Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what gfx to get guys??

Options
  • 24-11-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok my old card is on the way out and need a new card i can get the gts for (450 dont pay vat) but am wondering should i bother getting a new dx10 card or just get a 1900xt 512 for around 340 or again get some thing like a goldsample to tide me over to 2nd range of dx10 cards.ok what would be the cheapest card that should be able to get me high settings done need all the aa stuf tho for the next 6 months .

hope you bhoys can help!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Punctuation, people. I thought this thread was about something completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Spend about 250 and get an X1900XT ? mine only cost 300, including VAT, 3 months ago. It can handle anything I've thrown at it without breaking a sweat, at 1680x1050

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

sorry for the bad Punctuation but im abit dyslexic.

were could i get a 1900xt for 250 ??second hand ??but need a card soon.will try ebay in a few minutes gota eat dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can get a Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB brand new for €275.

There wont be any second generation/refresh cards at least not for a year so as NVIDIA's built the 8 series to be actually good at DX9/10. Most of what will come out next year will be lower performing parts with the possibility of higher clocked GTX in case ATI's flagship DX10 card put's any pressure on NV's 8800GTX.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

I completely agree, X1900XT all the way - best value option by far. I'll give it a year or so before I would a dx10 card. Even thought the cards (one as far as I know) have become available it will be a while before games take advantage of the new standard. The X1900XT is great value and hasn't given me trouble on any game. - I run @ 1600*1200.

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    You can get a Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB brand new for €275.

I didn't see your post - that is a fantastic deal.

hmm could i get a second hand 1900xt 512 for 300??

or would the 1950xt 256 the best read some review and seems nice it able to reach the specs of the 1950 xt 512 with a overclock.

but would the 256 memory make a diffrence ,in gaming or anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As far as I know, the difference between a 256MB and 512MB card is very marginal.

As far as I know, the difference between a 256MB and 512MB card is very marginal.

I'm not an expert on gfx cards but my recently acquired X1900XT with 256MB can has a kickass GPU that has never struggle with fps on any new game at max res. The only problem occurs with large textures. The only game that crashes is company of heroes when i turn the textures up to ultra. It runs fine and smooth untill it suddenly crashes. I put that down to having 256 not 512 MB, as I heard texture size was very demanding in COH.

There is probably a difference in the core speeds of the two card types. I can't imagine this making much of a difference on all but the most demanding games (e.g. COH)/ high resolutions.

• Advertisement

hmm just dont know what do go for???

well, you could try and get a second hand 512MB (don't see any on ebay), but i don't really see the point. You said yourself that the 256MB card can be OCd to near 512MB card levels and you also get the warranty with the new card should anything happen.

hmm ya think i might go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Certain games that use 512 megs of VRAM, not all of them mind you, can show big performance drops with 256 megs compared to 512 megs. I picked up one of these back in september for 300 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-053-CO . Can't say I didn't have some issues, my first card was a dud, but the second card they sent me has been great other than one time at a lan when I got some artifacting in COD2 due to overheating, but I'm chalking that down to the really low airflow in my case.

It's been a great card for me, and now that I've figured out that it was NOD32 crashing my catalyst control center twice on every boot up, rather than ATI's retarded drivers I'm in love with it.

cool will go for the 1950xt then.

Advertisement