Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat - checks?

Options
  • 24-11-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im looking at a VW Passat 04, 1.9 TDI 130bhp. Its and English spec SE, leather interior, 5 speed.

Now it isnt vrt'd as yet but the seller is doing so in the next couple of days. He is asking for 14000 for it after he VRT's it. Now this seems a very good price for it. It used to be a fleet car hence there is 80000 on the clock.

My brother is a mechanic and is checking out the car to see if its mechanically sound but i have to do the paper work. He thinks its a great deal.

Just wondering how do i go about checking that it is not a dodgy car, IE previously crashed, finance still owing etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

95.9% chance it's clocked or crash repaired, the car is about 2-3k too cheap even for a UK car. Check the service history, if there's none walk away, if there is a service history ring the dealers and see that it actually was serviced. Also as was said do a HPI check to see if it's a crashed repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

hpicheck and full and complete service history: book stamped and lots of receipts.

There was a 3 year old UK car, very high spec, mentioned here a while back that had covered 162,000 miles.

I'd be demanding a complete account of the car's history. If any aspect of it was missing I would not believe what the odometer says, and simply walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Is it a NI car? I was looking at the same engined Golf from NI but was warned to stay away from them, something to do with "washed" diesel or something? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Bought an Irish one anyway, great engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have an import Passat from UK, 02 130Bhp 5 gear Highline, these cars will go for years. The one thing to check is the timing belt. When you need to check etc. You know that once they go over 100k the price for resell drops alot but if you plan to keep for a long time then no problem. I resell my cars every year so I like to keep milage down when I buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes get a HPI check done in the UK. This will tell you if the car has been crashed, has outstanding finance, service history including any MOT failures and will verify the mileage. When checking the car, make sure you take note of the chassis number and UK reg number. You will need these for the HPI check. Also check that these match those on the UK registration document.

Advertisement