Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham offer for SWP

• 24-11-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

£10M offer to Chelsea for SWP, which would mean an £11M loss for chelsea.

Wouldn't be surprised if cfc got rid of him, I honestly don't think SWP has ever lived up to the expectations of him and I always thought he was too weak, physically, to be able to survive a close tackle. He looks great when given space but never makes it past the first challenge these days without going over.

Its dissappointing to see him go when I thought he would be a great addition to the squad, but letting Duffer go must have been a much harder decision to make.

and its only an £11M loss anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Love to see Liverpool move for him, can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I wouldn't mind seeing UTD go for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Yeah, I think it looks like he's on his way to the Hammers and I'd say "his old man" had a bit to do with it too with his contacts at The Hammers. Pity he never lived up to the expectations and will be a good acquisition no matter where he goes.

MD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think it was a case of living up to expectations, more of just not being given a chance. I can't see how any young promising player could join Chelsea, it's a dead-end for their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Don't think it was a case of living up to expectations, more of just not being given a chance. I can't see how any young promising player could join Chelsea, it's a dead-end for their careers.

Stupid amounts of money will soon sort that out, but Joses policy of buying finished superstars ala Shev and Ballack will hopefully push the good young players to Utd and Arse where they might get a game.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How so? Chelsea doesn't seem to be a dead-end for Cech, Essien, Robben. They are all younger than SWP and are doing ok at Chelsea.

They getting their game and were internationals playing at highest level pre chelsea, SWP wasnt and needed to be "blooded" something that wasnt going to happen in a Must win every game team.

At least now if he goes somewhere else hes under less pressure to fulfil his potential.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SWP is not worth £10 million let alone that insanely obscene figure chelmoneybagski paid for him from their loose change

You'd think after Tevez and Mascherano West Ham would be more careful with who they sign and the price they pay, takeover or no takeover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

KdjaCL wrote:
    Stupid amounts of money will soon sort that out, but Joses policy of buying finished superstars ala Shev and Ballack will hopefully push the good young players to Utd and Arse where they might get a game.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    They getting their game and were internationals playing at highest level pre chelsea, SWP wasnt and needed to be "blooded" something that wasnt going to happen in a Must win every game team.

At least now if he goes somewhere else hes under less pressure to fulfil his potential.

kdjac

so, are you saying arse and manu are not must win game teams? Or that SWP isnt one of the good young players that chelski have? ;)

so, are you saying arse and manu are not must win game teams? Or that SWP isnt one of the good young players that chelski have? ;)

Im saying Arse and Man U will play players...examples Fabregas at 16, eboue Clichy , Utd with O Shea and Fletcher.

Granted they may lose games but the 120K a week mentality isnt there they are still footbal clubs who produce and play their own players from a young age. Not a billlionaires Fm2007 game where every game is a must win.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

SWP was an explosive player who looked the part at City. I hope Chelsea have not damaged his career in the long term. Anywhere is better than Chelsea right now.

It will be interesting to see what tactical genius will now replace Joses current strategy when losing, i.e. bring on Robben and SWP. Maybe Geremi will be called into this strategy now.

Would anyone else have reservations about West Ham right now?

WHU have a solid team from back to front assuming Ashton is playing of course but they got 2 world class players who have yet to adjust to the PL.

If SWP went there and Tevez and Mash gelled with PL ,they would be a joy to watch again.

/old people will remember Bishop/moncur and their lovely ball playing exploits :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

While Id love to have seen liverpool go for him, even 10 mill is a bit much. would have preferred spending 10 on him rather then 7 on pennant alright though.

This does potentially open the possibility of Benayoun moving though, Rafa is a fan of his, think he'd be a good addition.

Hope SWP can get his career back on track now anyway and we'll get to see some magic week in week out from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

SWP was an explosive player who looked the part at City. I hope Chelsea have not damaged his career in the long term. Anywhere is better than Chelsea right now.

It will be interesting to see what tactical genius will now replace Joses current strategy when losing, i.e. bring on Robben and SWP. Maybe Geremi will be called into this strategy now.

Speaking as a West Ham fan id say he could fit really well into the side. Young lads like Green, Konch, Gabbs, Reo, Ethers and Ashton. He would force his way back into the England picture very quickly. Like portsmouts takeover last christmas expect much money to fly around upton park with the likes of Mears, Cole, Mascherano and Paintsil going out the door. However, very reliable source has told me that Tevez will stay until the end of the season as he wants to prove himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd hope Villa might be go in for him, O'Neill is giving his wish list to the new owner Randy next week and I'd be surprised if SWP wasn't on it. 10 million shouldn't be a problem. God that sounds weird still getting used to Doug being gone and Villa actually being able to pay for decent players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

~Rebel~ wrote:
    While Id love to have seen liverpool go for him, even 10 mill is a bit much. would have preferred spending 10 on him rather then 7 on pennant alright though.

This does potentially open the possibility of Benayoun moving though, Rafa is a fan of his, think he'd be a good addition.

Hope SWP can get his career back on track now anyway and we'll get to see some magic week in week out from him.

Well now that were in the knockoouts as group winners, I *think* that throws us an additional 10 mil....? I was very disappointed that SWP never joined in the first place. Class is permanent, he remains a great player if a little ring rusty but Chelski would never sell him to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

From a football wide point of view, I'm happy to see SWP and Obi Mikel fail at Chelsea, as I feel it will be warning to kids to joining that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

PHB wrote:
    From a football wide point of view, I'm happy to see SWP and Obi Mikel fail at Chelsea, as I feel it will be warning to kids to joining that team.

:rolleyes:

one could also point out, Robben, J Cole, Essien who aren't exactly geriatric yet and have succeeded at chelsea. Young Kalou is alos getting more chances to prove himself. SWP has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself also,but for whatever reason never shone in a blue shirt.

Jon obi is definately looking like more trouble than he was worth but after all the fuss I can't see Chelsea selling him on for a long time.

growler wrote:
    :rolleyes:

one could also point out, Robben, J Cole, Essien

They were all internationals and playing in CL or other week in week out before Chelsea bought them ie Grade A players. PHB in his bitterness :p is right young unproven players should stay away from Chelsea, Chelsea only buy them to stop others having them and they wont get the blooding they need to make it to Grade A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

If West Ham do end up with SWP, and Tevez and Mascherano ever do adjust, they will have a fairly impressive line-up going forward.

SWP---Reo-Coker---Mascherano---Benayoun
    Tevez
    Ashton

With the likes of Sheringham, Harewood, Mullens, Etherington and Zamora to come off the bench. On paper, that's as good as anyone outside the big 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DaBreno wrote:
    I *think* that throws us an additional 10 mil....?
    You get a lot of money playing in the Champions league but certainly not £10m for reaching the last 16. :) You get £1.5m for reaching the last 16 and then your gate receipts which is probably an extra £1m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Not convinced by Mascherano, a poor mans Makelele if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not convinced by Mascherano, a poor mans Makelele if you ask me.

Give him time, he'll come good definately, just gotta give em time to adjust.
    Remember, they have probably new language, new culture and everything to learn and then have to train and work hard to play good football in England, which is probably the most demanding place to play, not just for the style of football, but also the blood hungry wolves they have working in the media there.

You can hardly accuse Shevchenko of being a bad striker, but like anyone, it just takes time to adjust, when Sheva comes good, he'll be banging them in from everywhere. Same with Tevez and Mascherano

Advertisement