Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crap crap CRAP! Need help quick.

Options
  • 24-11-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, I bought an Antec NSK1300 mATX case about a week ago. I was installing a bracket that affixs to the "custom" L-shaped PSU that is supplied with it, when the head of the screw broke off (cheap screws :mad:) leaving all the threads in the screw hole. I looked around and the method for removing screws is to drill a small hole in the middle of the threads then screw another screw into that and when you unscrew it, it should take the threads with it...

Well, I drilled a hole, screwed in a screw and removed the thread, BINGO! I thought... wrong, I had inadvertantly drilled through the back of the fixing and through obviously into the PSU PCB :eek: as it will now not work at all, I tried the paperclip trick to no avail.

As there really isn't any external damage to the PSU should I try and RMA? As far as I can tell I haven't drilled completely through the PCB so it looks normal on top, I obviously must of just cut one of the circuit lines. Would you say they'll take the PCB out of the PSU and find the hole underneath it? I've looked online and can't find any suppliers of this PSU (it WOULD have to be a custom PSU for this case?) I tried the online store at Antec but it looks like they are charging €72 before shipping for a replacement, that over 2/3's what I paid for the whole case :confused:

Any suggestions or places to source a replacement would be helpful. Are there any online stores that you can just request a part and they'll order it in for you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

send it back, id imagine the odds of them finding the hole would be pretty slim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah, i was thinking that myself, but i'll have to pay shipping then if they do find it i'll have wasted that money. Plus there is a pretty good 12cm fan in which I could salvage, if I send it to them I won't see it again and i'll still be out 1 power supply. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

how old is it ??if u just bought it under 2 weeks they will not do much inspections on it and send u a new one(hopefully).but if it is older then that i think they actualy send it to the supplier and then they check it out.

well thats my impression on ocuk.

:D

and i think you have learned ur leason drills and psu dont match :D

oh, I was going to send it directly to Antec, as they will only want the PSU, won't OCuk want the whole case back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hmm would not say so give them a ring tomorrow?

and also would put it tru ocuk better chance of ya getting 1 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

send it back, its not a problem.
    rma's arent that strict, its unlikely they will find out what you did
    i rma a lot of stuff and never had an issue

alright, cool. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see about sending it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

If you rma to ocuk they will want everything back, and will want to know what is wrong with it before issuing an rma no., and will thoroughly inspect it for the fault once they receive it. Usually unless the product arrived damaged they go back to the manufacturer for their analysis before issuing a refund or replacement. In your case there is nothing wrong with it (besides the damage you caused) so they will either find nothing wrong or find you drilled into it. Either way they will return it to you and charge your credit card 20 quid plus the cost of shipping it back (so 40 quid). The only way to "rma" it is to return it under distance selling regulations. However to do this, you have to notify OcUK within 7 days of receipt of goods. And send it back at your own expense, with all the packing in place. The goods have to be resellable. Again they will inspect everything. I know this for a fact as I spend up to 8k euro a year with them and have gone through rma's on many occasions.

Antec have the best support in the business and the fastest turnaround times. You could ring them up and tell them you have a faulty psu in your new case and would like to rma it directly rather then sending complete case back to OcuK which will be very expensive and time consuming. Usually they only ask you to send a receipt. This happened with my antec p180. Rather then ship the heavy case back to OcUK I contacted Antec and had a new sidepanel in under a week. Then again, they may ask you to ship them the psu first but I doubt it.

Personally I think you have a better chance with Antec. OcUK will certainly twig what is going on and then the jig will be up.

So you do work for OCuk... dammit, the mole has caught me :D

WILL OCuk need the whole case back? I'll contact both Antec and OCuk on monday and find out what the deal is. There is no visible damage on the outside of the case, and i've had a look inside through the vents and there is no visible damage on top of the PCB or inside. The ONLY way they are going to find the hole is if they unscrew the PCB and take it out (or they could read this thread :rolleyes:)... I doubt they are in the business of taking that amount of time to fix a faulty PSU. But if i'm going to have to pay to ship the hole case then i'll take my chances with Antec, supposedly their PSUs arent the best from reading around as they use cheap capacitors so they might be used to just getting returns and just replacing them, plus they have already told me they'd just want the PSU back, not the case.

Depends. Have you had the case more then 7 days. If not, then send them a webnote and say the case is not what you expected and would like to return it under distance selling regs. They will refund you the cost of the case to your credit card provided it's exactly the same as it was when they sent it out. You won't get back any shipping costs. If you are happy the case is perfect and have it less then 7 days then go for it. Otherwise they will tell you to stuff it as they have no obligation to accept something back unless it's faulty.

Your 2nd route is antec like I said. They will only need the psu, or good chance they will just send you a new one providing you can email or post them a receipt of case/psu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Pity about the next guy who gets caught with the psu ,
    my house was robbed last year and my insurance company paid me for two hard drives which were damaged.

To be honest I would take the hit, and buy another psu. But that's me.

Flaccus wrote:
    To be honest I would take the hit, and buy another psu. But that's me.

I actually was thinking of just doing this myself, save myself the hassle and just buy another one. But I can't find them ANYWHERE, i've contacted a few e-tailers that seem to stock all Antecs range (PChealth.ie etc) about the chances of getting this PSU, still waiting for a reply. The only other place is direct from the Antec store. I went through all the steps to purchase it but when it gets right to the end where it wants you to confirm payment using paypal the shipping changes from €14 to €3,500 :eek: I've cleared my cache and cookies, tried again and it keeps happening. Other then that I can't think of anywhere else that I can get this PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=360

This is the one, right? Perhaps you can buy direct?

Can someone just test this for me, here is a link to the PSU I need off the european Antec site. Go through the steps up until you get to the screen with the price of the shipping and the PSU calculated. It keeps coming out as €3,436.00 shipping for me :confused:

I have an Enermax Venus case (a bit battered) which has a 270w mAtx psu. Rated pretty decent by all accounts. If you cover the postage I can send this to you during the week for nothing if that helps.

http://pcabusers.com/reviews/enermax/venus/page1.html

I think the psu is almost the same as ths one. I know it only has a 20pin atx connector though.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-012-EN

This isn't a normal mATX PSU, its L-Shaped, and the connector is seperate from the main PSU. I'd love to take the PSU off you put I don't think it will fit.

If you look at the pictures of the PSU further down this page you will see what I mean. The indent in the PSU is needed so that the mobo and CPU heatsink can fit underneath. There really isn't an ounce of space spared in this case, but it also means everythings custom. It would go with my luck that the first PSU i've ever blown would have to be one of the hardest ones to replace :confused:

Hard luck man. Sorry to hear it.

Try and get Antec to send you one for free. Tell them it's blown, and you don't want to send the whole case back to OcUK. See where that gets you. At worst they tell you to send in your receipt and old psu and dispatch a new one in a few days. Alternative is to send whole lot back to OcUK and tell them psu snuffed it. Then you will have to argue over refund of shipping costs as their stupid policy only allows for something like 14 euro back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

L31mr0d wrote:
    Can someone just test this for me, here is a link to the PSU I need off the european Antec site. Go through the steps up until you get to the screen with the price of the shipping and the PSU calculated. It keeps coming out as €3,436.00 shipping for me :confused:

€ 59,95 € 59,95

Sub-Total
    € 59,95
    Shipping € 3.436,00
    Sales Tax € 0,00
    Invoice Total € 3.495,95
    Store Credit -€ 0,00
    TOTAL DUE € 3.495,95

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for testing that nipplenuts. Glad to see its not some problem with IE on my end or my cache. They must only be setting up the european antec store as nothing seems to work right on it.

I rang Antec only to get an asian woman with broken english on their tech support :( I had to say "I need an RMA" about 10 times before she got it. She then proceeded to tell me to email them instead :rolleyes:

So lets see how long I have to wait for an email reply

• Advertisement

Just as a conclusion to this. I sent off the PSU direct to Antec. I have to say there support is second to none... by email, do not try and ring them for support, every time I did they just told me I'd be better off emailing them.

Anyway, the lady replied almost straight away to all of my emails. I had an RMA number about 30 minutes after my first email requesting one. I sent off the PSU, and they sent out a new one the day it arrived with them (so i'm guessing they didn't much checking of it except for a quick eyeball)

and heres the new PSU... although, i'm not complaining as it was my fault it broke in the first place, this PSU is clearly one of the old ones used for the Aria, and not the newer one used for the NSK1300. As the one I sent to them had a 24pin power connector and this one only has a 20pin connector. Not a problem though as I have a few spare adapters.

Alls well that ends well, looks like my lucks picking up :D

antecpsu.JPG

Advertisement