Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max GPU Resolution vs. LCD Reolution

Options
  • 24-11-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

I am planning to buy a new PC early next year and was going to upgrade from my 17" LCD.

The monitor I have and all I've looked at only have max 1280x1024 (non-widescreen) resolutions but the latest GPUs all have much higher max resolutions!

Whats gives ? If a 8800gtx has a whopping max res but a new 19" monitor has max res of 1280x1024 then am I stuck with the max 1280x1024 ?

Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In short yes.

The monitor determines the max resolution allowed not the GPU (at least in the majority of cases).

You buy a 1280x1024 display that's as high as the resolution will go.

But also a 8800GTX is total over kill at that resolution if you want lots of processing power for current & future games to run everything at max details with AA/AF enabled then just get the 8800GTS. You'll have processing power to spare so should you get a higher res display you will be able to make use of it. Or get something cheaper from lower end of the GPU spectrum that will do job at 1280x1024 just fine like a 7900GS minus AA/AF, if you want max details plus AA/AF get an X1950XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

you must overclock your monitor to support the new graphics card.

astrofool wrote:
    you must overclock your monitor to support the new graphics card.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks guys. So how do I overclock a Monitor !?

OK. Just reading a 8800GTS review that has benchmarks at 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1200! What Monitor could run at those resolutions ?

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/977/5/page_5_benchmarks_test_system_setup_and_3dmark05/index.html

• Advertisement

Lots do.

Do you have a budget in mind for this monitor as that is usually the determining factor on how high you can go.

These benchmarks will give you a roughly good idea in current games how the cards stack up at various resolutions.

8T8 wrote:
    Lots do.

Do you have a budget in mind for this monitor as that is usually the determining factor on how high you can go.

These benchmarks will give you a roughly good idea in current games how the cards stack up at various resolutions.

Well it will be March (SSIA time and DX10/Vista) before I can purchase but I reckon a max of 2.5k (for the whole system) would be the budget.

Currently I have AMD 3200xp, 1G ram, 6600GT w/17" LCD. So not many upgrade options there. Thats why I think its best to wait until March.

Well I doubt things will have changed much but by then but the most common display I've seen spreading is the 20" widescreen with a max resolution of 1680x1050.

With an 8800GTS or GTX you will be able to run pretty much anything at that max res of a display like that. 20" widescreens can be gotten for a reasonable price anywhere from €300-400.

As for 1920x1200 those are on even bigger displays ones that hover around the 24" or greater category. These can be very expensive going well up to & over €1000.

As there is some time between when you will be making a decision there is not much point in picking out a current model as newer models may replace the current ones with better specifications at the same price point and ATI will be launching their DX10 cards early next year so we will see how they fair against the GeForce 8 series.

Cheers 8T8.

I was just having a look around Komplett.ie and all their 20" LCDs only support 1280x1024 !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

brianon wrote:
    Cheers 8T8.

I was just having a look around Komplett.ie and all their 20" LCDs only support 1280x1024 !?

They were probably not Widescreen. 1680x1050 is a widescreen res and 1280x1024 would be standard for most 4:3 screens

• Advertisement

OcUK have a good selection as well of widescreen displays, them label them a little bit better than Komplett do.

As Pacifico points out look for the resolution which shows it as widescreen or not.

Advertisement