Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed call from 0818 365 1350

Options
  • 24-11-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have found a few missed calls on my landline from 0818 365 1350. I got another call just now that just beeped when I answered it. The number does not seem to be a valid number.

Any ideas who these jokers are?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Calls to 0818 numbers are charged at national rates. As far as who these jokers are, perhaps some marketers "testing" their system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is a recorded message to say that the call is not valid & its the 4th call so far this morning. Its getting a tad annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bond-007 wrote:
    There is a recorded message to say that the call is not valid & its the 4th call so far this morning. Its getting a tad annoying now.

www.regtel.ie and complain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

RegTel deal with (as per the link you gave) "Premium Rate Telecommunications Services". 0818, as UW has already pointed out is a national rate (called a "Universal Number"), so does not come under their remit.

I don't know what you can do, other than ring your provider and see what they have to say. The revenue share on an 0818 number is so low, I'd be surprised if someone was doing this for profit.

Move from IoffL > Nets/Comms, as it's nowt to do with IoffL.

.cg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cgarvey wrote:
    The revenue share on an 0818 number is so low, I'd be surprised if someone was doing this for profit.
    the fines are so low that there is no real disincentive apart from the cost of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I used to net these calls, sometimes at 3 in the morning. Problem was sorted when I had to change my number for another reason <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Bond-007 wrote:
    I have found a few missed calls on my landline from 0818 365 1350. I got another call just now that just beeped when I answered it. The number does not seem to be a valid number.

Any ideas who these jokers are?

Regards
    Hi from what little i could find in a google search on that number it seems to be something to do with Eircom and fixed line sms, if that's of any use to you.

K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

complain to odca@entemp.ie and to consumerline@comreg.ie about this . Its called

phantom caller fraud or missed caller fraud or callback fraud and is more commonly found with premium numbers in the cli .

eg

http://scott.yang.id.au/2006/05/mobile-callback-scam/

The objective is to make money by
    fraudulently inducing a person to call a number back and where the person whose number it is will be paid for it.

An 0818 missed call will result in a 3c a minute ( I think , did not check) payment being made to whoever 'planted' that number on your landline or mobile number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

That number belongs to eircom and is the number of an SMS server. Sometimes these malfunction for whatever reason and an SMS is sent as a phone call.
    The problem is either with the SMS server or your phoneline is not correctly handling SMS traffic.
    Either way give eircom a ring 1901 and report it as a fault.

I don't accept SMS traffic. It seems to have stopped for now. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SweetB

I just recieved 3 calls from this number ,it does get annoying:mad:, should it be reported???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yeah call 1901 and report it as a fault.

1901 is only for eircom customers. For other providers you need to contact them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That service is usually only activated if someone previously sent an SMS message using an SMS enabled handset from that line at some stage in the past.

Normally, if you send an SMS to a landline, eircom converts it from text to speech and it's read out as a voicemail or a message when you answer the phone.

Any of these numbers will be able to sort you out!

Helplines:
    eircom - 1901
    Talktalk - 1902
    BT Ireland - 1904
    Vodafone at Home - 1907
    UTV - 1890 926 111
    etc etc.. check your provider's website!

Advertisement