Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should be mandatory?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

maidhc wrote:
    The fog lights being on is by far the lesser of these evils. I really don't see the big issue. Maybe it is me, but they are not half as blinding as a set of HIDs coming towards you.

SMV signs should be compulsory, but as it stands even using an amber flashing light on a tractor appears to be illegal.

Fog lights create an extra hazard to oncoming motorists, or when the vehicle behind you has their fogs on.

One of the worst of such cases are Renault Traffic vans which have round fogs low in their bumpers....which creates the situation of 4 x big lights coming towards you instead of just two! ...likewise trucks with fogs on :mad:

Vans and trucks headlights by their nature are high up and cause a lot of glare when travelling behind you....now add in another set of 'headlights' (i.e. their fogs) and it makes things even worse!

God knows that driving can be challenging enough without creating extra unnessecary hazards by using fog lights!

Re; Amber Lights being technically illegal on slow vehicles....
    Yes, this is the current situation, but if a garda summonsed someone for using one of them, then he/she is a fool.....and I have been told this by other gardaí ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Silvera wrote:
    - Rear 'Slow Vehicle' sign on all tractors, JCB's, etc (see pic below)

Would most people not know that a JCB will be slow? (excluding Fastrac!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

colm_mcm wrote:

At night all you see is a dark shape and two red lights (if you're lucky) ...difficult to guage speed from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

I met one at night once with NO lights... but that is a different story.

The SMV is very useful on traliers where it isn't obvious what speed they may be travelling at. This is particularly so on dual carriageways(and motorways*) where a car can bear down on a tractor at an alarming speed (I have been at both sides of this particular fence).

*Tractors with a speed of 50k are legal on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Mate bought a jap import Integra Type R lately and there was a space in the passenger footwell for an emergency flare! how cool is that? asked the guy who brought it in from Japland to get one for him and sure enough it slotted right into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Turning off fog lights should be compulsory unless they are used in fog or falling snow.

Sorry it already is, but is simply ignored by many, and the law is not enforced.

Check this.

I cant see why manufacturers dont have some sort or warning sound for when you have your fogs on. ie if you have it on for more than 10 mins, a bell should start chiming until you turn it off. If you are genuinely infog you could flick it off and on.

My uncle had an early 90's mazda estate (iirc) years ago that had a bell for when you went over the speed limit. Unfortunately it was an import and the speed limit in Japan must be around 100km. Was very annoying on long straight roads.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Had a Honda Civic Shuttle that had the speed warning on it too. I have a MK 2 Mondeo and the instructions to change the bulb are as follows:

1. Remove the front Grille.
    2. Unbolt and remove both headlights.

Crazy, I can just about manage to change them without doing this but it is very tricky. The funniest thing about it is it is in the 'roadside emergencies' section so your there at night by the side of the road taking off the front grille and headlights.

You would think there would be one guy in the design team who might say " hay maybe we should make the bulbs a easier to change!"

Advertisement