Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck for Xmas

• 24-11-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Its the 1st christmas dinner for me and my fiance this year that we are cooking, last couple of years we've gone to either set of parents.

I don't fancy getting a turkey for just us two, so was wondering if anyone has any nice duck recipes for christmas dinner, with appropriate seasonal veg

I found this one on the net, sounds quite nice.
    Roast duck with pancetta and potatoes
    The point of this recipe is that the potatoes absorb some of the duck fat, you can then balance the richness with some peas with lemon and mint.
    serves 2-3
    1 large duckling, weighing about 2.5kg
    150g pancetta
    5 or 6 little thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
    6 medium sized potatoes, such as Maris Piper
    a wine glass of Marsala
    olive oil, mild, not fruity
    2 medium onions, roughly chopped
    Preheat the oven to 200 c/gas 6. Remove the giblets from the duck, rinse the bird inside and out and pat it dry.
    Peel the potatoes and cut them into finger-thick slices, dropping them into cold water as you go. Cut the pancetta into cubes, then put it into a large roasting tin with a tablespoon of oil, over a low heat. Let the pancetta flavour the oil, but don't let it colour. Introduce the slices of potato, shaken dry, and let them cook slowly.
    Add the onion and the thyme leaves to the potatoes. Turn everything gently as it cooks, letting the potatoes and onions colour slightly. Season and remove from heat.
    Prick the skin of the duck with a fork then season it inside and out with salt. Lay the duck on top of the potatoes then put in the oven and roast for around an hour, until the potatoes are soft and both they and the duck are golden. From time to time, push the spuds, particularly those that are browning quickly to one side, and spoon any cooking juices over any that appear dry.
    During the cooking, carefully tip off most of the fat that has not been absorbed by the potatoes. Test to see that the duck is done. There should be no blood in the juices and the skin should be crisp and singeing. Remove the potatoes to a warm dish.
    Turn the oven up to 220 c/gas 7. Put the duck back in the oven and let it crisp up for 5 minutes or so then move to a warm dish. Quickly pour the Marsala into the roasting tin and place it over a moderately high heat (you don't want it to boil away), scraping at any stuck bits in the pan. The idea is to get any pan stickings and sediment to dissolve into the gravy. While the sauce is bubbling, carve the duck and serve with the potatoes. Check the pan juices for seasoning , then spoon over the duck.
    Any fat left over shouldn't go to waste - it is one of the most delicious of all cooking mediums. Put it in the fridge to set, then use it for roasting potatoes.

Sounds really nice...

Also with regard to sourcing said bird, i live in Navan so should i just go the the local butcher or can anyone recommend somewhere

I work in Carrickmacross in Monaghan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gotta say that looks nice. Its printed and sent home to Mama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Gutted, a duck'll cost appx €40 for a free range organic bird.
    My butcher was telling me that it'd be a waste of time buying the bird, better off buying the breasts!

I dunno, now i may go for turkey crown with a small ham! More traditional, plus you can always make turkey curry from the left overs!

Advertisement