Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help setting colour/contrast on laptop

• 24-11-2006 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

just got a new laptop
    its a dell inspiron 9400

compared to my old crt the picture is terrible
    how can i adjust the colour and contrast ?
    with a crt monitor the display setting buttons are on the frame of the monitor
    cant find any way of setting display on laptop

i have tried the options in control panel-display

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not too familiar with that model

but usually on dell's there is a blue Fn key at the front left and the F1..F12 keys or the Up/Down arrows have a blue symbol for brightness *

most laptops are set to be less bright when running on the battery only, pulg in the adaptor - if it brightens up then check power settings in control panel - or whatever dell utility comes with the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

yes i know about brightness - it doesnt help much

in general can you adjust colour/contrast on laptops ?
    surely it would make sense to have these features like a crt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Right click on the desktop and click on Properties. Click on the settings tab. Click Advanced and then have a look around on the tabs that are on the window that opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

green123 wrote:
    yes i know about brightness - it doesnt help much

in general can you adjust colour/contrast on laptops ?
    surely it would make sense to have these features like a crt

Brightness and contrast buttons are normally next to each other. What do you mean adjust the colour? I haven't seen a laptop screen that has similar on screen features like that of CRTs. If you mean to get the computer to show more colours then do as soundman suggested, right click on the desktop and click on Properties. Click on the settings tab. You can change the colour quality there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

i know about the properties, settings - they dont help

i have a brightness setting as capt says earlier, but no contrast

i suppose ill just have to accept that the display will never be as clear/sharp as a crt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

many laptops don't have contrast because there should be nothing to adjust - it's a technical thing not a missing knob

maybe the video driver has a gamma control ??
    also don't forget that the colour will only ever be 100% when looking at it directly rather than at an angle

Advertisement