the bulb type is H7. Does the X5 kit cover low and high beam?

• Advertisement

What year is your A4? 99 onwards?
    cause if older then that it's H4
    200euro is a bit expensive. 160 is more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

It's '04.
    Does the kit cover low/ high beam though?

if it's 04' A4 then more than likely you will need H7 KIT. H7 bulb covers high beam or dipped beam. (only H4 can cover both and it was used on 95-99 A4's other than that H4 is very common on Japan import's)
    you probably will have H7 for dipped beam and H1 or H7 for high beam.
    so you would need 2 KIT's to cover high and dipped.
    99% of buyers have HID on dipped beam only. you probably use your high beam 1-2% of the time. the best thing is to check your bulbs yourself or check the manual. a set is 160. I could get you 2 sets for 300.
    Thank you
    http://www.hid.lt/marius/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

There are same Single Beam or Bi-Xenon (same bulb size + temprature) HID Xenon kits available with price ranging from around 35 US$ to around 375 US$. Cheapest are china made while most expensive I've found are from philips. Which one is good. I am looking for 6K Kit for Honda Civic 1.5 LSI. Which one (bulb size) would fit on to it.

Anyone for guidance? Thanks.

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    There are same Single Beam or Bi-Xenon (same bulb size + temprature) HID Xenon kits available with price ranging from around 35 US$ to around 375 US$. Cheapest are china made while most expensive I've found are from philips. Which one is good. I am looking for 6K Kit for Honda Civic 1.5 LSI. Which one (bulb size) would fit on to it.

Anyone for guidance? Thanks.
    civic will be 99% H4 and you can use bi-xenon. all other types are single.

• Advertisement

smitas5 wrote: »
    civic will be 99% H4 and you can use bi-xenon. all other types are single.

Can you please give me price for H4 Bi-Xenon as well as Single Beam?

Thanks.
    Zulfiqar

smitas5,
    I have ordered. H4 Bi-Xenon Kit from UK for 88 euros delivered with 2 years warranty. What are your rates including shipping? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

i would like brighter lights for my punto 02. what could i do. do i have to buy the kit

Cena, I would suggest you to go for HID kit either Bi-Xenon (Hi/Low) or Single Beam (Low) HID kit if you need brighter lights. Just google for HID Kits and you will find more details about this technology. Thanks. Zulfiqar

cena wrote: »
    i would like brighter lights for my punto 02. what could i do. do i have to buy the kit

In case you go for HID kit you will need H7 HID Kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

i don't want to buy a kit. could i just get light bulbs

cena wrote: »

I dont think only bulb can make difference. if your car has normal bulbs you mighty want to upgrade to halogans but I doubt if you can fit HID bulbs straight away.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've seen some badly alligned ones recently that are blinding. Are these legal? Read you need self adjusting lights that self clean? Also that you need projection, rather then reflection headlights? I've a 04 avensis with h7's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

projector beam headlights don't seem to cause problems, it's just reflector types that do. Avensis has projectors.

Does anyone have drawing or instructions as to how to fit HID kits on the car? Does HID kits car specific in terms of wiring?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement