Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil engineering and architecture

Options
  • 24-11-2006 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hey,

ive been to the DIT website and looked all over it for the points required to get into civil engineering or architecture there but cant find them! i did my leaving cert (matric) in South Africabut was only there for my leaving cert year. Will this have any effect on my grant application and my chances of getting into the two above courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The points change from year to year. The points are a reflection on how popular the course is that year, nothing to do with the course content. Colleges often dont put up points as it could discourage people from applying.
    Check out CAO.ie to get previous years points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 structural

www.thecivilengineer.net released

be a member and share you knowledge about civil engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

No civil engineering in DIT - bolton street do structural engineering - pretty much the same just slightly less emphasis on drains and transport though its still covered, degrees, diplomas and all that, the full time degree is a common first year course DT025 I think the points are about 400, could be as low as 320 though, dont have a clue.

No clue about how you would apply for it with a south african matric, I'm presuming through the CAO as usual.

If you want my honest advice though, and please take this with a grain of salt. The structural engineering course is a pain in the arse - I'm a final year student in it, and while I cant wait to be an 'engineer' the course was pretty difficult. If I had the choice now to go back and start over, I would seriously consider doing something equally as difficult like Actuary which pays off far better.

I know you wont take this advice, but I reckon if you talked to anyone in my class they would say the same thing to you - if you do the course think of this when your in fourth year and imagine me saying, I told you so!! =P

Advertisement