Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Glass Blower for custom piece

• 24-11-2006 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Im not sure if this is the right place to post but I'll give it a go.

Having unsuccessfully scoured the web and mailed a few people around the country I'm turning to boards to help.

I am looking for a glass blower to make me a customer piece. Its just a small clear glass heart, only 3 inches wide & tall and about an inch or two thick.

Inside I want to seal some ashes in the center of the heart.

Does anybody know a glass blower ? or where I could find one ? I've tried the arts council, and people listed on that site but nobody has come back to me.
    and its been weeks since I have sent the mails etc.

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Glass-addict

Hi, oldboy,
    I see you posted this ages ago, I don't know if you are still interested. I am a trained glassblower, although I am no longer working in the field. I think I may know why you have gotten so few if any replies from glassblowers in relation to your request. I don't think you could possibly make it they way you suggested. 3 Inches is incredibly small for a glassblower, especially with a specific shape, like a heart. You may have more success with a lamp-worker, or somebody who work on a small scale. The trouble is, is that the glass is worked at a high temperature, and ashes could not really be safely be sealed inside as they would simply burn off to nothing. Unless of course, you made it in two parts, and later sealed it together whilst cold. But then you would be working on an even smaller scale, which gets more difficult. To be honest, I am not sure it could possibly be made, simply because the preparation that must go into it would be too difficult, and perhaps for nothing, seeing as it is so small.
    I'm sorry if this is bad news for you, perhaps you have already found somebody who has told you. I wish you well in your quest anyway.
    Good luck!

Advertisement