Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim scholars call for female circumcision ban

Options
  • 24-11-2006 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6176340.stm
    Muslim scholars from around the world have called for female genital mutilation to be banned and those who carry it out to face punishment. At a conference on the subject in the Egyptian capital Cairo, the scholars said governments should enforce existing laws against the practice.
    Earlier, the top religious authorities in Egypt said religion offered no justification for the procedure. Female genital mutilation is widespread in parts of Africa and the Middle East.

It is relatively unknown in most other parts of the Muslim world, including South and South-east Asia, North Africa and Saudi Arabia.
    This topic was mentioned on another thread, and is probably worth one in its own right. This would look like an encouraging initiative, and consistent with the view that this is a cultural practice rather than a religious one.

At the end of the day, this practice will only be ended if the societies affected decide that’s what they want to do. But while I can’t imagine Westerners saying ‘don’t circumcise your tasty looking daughters’ does much to assuage the concern of parents who approve of the practice, presumably external interest in the topic gives some impetus to change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Schuhart wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6176340.stm
    This topic was mentioned on another thread, and is probably worth one in its own right. This would look like an encouraging initiative, and consistent with the view that this is a cultural practice rather than a religious one.

At the end of the day, this practice will only be ended if the societies affected decide that’s what they want to do. But while I can’t imagine Westerners saying ‘don’t circumcise your tasty looking daughters’ does much to assuage the concern of parents who approve of the practice, presumably external interest in the topic gives some impetus to change.

People in areas where it's practiced need to be educated on the issue, though I'm not sure exactly how that could be done. But they need to be shown why it is a highly unnecessary and damaging procedure, just ordering them to stop won't end it. It is already illegal in most of the African countries where it's still practiced, with a hefty jail sentence if you're convicted, but I imagine enforcing such a law is easier said than done. Perhaps they could introduce screening of all girls once they reach a certain age.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

more for humanities or Islam forum.

As I recall the practise is not obligatory at all, just some of the more fanatical appear to practise it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you read the whole article, it says that (a) leading Clerics have made such a call before, and it didn't take effect, and (b) the practise long predates Islam. It just happens to take place in areas where Islam is a dominant religion.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It's often seen as such a Muslim thing, and yet many people fail to realize that Islam is a world religion, and though they may follow the same one God allah, a Sudanese Muslim may not recognize as Islam the life of a well intentioned, faithful Irish Muslim.
    Female circumcision is more a geographical than a religious problem, and while this is a very positive news story, it isn't exactly very surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If you read the whole article, it says that (a) leading Clerics have made such a call before, and it didn't take effect, and (b) the practise long predates Islam. It just happens to take place in areas where Islam is a dominant religion.

The first thing that went through my head when I read this was that I'm pretty sure the concumption of alcohol would have also taken place in areas where Islam is now the dominant religion.

Does this mean we should expect to find a lot of Muslim areas where the Muslims drink?

If not, then doesn't it at least suggest that there is a tacit acceptance of the practice (even if only through non-condemnation, or non-follow-up-on-condemnation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Does Ireland have legislation on the books banning FGM?

Where I live (Georgia, US) there is such legislation. I believe it was penned only a year ago. The 1st case has already been tried however. It was in fact, the 1st such case in the US. Can't remember the exact details, but a girl's father received a very stiff penalty.

Ah, here it is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6108516.stm

I believe mandatory sentencing is part of the new law.

I don't think too many people were sympathetic to the weeping father...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

bonkey wrote:
    The first thing that went through my head when I read this was that I'm pretty sure the concumption of alcohol would have also taken place in areas where Islam is now the dominant religion.

Does this mean we should expect to find a lot of Muslim areas where the Muslims drink?

If not, then doesn't it at least suggest that there is a tacit acceptance of the practice (even if only through non-condemnation, or non-follow-up-on-condemnation).

In fairness, murder, rape, homosexua relations, theft, abortion, lying and hatred still occur in Muslim countries along with female circumcision as they did before the arrival of Islam. Does this mean any of the practices therein are accepted as part of Islam? Certainly not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bonkey wrote:

With the caveat that I have experience of only one Muslim country, it seems that drinking may well be more prevalent than many would believe.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

In fairness, other societies have issues around sex and particularly pregnancy outside marriage. In our own history, it essentially involved restricting access to contraception combined with applying a high level of shame to births outside wedlock. Also, teenage pregnancy is seen as something that brings a host of problems in its wake.

This is not to excuse this practice, but simply to point out that the kinds of pressures that lead to people regarding this as a solution exist elsewhere. Given that Islam is another religion that regards sex outside marriage as sinful, it is understandable that the ‘implementation’ of that religion in societies that practice circumcision creates no immediate conflict.

I think both problem and solution lie deeper than religion. One of the things that struck me in browsing the topic on the BBC website is an account by a woman of how her grandmother arranged for her to be circumcised at age eight. Simply getting the practice out of people’s mindset seems to be the challenge. This girl’s granny probably had a parent tell her ‘you’ll thank me in the long run’. Apparently she did, enough to want the same for her grandchild. Can anyone explain that?

Advertisement