Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Cut Pro

• 24-11-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm buying a laptop in the next month and wondering what editing software I can run on it. Iknow Adobe Premier and iMovies etc can run on most computers with very little hassle but can final cut pro?

Basically I want to be able to learn how to use either Final Cut Pro or Avid, but i think with Avid i'l actually need a desktop ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I'm buying a laptop in the next month and wondering what editing software I can run on it. Iknow Adobe Premier and iMovies etc can run on most computers with very little hassle but can final cut pro?

Basically I want to be able to learn how to use either Final Cut Pro or Avid, but i think with Avid i'l actually need a desktop ?

I know it's obvious but you need a Mac for FCP.

No avid xpress pro can and does run on a laptop and can work off firewire.

Either way you'll need at least 512mb of ram (and I'd recommend a gig at least.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is also Final Cut Express which is a lot cheaper and as far as I can tell has a huge amount of the functionality of it's bigger brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Final Cut Pro Express will do more or less anything that a home user needs out of Final Cut Pro and it's the perfect program to learn FCP with. You'll need a Mac for it, and it's still not very cheap.

If you go with a PC, Avid Xpress is superb. They have a free version don't they? I'd go for Avid over FCP, but it doesn't really matter, they're as poweful as each other.

As far as RAM goes, if money is an issue you can video edit quite easily with 256MB, but your render times will be longer and you'll have to be pretty easy on the computer (save often, but that goes with all video editing on any system).

For a more basic, very cheap and really quite wonderful beginner's program for editing, try Pinnacle's software. It's not as basic as you'd imagine and is a great stepping stone to the bigger programs like FCP or Avid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Don't try edit with anything under 512 RAM, XP uses 250 Megs on its own! Avid advise you have 512 as a minimum.... Get a gig if you can.

Advertisement