Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spyware?

Options
  • 24-11-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I just opened the box of 2142 (which means now I Can't return it :/ ) but there is a leaflet telling me I will be spammed with adverts in game.

Can anyone fill me in on wtf that is about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

lol dont got there sister :p

Its an ingame adserver that sends what ads you watch in game to a master server which shows you tailor made ads. It also sends website info that you view via cookie scan.

So if you see goat sex ads in game you know why :D

kdjac

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

KdjaCL wrote:
    lol dont got there sister :p

Its an ingame adserver that sends what ads you watch in game to a master server which shows you tailor made ads. It also sends website info that you view via cookie scan.

So if you see goat sex ads in game you know why :D

kdjac

Has anyone on an Irish ISP seen any ads yet? So far I've yet to see anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Spear wrote:
    Has anyone on an Irish ISP seen any ads yet? So far I've yet to see anything.

heh prolly guinness adsonly for us :o

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I havent seen anything yet, Personally i dont think its anything to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seen no ads yet only the "we want YOU for the eurofarces" on the billboards. And the keep your heads down snipers about :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I thought there was some legalese problems with that in europe, so only the yanks have to put up with the ads. Dont like the idea of it , I'd be distracted by ads of big breasted women and get shot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

never seen a single ad. and it doesnt do a cookie scan.

it puts ads up based on your location, then tracks if you look at it and for how long and the data is sent back. when you join a server you get a random number id it doesnt take your account info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As jaggeh said it's pretty harmless IMHO. It just tracks what ads you look at in-game, how often, from what angle, etc...

If you have time to even notice the ads in-game then you probably need to change the way you play 2142 :)

Nothing madly new as it already exists in a whole bunch of other games like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Advertisement