Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating from VB6 to VB.Net

Options
  • 24-11-2006 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting on a large migration project from vb6 to vb.net. The situation is that we can't completely replace the system with a .net system for operational reasons, so we have to do it piece by piece.

Does anyone know or have experience or using forms created in VB.net in VB6?

any help would be great!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I don't belive you can use forms created in VB.Net in vb6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i know there are runtime callable wrappers but i don't want to even go there.

so is there any way to migrate a vb6 system piece by piece or does it all have to be done at once???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

ooh come to think of it you could prob put a Com+ wrapper around it and you would be able to call it from VB6.

If I was doing this I would convert all the Non GUI stuff first and then
    convert all the GUI. I think you are going to have fun with some parts of the app in VB6 and some in VB.Net

it can't be done any other way for operational reasons. the big bang approach is not an option. wrappers is the way to go!

The system is really big so it will take a while!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok

You can use the VB.NET migration wizard to experiment with migrating your existing code to VB.NET

Also you can implement a change on how you call your components to make them late binding rather than early binding which allows you to change you code without needing to reregister it each time in the project..

If its a VB6 windows app with COM objects you can migrate the front end fairly ok and then use the above to help you eliminate the COM code as you change it.

Its all COM+ you can add the COM into your project in the add references (COM+) tab

• Advertisement

it's over 300 forms so the migration wizard leaves me with thousands of issues that i would have to deal with.

So basically what you are saying is that I can create com obecjts out of my current forms and call them from .net?

Advertisement