Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranoia Agent?

Options
  • 24-11-2006 8:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a newbie to the ainme/manga sector (only watched Ghibli, Akira and Steamboy really) but have seen Paranoia Agent DVDs around. The covers are oddly hypnotic. Sounds like my kinda thing, but Ive heard it's a bit hardcore. Reccomended, or should I try some tamer material first?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

get it, it's ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

It's definitely worth watching, but don't listen to those who claim it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You could try one of Satoshi Kon's films first.

Paranoia Agent is pretty much made up of ideas he had left over from his films.

Tokyo Godfathers is probably the most accessible. Then there is Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

Yes, highly recommended; either dubbed or subbed, it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

You could try one of Satoshi Kon's films first.

Paranoia Agent is pretty much made up of ideas he had left over from his films.

Tokyo Godfathers is probably the most accessible. Then there is Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.
    Tokyo Godfathers is good, haven't seen any others as of yet though. Perfect Blue looks... interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

watch perfect blue first, it's only a movie, so it wont take up an entire weekend.

if you like that, you should like paranoia agent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have got through five episodes of Paranoia Agent now and think it's excellent. Only seen Tokyo Godfathers as well, which is superb.
    Very tempted to order the PA boxset, since cant get it anywhere in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I managed to get all four volumes of PA in Tower Records on Wicklow Street (just off Brown Thomas on Grafton St. if you don't know it) I havn't been there for a while, so I'm not sure what they're stocking right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Tower has some pretty good deals on anime boxsets at the moment.

A lot of them don't seem to be UK discs though. I think the Paranoia Agent DVDs I got there were from Australia or some place as they had volumes 3 and 4 in stock long before they got an official release here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tower has some pretty good deals on anime boxsets at the moment.

A lot of them don't seem to be UK discs though. I think the Paranoia Agent DVDs I got there were from Australia or some place as they had volumes 3 and 4 in stock long before they got an official release here.

Yeah Tower is the place for Anime, but the PA DVDs are around 30 euro a pop. Lazer have some in stock too. But you can get the box set for less than 50 online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I have the box that came with the first disc and I got the second disc off the monkeyfudge man. the second disc was really when it just got messed up with the
    superhero crazy crap
    goin on. never got the 3rd or 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Have got through five episodes of Paranoia Agent now and think it's excellent. Only seen Tokyo Godfathers as well, which is superb.
    Very tempted to order the PA boxset, since cant get it anywhere in town.

I bought it in Tower meself. Up to episode 9, the cuts in episode 8 are a bit irritating, but don't spoil the overall experience, which is excellent.

There's a lot of similarities between Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent too, so if you like the former, definitely give PA a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I have the box that came with the first disc and I got the second disc off the monkeyfudge man. the second disc was really when it just got messed up with the
    superhero crazy crap
    goin on. never got the 3rd or 4th

You should at least get the third volume to check out the "Family Planning" episode. It was and class, and certainly my favourite of the series also the one with the animation studio thhat was pretty cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RonaldCox23

Thats my favorite edition..:cool:

Advertisement