Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust Removal

Options
  • 24-11-2006 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    What's the best way to get rid of rust on a van (White Ford Transit)? My new (2nd hand) one has a few patches that I'd like to cover up. I've been told the white colour is "diamond white" I think.

Is it just a case of getting sand paper (will wood sand paper do?) and giving it a bit of a rub down and then applying the paint over the area?

What paint/sand paper/other products should I use and what method is best?

Would appreciate any feedback:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A bit of sand paper won't do.

The metal has to be absolutely blank. No rust left and no black spots either. And when you think its blank ...give it another rubdown.

A Dremel kind of yoke with proper grinding "stones" (not metal brushes!) would do the trick.

When the metal is dry and blank (no sweaty fingerprints either) use primer first, possibly zinc based. Leave to dry through and then apply paint.

Most likely you're going to create one or two little holes, where the rust is too deep. You'd want to fill them first. Not sure what is a good filler, though.

Advertisement